Building new system: Which MoBo/Chipset?

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hello.

I'm about to build a new system around a RME-Hammerfall DSP audio interface. I'm doing quite a lot of MIDI and audio processing with my system. It will probably have Kingston HyperX DDR-400 memory (1GB). I'm not sure what cpu, mainboard and chipset to buy. I'm leaning towards Athlon64, since it get top marks in almost all benchmarks, and it's a bit cheaper than Intel. From this forum, I've chosen 3 boards that might be what I need. I'm looking for a quiet system. They are the Asus K8V Deluxe, the Chaintech ZNF3-150 and the MSI K8T. Does anyone of you folks have any experience with the RME hammerfall in an Athlon64 system with one of these boards?

Any input is welcome here.

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">www.digital-music-guide.com</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those "early" A64 chipsets are not top end parts, but nVidia recently released the nForce3 250 to replace the not-so-great nForce3 150. It's packed with features, you'll want to look up info on it. Anandtech has some articles. I expect boards supporting this chipset to be RUSHED to the market in as little as 2 weeks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>