Sign in with
Your question

Installing without disturbing XP (Second Drive)

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
October 24, 2004 4:33:08 AM

I want to install linux onto my computer without disrupting XP. I tried Knoppix, and it seemed to be alot faster loading some internet sites, and it is just fun to have something different. I have a 20GB Maxtor 7200 rpm harddrive from an older computer that isn't being used anymore and since I won't be installing massive programs on Linux (I don't think so anyway) I won't need more than that (Anyway, can't I save onto the other harddrive?) How would I do this exactly, I was assuming set it up as a slave, but it already has XP on it too. Would there be a way to do this without disturbing the XP already on that drive? I was thinking of using KNoppix to repartition the drive with just a little bit for the XP since I don't need it (XP already on main drive), and then putting Linux (Red Hat most likely) onto the new partition. Any problems/directions/suggestions? Any reply is welcome.
October 24, 2004 10:21:33 PM

Create two partitions. Make one Linux (hda2 or hdb), the other FAT32 or NTFS for windows (hda1 or hda). Install windows on hda. Then install Linux on the second partition. Linux is pretty good nowadays about dual booting...it shouldn't be too difficult. Make sure that whatever distro you use, you check the user forums (search them that is) about dual booting and any problems they might have experienced.

I wouldn't use redhat...but that's just me. I used to use it until version 7.2...used slackware before that in the mid nineties. Now I use Debian based distros because they resolve dependencies when you install new programs...redhat won't do that and you'll be stuck searching the net for all of your dependencies which you'll have to install one by one. With Debian, it's two commands, sit back...watch it install, then you're ready for your newly installed package. Dat's why I like <A HREF="http://"http://mepis.org"" target="_new">MEPIS</A>.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS
October 25, 2004 11:34:03 PM

Okay, I used Knoppix to make my Swap (About double the ram) and main partitions for Linux, I can choose those to be my partitions without doing any more mods right?
October 26, 2004 9:36:34 AM

Yep. You should be ready to go!

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS
!