Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just got this 875Neo-FIS2R & Northwood P4-2.8 assembled and my mind is blown. I go to push the power button and it is already running? CPU fan and Northbridge fan spin a couple of times and stop, spin a couple of times and stop, spin a couple of times and stop! How is this happening without turning on the power button? Plus, the power button has no effect on it. Push it till you're blue in the face and it will not stop. You have to turn off the power supply to have any effect. I checked the CPU mounting and it is aligned and fine. I mounted the board carefully after counting and positioning the stand-offs.
Any suggestions outside of an exorcism? I'm stumped!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
430 watt @power, off brand, but run for a while with this case. Resetting ram and vid card now, reset CMOS, will try after BBall. BBall first, PC's later.

endyen

Splendid
Behind the big push button on the front of the case is a microswitch. If this is jammed in, you would get just the effect you describe. Try taking the power button leads off the mobo and replacing them with a jumper. Then, when you turn the back switch on, pull the jumper off. If this makes the pc start normally, your microswitch is probably toast.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
By golly gosh! You hit the nail on the head. Not getting any clicking when I push it. I did reseat everything and cleared the CMOS, and Viola! She runs now. I've got to admit, the light-show display from the Northbridge cooler is absolutely silly. Why not just put a strobe light in the case or a fish bowl? To each his own I guess. Thanks for the help!