Bios Beeps AND Freezing/Lock Ups

TotiDog

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
I have been unable to get constructive help. I have used memtest86 v3.1 to check memory on my pc. The test showed no memory errors. But, EXACTLY as test 5 begins I get bios beeps. Now, the reason why I was checking memory relates to the following:
My problem is two fold.
1. I get BIOS beeps (either continuous or equal length equally spaced beeps - irritating) upon clean reinstallation of Operating System.
2. We now also experience lockups (always) during ALL game play (e.g. Sims)

I have dual boot system with Win98SE (I know, sic, but it was installed to see if the problem was software related) and Win2K. I do not suspect any software, as the problem is experienced in 2 different operating systems, both with all updated drivers. I have used process of elimination to determine the problem. I tried a new Display Adapter (video) card ~ no change; removed the Sound Card ~ no change; tried using either OS ~ no change; Updated all/most drivers ~ no change; reformatted both hard disks and reinstalled all software ~ no change; stopped all programs from running in background, e.g. antivirus, etc. ~ still no change. I have checked both rams seperately ~ no change. Also, although I don't have a manual, the BIOS beeps appear to refer to possible CPU fan failure/overheating ~ my fan works and temp seems to be at 98, which seems normal too, alternatively it refers to possible video card failure ~ I have tried Radeon 9200 video card and still get freezing during game play, so I have kept my slightly older video card in (saved $90)

If YOU had to be in this situation, what hardware component would you suspect and most likely replace to solve the problem?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First thing I'd do is try another power supply. That's easy for me since I have spares.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>