khrisjon1205

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003
at the moment i have a real buget motherboard for my 2400xp but i want to upgrade it to one with more overclocking potential. my problem is when i first got this computer i had it built by some1 elseand included int he price was nortan system works and word 2003 proffesinal, i wantto keep these but i heard that if you dont reinstall windows after changing motherboards then you get driver conflicts and ur system lags

what can i do

peace

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Hi Khrisjon, I'm not the best one to answer this, you can see by my sig I'm still using win98se. I assume you have XP.

Here's a link to an article explaining how to change mobo's w/o a reformat (to clear out the chipset drivers) <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=113" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=113</A>

I've also read a lot advice that says reinstall XP over top of old and boot up and you will be prompted to the install new drivers. Not only do I not have XP. I always reformat when I change mobo's. So I don't know how well it will (or not) work.

The problem is the chipset drivers for your mobo. When you change mobo's you'll need the specific CS drivers for it.

Maybe you can copy those proggies to a cd and reinstall? I would think that's the best. No more worries about losing them.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

khrisjon1205

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003
thanks 4 the reply have read the link will just try to install over the old copy and if not will b tuff luck

but i do have another question if i found the folder that office xp was installed in could i just copy these files and install them on a clean install of xp pro?

thanks for all the help

peace

pat

Expert
When you install something on your comp., the install copy files (DLL,...) all over the place in the Windows directory, add entry in the registry, ... so you just cannot take the files from the program directory. It simply wont work. or may try tu run and ruin your Windows installation. Some small programs can be copied like this, but for forget that for thing like office.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!