Motherboard for AXP 2500+

Nod

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003
Im going to buy a 'AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton' and would like to know what Motherbord is good for it. I want to try to oc and work whit 3d Animation. By the way, does anyone know if the CPU i have choosen is good for oc? And does anyone know what sort of memory and how much i should buy?

Thank you for the help.

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
msotly the xp=bartons have locked multipliers making overclocking limited to the fsb without hard modding the cpu;but all the mobile xp bartons are unlocked and work in desktops better than the desktop bartons.The abit nf7-s 2.o is the preferred overclocking mobo right now;but if you're just using one hard drive the plain abit nf7 is just as good an overclocker.You want ram with the winbond bh-5 chips;but really any good ram will likely do(mushkin,corsair,ocz or kingston as brands)I've a link to which ram is windbond bh-5 in the cpu section under 2500 vs 2600.don't know how much you need for your use;but always buy more ram than you need,at least 512 mb a gig preferred-at least for gaming.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's great for overclocking. The XP2500+ will usually hit XP3200+ speed simply by increasing the bus speed from 166MHz to 200MHz (333 to 400). Of course you'd want PC3200 or faster RAM. The NF7-S would be a great choice in motherboards.

A lot of guys prefer the Mobile XP2500+, it's the same processor but gives you unlocked multipliers and a little more overclocking potential.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The NF7-S has soundstorm, the NF7 does not. Get the NF7-S. The mobile chips oc by 150 to 350 mhz more than the standard, and have a variable multiplier, and run cooler.

Nod

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003
Thanks for the help everyone.

endyen, what is soundstorm? and you say that NF7-S have a variable multiplier, and run cooler. What is that?

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
hi Crashman,I cann't see a reason for an overclocker to buy a normal barton,at newegg the xp2500+barton is $75 oem and the xp-m 2400 $78 and the xp-m 2500 $92,there are plenty of normal bartons that will not do 200mhz stably,while almost all the mobiles can go above the xp3200 in speed and run cooler too and they can take more heat than the normal ones to start with-both in performance and penny pinching the mobiles are better than the normal bartons,besides the ability to play with the multiplier and fsb gives you a lot of room to adjust the cpu to the one you really want.The locked xp+bartons are not worth the price unless you're just going to run them at stockspeeds.

endyen

Splendid
Soundstorm is dolby onboard sound. Not only is it high quality (about as good as audigy 2) but it uses less of the processor than an add-on audigy card would.
It is not the NF7-S that has variable or "unlocked multiplier", but the xp-m chips. The xp-m chips are the best of the die, quite often rebadged xp3000+ or better chips, that are so stable that they run at a very reduced voltage. The same characteristics that allow them to run at low voltages, also allow them to run faster. They oc very well. I have one that I normally run at 11.5 X 200fsb, or 2.3 gigs. It gets set to 2.4 for gaming in Halo Far cry etc. where more cpu power is most welcome.

Nod

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003
I am going to buy an Athlon MP 2400+ (not Barton) or an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton. i will also buy the NF7 motherboard. But since i have two computers i tought about upgrading the other one too. Than one allready have a Socket A motherboard an ASUS A7V8X. Is that a good motherboard or sshould i upgrade that one too. I dont want to oc on that computer just work whit 3d animation and not to havy games. Will the diffrence be high bettwen the A7V8X and NF7?