Lessons Learned

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 2, 2005 4:02:43 AM

I've always said that every HC death should teach you a lesson. But
sometimes you get lucky and you can learn from a NDE (near death
experience).

I've been running Hell Mephy for items. About 130 runs in the bank and I'm
up to 348 MF (I figure it's going to take at least 500, and probably closer
to 1000, to get enough gear for us to make a run at the Ubers Orion). The
only Fast Cast I have is from a Wizzy, so I don't feel comfortable porting
to the stairs down to D3. So my technique is to run, and when confronted by
a group of monsters, teleport past them. Working pretty good, the only
stressful incidents involve Mana Burners combined with Might, Conv, or
Fanat. Well I was doing some runs the other day, and I was experience some
jumpiness with my cursor, but I wrote it off to the 1.11 induced lag. So I'm
running and porting when I came upon a group with the tell tale Might aura
at their feet. I tried to port past them, but my cursor jumped and I ended
up smack in the middle of them. And as fate would have it, they were Mana
Burners too. My 1800 life was almost gone and I hit juvies and tried to
teleport away. But I couldn't control my cursor, and those bastard Dolls
were hammering me. Chug and try again, and chug and try again, and before
long my 16 juvies were gone. And still I couldn't gain control of my mouse.
Figuring it was lag induced I resorted to Save and Exit (normally I don't
believe in using S&E to survive). When I created a new game I still had the
jumpiness, so I started to think that maybe it wasn't lag. So I checked my
mouse and took the cover off the back. There was enough dirt on the little
wheels inside to plant a garden. So I promptly cleaned both of my mouses
(mice?), and no more jumpiness.

So as a service to my fellow gamers, I advise everyone to check their mouse
and keep the little bugger clean. And none of us will have to see the
message "your character was slain by a dirty mouse".

Regards-
Mark

Bongo Fury

More about : lessons learned

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:10:04 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005, "Mark" wrote:

>> I've always said that every HC death should teach you a lesson. But
>> sometimes you get lucky and you can learn from a NDE (near death
>> experience).

>> So as a service to my fellow gamers, I advise everyone to check their mouse
>> and keep the little bugger clean. And none of us will have to see the
>> message "your character was slain by dirty mouse balls".

LOL!

Been there, dumb that.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:59:29 PM

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:D EMRe.9351$fP.2988@trndny08...
> I've always said that every HC death should teach you a lesson. But
> sometimes you get lucky and you can learn from a NDE (near death
> experience).
>
> I've been running Hell Mephy for items. About 130 runs in the bank and I'm
> up to 348 MF (I figure it's going to take at least 500, and probably
> closer to 1000, to get enough gear for us to make a run at the Ubers
> Orion). The only Fast Cast I have is from a Wizzy, so I don't feel
> comfortable porting to the stairs down to D3. So my technique is to run,
> and when confronted by a group of monsters, teleport past them. Working
> pretty good, the only stressful incidents involve Mana Burners combined
> with Might, Conv, or Fanat. Well I was doing some runs the other day, and
> I was experience some jumpiness with my cursor, but I wrote it off to the
> 1.11 induced lag. So I'm running and porting when I came upon a group with
> the tell tale Might aura at their feet. I tried to port past them, but my
> cursor jumped and I ended up smack in the middle of them. And as fate
> would have it, they were Mana Burners too. My 1800 life was almost gone
> and I hit juvies and tried to teleport away. But I couldn't control my
> cursor, and those bastard Dolls were hammering me. Chug and try again, and
> chug and try again, and before long my 16 juvies were gone. And still I
> couldn't gain control of my mouse. Figuring it was lag induced I resorted
> to Save and Exit (normally I don't believe in using S&E to survive). When
> I created a new game I still had the jumpiness, so I started to think that
> maybe it wasn't lag. So I checked my mouse and took the cover off the
> back. There was enough dirt on the little wheels inside to plant a garden.
> So I promptly cleaned both of my mouses (mice?), and no more jumpiness.
>
> So as a service to my fellow gamers, I advise everyone to check their
> mouse and keep the little bugger clean. And none of us will have to see
> the message "your character was slain by a dirty mouse".
>
> Regards-
> Mark
>
> Bongo Fury

Yup, I use a track ball, and I still have to clean them regularly. Just one
more item for the overworked adventurer to deal with. Add this to the list
of sharpen swords, buy more arrows, repair armor, and other mundane tasks we
must deal with to keep our status as hero's LOL

Good advice, and thanks.

Ruben
September 2, 2005 6:17:38 PM

While pondering glazed doughnuts Mark <bongofury@verizon.net> mistakenly typed
:
: I've always said that every HC death should teach you a lesson. But
: sometimes you get lucky and you can learn from a NDE (near death
: experience).
:
<snippage>
:
: So as a service to my fellow gamers, I advise everyone to check their mouse
: and keep the little bugger clean. And none of us will have to see the
: message "your character was slain by a dirty mouse".
:

A good reminder, especially for D2 players. Those damned things pick up dirt
pretty fast and it really makes the mouse work poorly. If you have pets it's
even worse. Sorry to hear you died to it.

I've got a wirelss optical mouse now, so all I need to worry about is the
batteries going dead.

"Your character was slain by dead batteries"
-dave
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:29:04 PM

Mark wrote:

> I was doing some runs the other day, and I was experience some
> jumpiness with my cursor, but I wrote it off to the 1.11 induced lag . . .
> And still I couldn't gain control of my mouse.

That's interesting, because I've actually noticed since 1.11 that my
cursor jumps all over the screen.

I use an optical mouse, even replaced it with a brand-new optical
mouse, and I'm still having the same problem. I'm heading in one
direction when suddenly my cursor jumps to one corner of the screen or
the other. I don't experience this with other games, or when I'm
surfing the Net. I'm not even sure that it's in any way related to the
game.

Now, with 2 cats in the house, and having waist-length hair, I'm used
to having something in my apartment clogged with fur/hair at any given
time, but I don't think optical mice work that way. Still, about 80% of
the time I feel like I am positively fighting my mouse when I play.

Jill
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:42:57 PM

"neithskye" <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mark wrote:
>
> > I was doing some runs the other day, and I was experience some
> > jumpiness with my cursor, but I wrote it off to the 1.11 induced lag . .
..
> > And still I couldn't gain control of my mouse.
>
> That's interesting, because I've actually noticed since 1.11 that my
> cursor jumps all over the screen.
>
> I use an optical mouse, even replaced it with a brand-new optical
> mouse, and I'm still having the same problem. I'm heading in one
> direction when suddenly my cursor jumps to one corner of the screen or
> the other. I don't experience this with other games, or when I'm
> surfing the Net. I'm not even sure that it's in any way related to the
> game.

I have an optical mouse also, and it does the same thing. But it's not
game related because I see it happening at other times too. I haven't
noticed it playing D2 but I think it's kind of funny playing WoW and
walking along, then for no reason at all, the cursor jumps to a corner
and I start spinning like a top.

wizofwas
!