Sign in with
Your question

Does this motherboard support ATA 100?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 1, 2004 7:58:59 AM

Hi,

I am thick. When someone told me they had 512 RAM i thought they owned a farm.

Ok, i am interested in buying this motherboard (see below). However i am unsure whether my IBM ATA 100 Hard drive will work with it? Someone at my work (who takes apart computers - although i have never seen him put one back together) said that ATA 100 is basically IDE. So i need a motherboard which supports IDE. Is this true? Secondly, what slot would an ATA 100 be slotted into on a motherboard. Can i put it in the SATA 150 controller which this motherboard has got?

Come on experts, help this newbie out.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-050-AS)
Another excellent solution from the A7N8X series is here. The A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard improves on the popular A7N8X Deluxe by adding Gigabit LAN and the exclusive ASUS Wi-Fi slot for easy wireless LAN setup. Of course, innovative features such as AGPPro/8x, Dolby® digital 6-channel audio, onboard IEEE 1394, Serial ATA, dual-channel DDR 400 and a dual LAN design are still included in this latest board.

- 3 x 184pin DDR-SDRAM ports (Supporting up to PC3200)
- 5 x PCI slots
- 1 x AGP Pro (4x/8x) slot
- Dual Channel DDR400 support
- 2 x UDMA133 (supports upto 4 device)
- Serial ATA150 Controller
- 6 x USB 2.0 ports
- Firewire IEEE 1394 ports
- Onboard dual Marvell Gigabit LAN & Nvidia 10/100 LAN
- Nvidia SoundStorm / Dolby Digital Audio
- Nivida Nforce 2 Chipset
- Asus Wi-Fi Slot
April 1, 2004 9:55:48 AM

Yes that board supports ata 100. Ata 100 is the most common ide, or pata speed. Ide are the wide ribbon cables that go in the 40 pin socket on the mobo.
April 1, 2004 10:42:32 AM

Quote:
Can i put it in the SATA 150 controller which this motherboard has got?

No as such, no, but you <i>can</i> get converters which plug into the back of the drive which allow you to use the SATA150 cable. But for you I don't think there's much point in this.

Quote:
what slot would an ATA 100 be slotted into on a motherboard.

One of these:
Quote:
- 2 x UDMA133 (supports upto 4 device)

preferably the lowest numbered one.

Make sure your HDD is set to MASTER, but it probably already is.

Be aware that if you're taking a HDD out of an existing system and connecting it to a new motherboard you should really re-format it & re-install windows.

What other parts are you buying with this board? just curious.

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
April 1, 2004 1:31:48 PM

Also getting these:

AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3200+ 400FSB (Socket A) CPU - OEM (CP-058-AM)
A new generation of AMD CPUs the AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3200+ features a total 640KB of full-speed cache memory - 128K L1 cache (64K instruction and 64K data) and 512K of L2 cache. Increased cache memory allows more information to be stored closer to the processor, leading to greater performance on software applications such as digital content creation, 3-D gaming, media encoding and office productivity. Featuring QuantiSpeed™ Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications.

Note - The XP3200+ has a default FSB of 200MHz which makes it incompatible with many older motherboards. Newer boards featuring the nForce2 chipset will work fine. You will also require PC3200 (DDR400) compliant memory. If you require further advice or wish to check compatibility then please email our sales department.

Kingston HyperX 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC3200 ( KHX3200K2/1G) CAS2.0 Dual Channel Kit (MY-012-KS)
A technology leader in engineering premium memory solutions, Kingston is proud to offer "HyperX" memory products for gaming enthusiasts. Get faster gaming for better action, and the highest performance that your motherboard or system can support with Kingston HyperX! Kingston's HyperX kits are designed and tested to meet dual channel architecture requirements such as those found on chipsets and motherboards like NVidia's Nforce2, and Intel's Canterwood and Springdale.
!