PC Controller and/or XBOX 360 Wireless Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchwinegal

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I have a regular PC Controller - it does not seem to work.
I have tried a XBOX 360 CONTROLLER and the wireless dongle - and it does not work either
i HAVE INSTALLED THE NECESSARY DRIVER for all the controllers.

-? In the 360 controller I do not have the usual charge pack on it but a set of 2 rechargeable batteries -
-> I doubt this would make a diff for it working with the PC but figured I'd mention it.

I have tried both of these with the game NECROVISION -
-> Does anyone know if Necrovision uses a controller?
-> There is no option in-game to choose "controller" or "mouse/keyboard"
- there is just the keyboard/mouse options

-> I find it strange that such an up to date game would not be able to be played with a controller ->
-> Is this still typical for PC games?
-> I don't play PC games because it's always been keyboard controlled and I HATE THAT!!!

crispy7

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Wat up
I may be incorrect but I think an xbox 360 controller will work in most any "games for windows" title. I have the wireless adapter and I remember it needed to be intstalled( search google for a driver).

I could not get it to work on my new pc with the wireless, BUT if you have a recharge cable or even the stock cable to plug the controllers in, it WILL work plugged into you pc through a USB port. Try it out the recharge kit only 20 bucks and well worth it if u don't have the cable
I have played fallout 3 farcry2 and fsx with the 360 controller no problem

JazKW347

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
i have a 360 controller with the recharge cable but it wont seem to work. I have all the necessary drivers installed but it won't work, what should i do?

isamuelson

Distinguished

It won't work in what? The game the OP was talking about or any game? If you're talking about Necrovision, then no, it won't work with ANY controller other than mouse and keyboard because that is how the game was programmed.

If it's not working in any game, I don't know what else to tell you. It should work as long as you downloaded the correct drivers from Microsoft.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Have you ensured that the controller shows up in the Device Manager? From there, you can check to ensure all the buttons work, etc.

If so, and you don't see it there, then either something is wrong with the controller or you don't have the latest drivers installed. Did you get the XB360 Controller drivers for Windows from Microsoft?

Go to this site -> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming&type=Gaming&sku=JR9-00001

It will already have the XB360 controller chosen. You just need to choose the correct operating system. Make sure you choose the correct one (Vista/Windows 7) and the architecture (32-bit or 64-bit version). Finally, choose your language and then click go and you will be able to download the correct driver.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Okay, have you gone to Start->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Devices and Printers?

In there, do you see an icon for an Xbox 360 Controller for Widows? If not, then something is wrong. Either the drivers are not installed correctly or the controller is bad or your USB port is bad.

If it does show up, then right click on it and select "Game Controller Settings". Make sure the Xbox 360 controller is highlighted and then click on the Properties button. From there, click on the "Test" tab and start moving the sticks, d-pad and hitting the buttons to ensure they all work.

If you have more than one controller installed, go back to Start->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Devices and Printers, right click on the controller and select "Game Controller Settings", highlight the Xbox 360 controller and click on the "Advanced..." button and set the Xbox 360 controller to be the preferred controller.

If that still doesn't work and the buttons are working, then unplug all other game controllers and leave only the XBox controller plugged in and see how that works.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Sounds like something is not installed correctly then. I would do the following in the order listed:

■Uninstall the XB360 drivers.
■Go to the device manager and uninstall the XB360 controller from there.
■Reboot
■Plug in your XB360 controller
■Install the Xb360 drivers

Hopefully that will fix things

isamuelson

Distinguished

It still could be bad. You don't know if it was dropped at the store before you purchased it, something happened on the way to the store via shipment, etc. I've had it happen to me where something was bad after I brought it home from the store.

If you have another computer to try it out on, do that as well to see if it works there. Maybe your USB port is bad? I don't know. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like either the controller is faulty, the USB port is faulty or the drivers were not installed correctly.

Follow the directions in my previous post and see if that fixes it.

If none of this works and you tried it on another computer and it still didn't work, then I think you know the answer. Hopefully, you still have the receipt so you can exchange it, but I'm hoping that it's just a bad install that occurred and once you do the steps I stated, that should hopefully fix it for you.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Did you hook it up to another pc and try to install the drivers that way? Are you certain it's an official Microsoft XB360 controller and not some imitation version? What do you mean by "recharge cable"? Is it a wireless? If it is a wireless, have you charged it? Are the batteries in? Did you put the infrared receiver into the USB port? I'm not familiar with the wireless version as I didn't want to deal with batteries and such.

As for checking for damage, it could be inside on the circuit board. There could be a broken wire in the USB cable, etc (assuming this is a wired controller and not a wireless controller).

I'm at a total loss because I purchased a controller over a month ago and had no issues getting it to work.

I'm really thinking it's the controller is bad. Again, you may not see the damage. It could be internal, it could be a bad chip on the board inside the controller, it could be anything that just looking at it from the outside may not be able to discover.

I say, take it back to the store for an exchange and see what happens.

isamuelson

Distinguished
BTW, here's a link to the instructions (which I'm assuming you already have, but just in case):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/2/3/623083ad-4c1b-4660-8733-bcc79ba5a1df/X12-35608-01_NA_EN_FR_ES.pdf

■You're supposed to install the software first.
■Next, connect the receiver to a USB port on your computer.
■Next, turn on the device (in this case, pushing on the Xbox Guide button in the middle of the controller)
■ Connect your device by pressing the button on the receiver until the green light blinks and then on the device (there's another button on the front of the controller. If you look at the directions, it tells you what to do)

david276

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Not recognized... I plugged in and out several times and on maybe the fifth time it said "installing device software"... about 30 seconds later it recognized and installed the Xbox 360 Controller..

Before the un and reinstall in that order I had plugged and taken out about 14 times all together.

This is clearly one of two things..1. a glitch btw maybe older xbox 360 controllers (mine is certainly older ) and the driver/ software package that comes with the download. What ? I dont know.. I have yet to test a newer controller

2. The usb controller on your/ my motherboard... I have yet to update mine since building pc (2010 ) so that may be an issue(ipod, phone, mouse, keyboard,and other things work fine though.)

The controller has been rarely used in the last year and has sat in my office mainly. It still functions perfectly on the actual xbox.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had no problem what so ever. Plugged and played...
There may be an issue with it not being there constantly when the computer turns off and on through out the days. Just throwing things out there..

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
There is a very little button on the controller somewhere , press it...

That what was my problem when i purchased the adapter... i couldnt get it work, seems the little button need to be pressed when changing from PC to Xbox , and be aware that your xbox isnt near your PC , its will power on the xbox, so its will not work with the pc ...

Sometimes its simple but you couldnt notice it :p

toxic2409

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

For people with a wireless xbox 360 controller uninstall all drivers reboot, reinstall drivers from microsoft website, then plug in the USB it should say looking for drivers but most likely wont find any. then go to Control Panel \ Device manager, go to other devices. you will see unknown device right click on it then click on update driver software, then browse my computer for driver software then, let me pick from a list......then go to microsoft common controller for windows class... then click on last on receiver driver. should be all good to go then.

Status
Not open for further replies.