Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Gaming at 1920x1080 - Small text problems

Last response: in Video Games
March 24, 2010 5:58:30 AM

I love gaming with my PC and of course I tried gaming at HTPC and totally love gaming with my 40" LCD screen. No way I am going back to my 19".

Playing shooter games or text-minimal games like Modern Warfare2, Bioshock or RTS is very playable considering there's not much reading but more clicking and moving around.

I tried Dragon Age and other text-heavy RPGs. It is quite hard to play at 1080 with those small text. I love to read much of the conversations and stories in these RPGs, so I tend not to miss any of them. Inventory items, quantity and description also tend to be much smaller.

Or easy example is WoW. I can increase font size of chat text. But I guess that's about it.

My initial solution was to change my gaming resolution to 1280x720. Yes the text is indeed much bigger and nicer to read. At around 7-10 feet (or 2.5-3 meters) away from the screen, it is quite playable and not too close to my 40" LCD. At similar distance, the visuals are great but readability are not acceptable.

What I really want is 1080 resolution with bigger text. Asking the impossible?

Any other solutions? I don't think increasing windows DPI font will increase gaming fonts ya?
For my usual browsing or other text-related activities in Windows, I just use a 720p resolution and works great.
March 24, 2010 3:00:06 PM

I think that's all down to your resolution alright. I've the same problem, and changing windows DPI generally doesnt work. It depends on the game though really cos some of mine adjust for the text (so it stays the same) while it does a 1:1 pixel ratio during the game and others just pack more into the screen.
m
l
March 24, 2010 4:30:00 PM

I was wondering if I could stay at 1920x1080 resolution and have other solutions to make text bigger.

Modern Warfare 2 works fantastic at 1920x1080 because the text are generally fairly big at either 720 or 1080. Going to Dragon Age, at 1080 the journals, quests and inventory items are tiny, fairly readable at 6-7 feet. I have to squint to see. At 720 however, they are fine. Except now that everything is "bigger" and jaggies are more visible.

WoW works kind of fine considering the chat text box can be adjusted to bigger fonts. The UI can also be modified to be enlarged.

Anyone else with these issues and have solutions?

Collie147 said:
I think that's all down to your resolution alright. I've the same problem, and changing windows DPI generally doesnt work. It depends on the game though really cos some of mine adjust for the text (so it stays the same) while it does a 1:1 pixel ratio during the game and others just pack more into the screen.

m
l
March 24, 2010 4:38:31 PM

Someone else in a different forum suggested this! I totally forgot about mods. A troublesome way to get things done, but I guess the only available now. I guess that's the advantage of using a PC. I believe X360 users occasionally have problems seeing text on LCD too.

Mod for Dragon Age to increase text size:
http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=73
m
l
!