Are these old RPGs good?

G

I'm wondering about a couple of games and whether they are a good deal for the money and their play value.

One is Vandal Hearts (the original). I know this is a strategy/rpg and I've not played any actual strategy games. I am into a wide range of genres and also like a bit odd games or some that are passed over but have a certain character about them. I'd probably prefer a less intensive strategy game or one that incorporates a bit of exploration and more variety. I know that there are straight strat games that are very hardcore and I do want to play one at some point. Vandal Hearts seems interesting though and I like Konami pretty well. Is it worth getting at 30 bucks?

Also, I'm curious about Breath of Fire 4. I have seen alot of screens, but I can't get any idea of what the dungeons are like in these. I've read that the game has a very plodding story. Does anyone know about this game?

Finally, I was thinking of getting the Sega Genesis collection as it has three Phantasy Star games. I understand many consider these genuine RPG classics. I am one who is tolerant of the old style of play and am just fine with good gameplay and leveling up and exploration. I'm not stuck on graphics and CG showiness. I like good games however old they are.

If anyone has any opinions I'd be obliged.

Breath of Fire went downhill after BoF3; its still got a cult following, but 4 wasn't that good, all things considered.

The Phantasy Star games were good for their time. Eclipsed by newer RPG's, even for that time, but still have that old school feel to them.

Your best bet if you are looking for older school RPG's [should you have a DS] would be the Dragon Quest remakes [IV, V, and VI], and IX [which comes out June 1].

G

Thanks for the reply- I'll take what you said into consideration. :)

I saw Dragon Age Origins and a couple expansion packs available on PSN - not interested since I have DAO on the PC, but IMO it's a pretty good RPG albeit a lot of conversation scenes - you hafta be pretty careful what you say to your companions since they could take offense and wind up dumping your arse right before you gotta take on a boss or two :p.

In particular, don't try jumping into the sack with one female companion and then another one right afterwards - they tend to not like that much, sorta like real life :D.

If you liked Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, you'd probably like DAO.