how fast?

peter

Hi! I got mobile kit and I am connecting to both verizon (14.4) and my ISP.
Both connections showed 230 kb and both are seems much slower then 50 kb
from land line. Am I missing some settings on Win XP, or is this really 230
kb?
Thank You for any help/advice

"Peter" <piotr@cwnet.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I got mobile kit and I am connecting to both verizon (14.4) and my
ISP.
> Both connections showed 230 kb and both are seems much slower then 50 kb
> from land line. Am I missing some settings on Win XP, or is this really
230
> kb?
> Thank You for any help/advice

When you are connecting to your ISP, are you using direct dial to your ISP's
phone number, or are you using #777 for the phone number and connecting over
the network?

If you dial the ISP's number directly (instead of using #777), it will
ALWAYS connect at 14.4 but show whatever speed is set between the computer
and phone (in your case, 230 is the speed between the computer and the
phone. Even at higher speeds it will always show 230)

peter

Thank You for reply. I am using #777 for the quick link 14.4 and my dial-up
number for other ISP. Tech at Verizon told me, that with quick link will
always be 14.4, but my ISP my gave me more, depending on ......
Anyway thank You a lot

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:23:59 -0700, "Peter" <piotr@cwnet.com> wrote:

>Hi! I got mobile kit and I am connecting to both verizon (14.4) and my ISP.
>Both connections showed 230 kb and both are seems much slower then 50 kb
>from land line. Am I missing some settings on Win XP, or is this really 230
>kb?

The 230 kbps you see is the link rate, the speed between your handset
and computer. The actual speed of Verizon's Quick2Net service is 14.4
kbps, for National Access it averages 50 - 70 kbps.

> Thank You for reply. I am using #777 for the quick link 14.4 and my
dial-up
> number for other ISP. Tech at Verizon told me, that with quick link will
> always be 14.4, but my ISP my gave me more, depending on ......
> Anyway thank You a lot

You said you had mobile office correct? There are usually two connections
that come with it. QWK2NET and Express (Now National Access but the old name
is still in the software, called something like 'Express Network (1XRTT)').

What phone do you have, and does your plan have the feature on it? Do both
allow high-speed 1X/Express/NationalAccess on them?

Also, where are you at? (East/West/North/South) I'm currently in Vegas at a
hotel. It will be hot tomorrow during the day, and if you want to waste some
free weekend minutes, tomorrows a good day to play with it, and me sitting
in a hotel avoiding the heat (wasting time until evening when it is cooler)
is a good time to try it and work it out.

The #777 is the first step for people that want to use high speed (there are
a few more steps), and also good for people that travel like me and don't
want to keep putting in local phone numbers. However, the #777 ALSO works
just fine for QWK2NET!

PS Be real careful about your wording.. The PACKAGE is called Quicklink
Mobile Office, but has two type of connections, Low speed 14.4 QWK2NET and
Express (Now called NationalAccess or 1X) high speed bursting up to 144. I
see above you typed quick link will always be 14.4, that is **wrong**!
QWK2NET will always be 14.4, but the Express/NA/1X portion of quick link can
be 10 times faster (up to 144). May have just been a
typo/speaking/understanding error tho.

peter

Hi! I am sure I am dialing to QW2NET, couse as soon as I installed s/w I
delete Express Network dial-up. I got LG VX 4500 with National Plan. I got
some cheap ISP and wanted to save money, using it instead of the hotel
phone. I travel a lot too, and just got billed $50 in Stratosphere for
phone, didn,t know they charge You after 30 min.
Couple more questions. As I don,t want to use express network, which
connection will be faster: my dial-up, or QW2NET? Also, how can I check real
connection speed on win XP?
Thanks again for all Your help

> Hi! I am sure I am dialing to QW2NET, couse as soon as I installed s/w I
> delete Express Network dial-up. I got LG VX 4500 with National Plan. I got
> some cheap ISP and wanted to save money, using it instead of the hotel
> phone. I travel a lot too, and just got billed $50 in Stratosphere for
> phone, didn,t know they charge You after 30 min.
> Couple more questions. As I don,t want to use express network, which
> connection will be faster: my dial-up, or QW2NET? Also, how can I check
real
> connection speed on win XP?
> Thanks again for all Your help

Regular dial-up is usually way faster than QWK2NET <-- that's only 14.4 kb.

As for the speed tests, here's info stolen from a post by Danny M. Smith.
<Start Paste>
Step One
You should clear your cache, internet temp files, and cookies for best
results.

1. DSL Reports
www.dslreports.com

2. Toast
www.toast.net

3. Cincinnati U
http://www.ececs.uc.edu/~annexste/speed100.html

4. McAfee Speed Test
http://us.mcafee.com/root/genericURL_genericLeftNav.asp?genericURL=/root/speedometer/default.asp&genericLeftNav=/en-us/wrapper/catalog_nav.asp

Step Two
Clean your cache, history files, etc.., turn on Venturi Compression
visit sites in step one. Of course this is not perfect either, but will
give you a better idea of what is going on.
<End Paste>

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to use the express/na/1x network
OPTION (not the plan)? Are you buying into the lies of people that say it
costs?!?!?!?!?!? Guess what, they are wrong. Millions of people use it all
the time, It's free, and uses cell minutes from your plan, and when you use
it at free times (like I am now on unlimited free weekends), the minutes are
free.

Peter wrote:

> Hi! I am sure I am dialing to QW2NET, couse as soon as I installed s/w I
> delete Express Network dial-up. I got LG VX 4500 with National Plan. I got
> some cheap ISP and wanted to save money, using it instead of the hotel
> phone. I travel a lot too, and just got billed $50 in Stratosphere for
> phone, didn,t know they charge You after 30 min.
> Couple more questions. As I don,t want to use express network, which
> connection will be faster: my dial-up, or QW2NET? Also, how can I check real
> connection speed on win XP?
> Thanks again for all Your help

Q2N and your ISP will be the same speed.

Why aren't you using Express Net?

JS

Peter Pan wrote:

> "Peter" <piotr@cwnet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi! I am sure I am dialing to QW2NET, couse as soon as I installed s/w I
>>delete Express Network dial-up. I got LG VX 4500 with National Plan. I got
>>some cheap ISP and wanted to save money, using it instead of the hotel
>>phone. I travel a lot too, and just got billed $50 in Stratosphere for
>>phone, didn,t know they charge You after 30 min.
>>Couple more questions. As I don,t want to use express network, which
>>connection will be faster: my dial-up, or QW2NET? Also, how can I check
>
> real
>
>>connection speed on win XP?
>>Thanks again for all Your help
>>

> Regular dial-up is usually way faster than QWK2NET <-- that's only 14.4 kb.
>
> As for the speed tests, here's info stolen from a post by Danny M. Smith.
> <Start Paste>
> Step One
> You should clear your cache, internet temp files, and cookies for best
> results.
>
> 1. DSL Reports
> www.dslreports.com
>
> 2. Toast
> www.toast.net
>
> 3. Cincinnati U
> http://www.ececs.uc.edu/~annexste/speed100.html
>
> 4. McAfee Speed Test
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/genericURL_genericLeftNav.asp?genericURL=/root/speedometer/default.asp&genericLeftNav=/en-us/wrapper/catalog_nav.asp
>
> Step Two
> Clean your cache, history files, etc.., turn on Venturi Compression
> visit sites in step one. Of course this is not perfect either, but will
> give you a better idea of what is going on.
> <End Paste>
>
> Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to use the express/na/1x network
> OPTION (not the plan)? Are you buying into the lies of people that say it
> costs?!?!?!?!?!? Guess what, they are wrong. Millions of people use it all
> the time, It's free, and uses cell minutes from your plan, and when you use
> it at free times (like I am now on unlimited free weekends), the minutes are
> free.

You thief, thanks for stealing my lines!! Just go with satellite uplink
and then you'd have nothing to worry about around the world and then
some. :)

In all honesty, I know a lot of results depend on equipment such as
phone, computer, location, etc.. also admitting I am not an Einstein
when it comes to understanding modem technologies. So when I say in
most cases my fathers 36.6 ~~ 49.9k generally seems faster then even
Express network. Does any tweaking with Venturi, MTU, etc need to be
done for max efficiency?

Danny

--
E-Mail Address:

[akronchum] [at] [msn [dot] [com]

Remove the []
Change
[at] = @
[dot] = .
(Feel free to add the below to *your* sig. All laws mentioned have been
Verified.)
Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL be
charged a
$100 proof-reading fee. I WILL take legal action. Consider this an
official notice:
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec. 227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to
send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec.
227(b)(3)(C), a violation
of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual
monetary loss,
or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation."
****To reply indicates consent to the above conditions.****

"Danny M. Smith" <whomeknowasd6@ayiyadsa.com> wrote in message

> In all honesty, I know a lot of results depend on equipment such as
> phone, computer, location, etc.. also admitting I am not an Einstein
> when it comes to understanding modem technologies. So when I say in
> most cases my fathers 36.6 ~~ 49.9k generally seems faster then even
> Express network. Does any tweaking with Venturi, MTU, etc need to be
> done for max efficiency?
>
> Danny

Unfortunately it all comes down to use and perception. There is a HUGE
amount of latency between asking for and getting a download. (Like
navigating to a web page and then getting it back in your browser). Same
problem as satellite. Every test says it is faster than heck, but if you
ever have used one, and surfed the web, it is slower than molasses in
january when doing small things (like going from page to page). If you go to
one place and download a large amount of information, then it is a lot
faster since you get the full speed of where you are at.

As for Venturi, that only compresses (and may not even send) pages/objects
you already saw. If you do the surfing thing, and keep seeing different
pages, it won't help anything, and becase of the latency and time to
process, will take longer (pages have to be sent to the venturi server,
processed, and then sent to your phone).
If however, you do the same thing over and over (like are on one system and
see the same menu pages over and over), it sees the same data/compresses
it/or tokenizes it, and doesn't send it again.

My usual on venturi is to leave it on auto (I tend to be on the same
websites over and over) and if I want to surf, turn it off. I figger that's
the best of both worlds.

One other thing of note. If you use secured websites (banks/stock exchanges
etc), it bypasses the venturi.

Almost any tweaking is only good for one or a few certain things, and will
probably do more harm than good for others. Unless you know exactly what
site you are going to, and maximize just for those, you will probably do
more harm than good.

So essentialy, IMO (In My Opinion) the venturi and tweaking are good for a
specific set of sites, but not for general use on a lot of sites while
surfing.

There is one absolute way however to speed it up.... I went to DSL :)

--- Sniped ---

> There is one absolute way however to speed it up.... I went to DSL :)

After I got switched to a pair gain (Half Bandwidth) phone line 26K Max, I
switched to Cable.

However I do use Express Network between 90K & 100K and that is not too bad
as a backup/wireless connection.

QW2NET runs between 10K & 14K and works for access out in the boonies when
Express Network is not available.

"IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote in message
> --- Sniped ---
> >
> > There is one absolute way however to speed it up.... I went to DSL :)
> >

> After I got switched to a pair gain (Half Bandwidth) phone line 26K Max,
> switched to Cable.
>
> However I do use Express Network between 90K & 100K and that is not too
bad
> as a backup/wireless connection.
>
> QW2NET runs between 10K & 14K and works for access out in the boonies when
> Express Network is not available.

That's what I used to think until last summer when I went to Alaska and all
they had in most areas was Analog (and on the way in much of Canada) 31 days
of no internet!. QWK2NET doesn't work in Analog areas, and I think Alaska
qualifies as "the boonies" :) <-- That's a smiley!

Actually, after that fiasco/great trip <--(depends on your point of view) I
got an Ositech king of clubs modem (www.ositech.com/Products/koc.htm) that
lets me use Analog as a backup (Even on the Alaskan Ferry on the way home,
hmmmm I bought it at the ferry terminal.. think they know something?)

Peter Pan wrote:

> Unfortunately it all comes down to use and perception. There is a HUGE
> amount of latency between asking for and getting a download. (Like
> navigating to a web page and then getting it back in your browser).
I agree with your choice words of perception. Everything is relative to
the users experience.

Same
> problem as satellite. Every test says it is faster than heck, but if you
> ever have used one, and surfed the web, it is slower than molasses in
> january when doing small things (like going from page to page). If you go to
> one place and download a large amount of information, then it is a lot
> faster since you get the full speed of where you are at.
It's still better then a Commie64 w/ 300 baud modem.

> So essentialy, IMO (In My Opinion) the venturi and tweaking are good for a
> specific set of sites, but not for general use on a lot of sites while
> surfing.
Agreed, I work more with retail support of computer systems. General
knowledge of a little of everything helps. The more details I know the
more I give and the more the customer gets confused... :)
We have another ID10T error.

> There is one absolute way however to speed it up.... I went to DSL :)
Naw Road Runner Cable way way better then that DSL. More of that
perception.

Dan

--

> > There is one absolute way however to speed it up.... I went to DSL :)
> Naw Road Runner Cable way way better then that DSL. More of that
> perception.
>

> Dan

Have to highly disagree with you on that, I had Road Runner, Cox, Comcast,
Adelphia (all cable, and RR was by far the worst of the bunch), and the DSL
is the best (for me at least, till maybe next month....). Actually I live
and travel in my RV, get different setups when I park somewhere and work for
a few months (I'm a computer consultant), but have been checking into
internet via satellite before my next move.

Hang in there tho, I used to do sales until I got good and people started
paying me to actually make it work once they bought it. Remember the phrase
"Jack of all trades but master of none" :)

> Hi! i though Venturi was only for Express NEtwork-I deleted it, since I
don,
> t want to use Express Network

Nope...

And actually there's an update (version 2.3) usually not in the MO package,
and the upgrade is on the verizon website rather than the venturi website.

Post a link, please? I am looking and it isn't to me found
anywhere on VZW's site.

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message news:2n7ct0FsopldU1@uni-berlin.de...

> "Peter" <piotr@cwnet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi! i though Venturi was only for Express NEtwork-I deleted it, since I
> don,
> > t want to use Express Network
> >

> Nope...
>
> And actually there's an update (version 2.3) usually not in the MO package,
> and the upgrade is on the verizon website rather than the venturi website.

Seems it's no longer at an easy to find place on the verizon verizon site
(seems to display or not depending on your zip code),
but the Tech Support area at the Venturi website has is for Verizon Users
(it's not on the front pages anymore). Link to it in the venturi technical
area Below.

http://www.venturiwireless.com/tech_support/VerizonWireless.html

Note, it's there now ( I just checked to make sure), on Monday at 10:30 PM
PST. Don't know how long it will be there though.

Peter Pan wrote:
> Seems it's no longer at an easy to find place on the verizon verizon site
> (seems to display or not depending on your zip code),
> but the Tech Support area at the Venturi website has is for Verizon Users
> (it's not on the front pages anymore). Link to it in the venturi technical
> area Below.
>
> http://www.venturiwireless.com/tech_support/VerizonWireless.html

Does it work? It seams to me about a year ago I downloaded an updated
venturi client and could never get it to work. I contacted VZW Tech
support and was told it had to many bugs to be released. Although at
the time it was sent by a VZW tech directly to my email.

Danny

--
[...]

*I* think it does. I'm using it right now with my Mobile Office/Cellphone
(and have for the last several years). (I'm using with the 1X/Express/NA
now, free time after 9pm, switching between surfing/same sites/email/NG).
Hate to say it, but it sounds like that vzw person was blowing smoke up your
butt and didn't know what he was talking about. From what you typed, did the
tech actually break the rules and send you a program (that could have had a
virus and opened verizon up to a massive lawsuit?!?!?!?!?), that sounds
extremely unprofessional. Links to programs yes, actual programs? no way.

*******

*******

********

Peter Pan wrote:
> *I* think it does. I'm using it right now with my Mobile Office/Cellphone
> (and have for the last several years). (I'm using with the 1X/Express/NA
> now, free time after 9pm, switching between surfing/same sites/email/NG).
> Hate to say it, but it sounds like that vzw person was blowing smoke up your
> butt and didn't know what he was talking about. From what you typed, did the
> tech actually break the rules and send you a program (that could have had a
> virus and opened verizon up to a massive lawsuit?!?!?!?!?), that sounds
> extremely unprofessional. Links to programs yes, actual programs? no way.

Let me rephrase that, he sent a link to download it. I don't think he
was blowing smoke.. Why, because when I installed it none of the
default settings were entered. No server information, etc, when I
called was when they claimed it was still under testing for bugs.

> "Danny M. Smith" <whomeknowasd6@ayiyadsa.com> wrote in message
>
>>Peter Pan wrote:
>>
>>>Seems it's no longer at an easy to find place on the verizon verizon
>
> site
>
>>>(seems to display or not depending on your zip code),
>>>but the Tech Support area at the Venturi website has is for Verizon
>
> Users
>
>>>(it's not on the front pages anymore). Link to it in the venturi
>
> technical
>
>>>area Below.
>>>
>>>http://www.venturiwireless.com/tech_support/VerizonWireless.html
>>>

>>Does it work? It seams to me about a year ago I downloaded an updated
>>venturi client and could never get it to work. I contacted VZW Tech
>>support and was told it had to many bugs to be released. Although at
>>the time it was sent by a VZW tech directly to my email.
>>
>>Danny
>>

>>>Note, it's there now ( I just checked to make sure), on Monday at 10:30
>
> PM
>
>>>PST. Don't know how long it will be there though.
>>>

>>>"Richard Ness" <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote in message

>>>package,

>>>website.
>>>

>>--

Glad to hear it was just a link. Heres another link I happened to save (I
think I mentioned that I work as a Tech for a Computer Repair and Verizon
Dealer, I keep this link handy for reinstalling the software if I have to
reformat a customers hard disk during repair).... Note it is a 15 MEG
download!

> An easier way is to just install the Verizon EN dialer. It sets up
> everything automatically, and gives you the Q2Net access as well.

http://www.randomite.com/files/VerizonWireless/Verizon_Dialer_And_Venturi.zip

Heres a generic mobile office, if someone already has a cable, gets a
generic cable from futuredial.com, and/or buys a new computer, or if you
have to do a reinstall when repairing, this is it!

PS it's 15+ MB, only do it from Cable or DSL!!

Peter Pan wrote:
> Glad to hear it was just a link. Heres another link I happened to save (I
> think I mentioned that I work as a Tech for a Computer Repair and Verizon
> Dealer, I keep this link handy for reinstalling the software if I have to
> reformat a customers hard disk during repair).... Note it is a 15 MEG
> download!
Nope only that you were in computer repair. I tried to email you, but
it kept coming back. Yeah I tried to remove the nospam etc...
I think we could be getting slightly off topic?
Try [akronchum] [at] [msn [dot] [com] if you wish.

>>An easier way is to just install the Verizon EN dialer. It sets up
>>everything automatically, and gives you the Q2Net access as well.
>>

> http://www.randomite.com/files/VerizonWireless/Verizon_Dialer_And_Venturi.zip
>

> Heres a generic mobile office, if someone already has a cable, gets a
> generic cable from futuredial.com, and/or buys a new computer, or if you
> have to do a reinstall when repairing, this is it!
>
> PS it's 15+ MB, only do it from Cable or DSL!!
I just keep a copy in my Documents folder so I can download it with
laplink anywhere. I am going to check out your app the next time I
install. BTW what's wrong with 15+MB on Dial up? Real men don't need
cable. The slight issue I always run into and its just annoying. When
you plug your phone into a different USB port and have to redetect
everything.

Later,
Dan