Mobo Burnout/ Can 865pe run in single channel

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
Hey all,

After a a A problem involving a live ground and my ATX header melting to the computer, a new mobo was in order.

Now I have been a AMD man, but since I want to try both sides of the fence, I got the Abit-IS7-e, and a P4 2.4c

Now, I have tw questions-

1) Right now, I just have one stick of RAM. I plan to get another soon, but in the mean time can I run in single channel?
2) I know I’l need to reinstall windows. I have 2 partitions, a 5 gig one for windows, and a 70 gig one for all my programs and such. Can I get buy with only wiping C, and keeping my other partition. I know I’l probably need to reistall all my programs, but I have a lot of stuff (PSD’s, back up cd’s and such) that I really don’t want to move over.

Thanks for all the help!

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Yes 865pe will run just fine in single channel mode, jsut not as fast as dual channel

Just wiping the windows partition will work fine, having second(or third, or whatever, just seperate) partition just for your data is suggested way of setting up computer, so youd no't lose everything if you have to format, just that most people are too stupid to understnd that.

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
Thank's for the help!

Another quick question. I have a bunch of doc's, settings, and other small stuff on C. Will windows boot with my new mobo in, so i can move my stuff over before I reinstall?

Or as a diffrent idea, could I repair install XP and get my files moved to the second partiton, then delete my windows partition and start over?

Also, on the ATX cable pinout, what is VCC? (the red cable) Those were the only ones burned. Could it have happend becaue the computer was ungrounded?

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>