PC probably too old to handle Modern warfare 2?

sander17

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Hello people!
I got Modern warfare 2 yesterday for the PC. after some single player gaming (which went very smooth and nice) I started up the multi player. it was horrible
I had to change the resolution bak to 1100 something x 900 something cause it just couldn't handle the 1280. but my PC couldn't handle the downgraded resolution either!!
Everything was on not detailed, and I had lots of shocks and stutters while moving or shooting. how can this be while single player runs detailed and smooth? My limited pc knowledge tells me it must be the MEMORY!

I have a core 2 duo processor. i have fysical memory of 2048mb and my graphics card is a nVidia Geforce 7600GT.

Is it purely the performance of my compter that is lacking? If so, what parts should I replace? if its the gfx card I already took a look at this one: http://norrod.nl/ws_a_index.asp?A_id=43023

will it be enough to run multiplayer smoothly? Or is there a generally other solution to this problem?

I will thank you in advance for your help, i'm european so I hope my 'great' english is still understandable!

greetings, Sander.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
You need more RAM, a much better graphics card, and a power supply that's above 500W, and 2/3 of your HDD memory must be conserved for optimal performance. Make sure VSYNC is turned off in your applications graphic options. Please note for 32-Bit operating systems a maximum of 3.75GB is permitted, and at 64-bit I believe it is much higher (I'm sure you won't cap out memory on 64-bit). Hope this helps.

sander17

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006

what RAM would you recoommend for me? and what's wrong with the vid card i put in the thread?
I'm not at home right now so I don't know what my power cable is, but I think it's enough (will check soon)

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hi Sander,

Since you already have 2GB of RAM, I would just double what you currently have. Before you do, can you list what type of RAM you are using? Additionally, I recommend going ATI for MW2. I've heard great feedback with their cards for MW2. You may want to look into the ATI HD 4000 series, perhaps the 4850. Cards in the 5000 series are a bit expensive if you're looking to save.