Sign in with
Your question

GTA IV FPS Problems with i7 920 @ 3.82 Ghz

Last response: in Video Games
March 24, 2010 11:13:13 PM

Hi guys, i asked the last week if i could play GTA IV online with a cracked version, few people flamed me and said "No", so i just bought the Original GTA IV from www.mercadolibre.com.mx (Mexican eBay) i just got it today and i saw in few vids that people can run it smooth with a good CPU and crappy GPU.
Im
March 24, 2010 11:40:53 PM

Sorry for posting twice, read the message below
March 24, 2010 11:55:58 PM

(Sorry it kept giving me Error 503 Service Unavailable)

Hi guys, i asked the last week if i could play GTA IV online with a cracked version, few people flamed me and said "No", so i just bought the Original GTA IV from www.mercadolibre.com.mx (Mexican eBay) i just got it today and i saw in few vids that people can run it smooth with a good CPU and crappy GPU.
Im having problems cuz it lags alot, my PC specs :

i7 920 @ 3.82 Ghz
4 GB Ram @ 1322 Mhz or something
NVIDIA GeForce9400GT

I saw in few forums that if i make a .txt file named "commandline.txt" with this

-novblank
-norestrictions
-nomemrestrict
-novsync
-fullspecaudio
-frameLimit 0

It'll work faster but i dont wanna mess up or get banned from Rockstar social club / Windows Live for changing stuff in my installation folder.
Anyone knows if this actually work? ^
I also heard theres patches but i dont know what to do ... im really mad cuz i had to wait a week to get it and then when i got it, it isnt working right
Even with medium settings and screen

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e64old.jpg

when i have fraps open it says 15 FPS in yellow (of course not recording) i think thats too slow o well, any way to boost?
Related resources
March 25, 2010 12:09:34 AM

No, you definitely cant run it with a crappy gpu, this game is such a crappy port of the console version that it eats up every megabyte of ram and every ghz of your cpu. Your cpu is great, but i really think you need a much better graphics card. also, just give it a try and see if it works.
March 25, 2010 12:33:13 AM

Do you think i'll be able to run GTA 4 with max graphics with a HD5750 1gb Gddr5 (1024MB GDDR5 4600Mhz 128bits)
And what r those "patches" for GTA? do they boost the FPS?
March 25, 2010 1:10:30 AM

Yeah you have a big GPU bottleneck (the 9400 is w@#k compared to a 5870 for example).

GTA4 runs on my system with pretty high settings (hi res textures, best lighting etc) very smoothly @ 1920x1080, and I have a much worse processor than you and a Radeon 5850.

A 5750 is about 10 times faster than a 9400, but about half of the speed of a 5850. I certainly think you will notice a HUUUUGE jump in performance if you get a 5750. For similar money you could get a 4890 which would give you more FPS than a 5750 but no DirectX11 for other games which support that........
March 25, 2010 1:41:18 AM

i would shell out the extra cash for a 58xx just to help get ya future proofed a bit :)  your cpu wont be old anytime soon.
March 25, 2010 9:30:57 AM

JDV28 said:
No, you definitely cant run it with a crappy gpu, this game is such a crappy port of the console version that it eats up every megabyte of ram and every ghz of your cpu. Your cpu is great, but i really think you need a much better graphics card. also, just give it a try and see if it works.

GTA IV is not a 'crappy console port' Rockstar spent ages coding the game for the PC and it looks fantastic and as a result you need high end hardware in order to get the best out of it. If you played the game at console settings i.e. low to medium with 1/3 draw distance and reduced traffic then you don't need a beefy PC to play it smoothly.

People complain game developers don't spend enough time coding games that make the most out of their hardware then Rockstar comes along with GTA IV for the PC which makes full use of quad core CPU's, video card ram, system ram and GPU processing and you start complaining that it's a crappy port.
March 25, 2010 10:45:32 AM

iPunket said:
Do you think i'll be able to run GTA 4 with max graphics with a HD5750 1gb Gddr5 (1024MB GDDR5 4600Mhz 128bits)
And what r those "patches" for GTA? do they boost the FPS?

I get over 45 fps on my 5750 running at 1280x1024 with everything set to the max except the distance view, which I have set to 51. Mind you, my 5750 is overclocked, but they are very easy to over clock to the point where they can almost match a 5770 at stock speeds.

However, this proves the CPU requirement on this game. I upgraded my video card from a HD3870 to a HD 5750 and my frame rates didn't really improve much at all in this game. However, all my other games so at least a 10 fps increase. That just goes to show how much GTA IV depends on the CPU.

March 25, 2010 11:52:08 AM

JeanLuc said:
GTA IV is not a 'crappy console port' Rockstar spent ages coding the game for the PC and it looks fantastic and as a result you need high end hardware in order to get the best out of it. If you played the game at console settings i.e. low to medium with 1/3 draw distance and reduced traffic then you don't need a beefy PC to play it smoothly.

People complain game developers don't spend enough time coding games that make the most out of their hardware then Rockstar comes along with GTA IV for the PC which makes full use of quad core CPU's, video card ram, system ram and GPU processing and you start complaining that it's a crappy port.

Uh, it IS a crappy port. The graphics are NOT that great, even at the highest details. I have other games that look SO much better and DON'T require a quad CPU. So it's NOT using the full potential of your hardware. I mean, I went from an HD 3870 to an HD 5750 and my FPS didn't increase or decrease. It stayed the same, which show's it tied more to your CPU than your GPU.

For a game that requires quad core CPUs, it sure doesn't look great. I know the GTA series never had the greatest graphics, but to take a port from a console that has LOWER hardware specs than the quad core CPUS (do you really think there is a quad core CPU in the XB360 and PS3?) and a video card that is LESS than my HD 3870 was, and yet it STILL requires higher hardware requirements than what a console has yet still doesn't look any better than the console port is a sure sign of very poor programming.

Games such as RE5 worked flawlessly on my AMD64 X2 4200+ and HD 3870 with 40+fps and they look better than GTA IV. On my current system, I don't see any difference in the graphics for GTA IV. The only thing is my fps went from below 20 to over 45.

GTA IV was a crappy port period. That's not to say it's a crappy game, but the porting was terrible.
March 25, 2010 11:57:00 AM

iPunket said:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-45119942-t-vide...

So this video card is fine for GTA 4?

I'm running with it. However, it didn't increase my FPS from my HD 3870 which just goes to show how much this game is tied to your CPU. However, the 5750 is still a great bargain if you don't want the 5770 and can't find it for a price within your range. The 5750 has increased performance in a lot of my other games that aren't tied to your CPU.

I know with the 3870, I couldn't even run the Dirt2 Demo. With the 5750, I'm getting around 60 fps with the Dirt 2 Demo running at 1280x1024 with full details using DirectX 11.

Same with S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat running with DirectX 11. It runs great with max details at 1280x1024 for me.

BTW, 1280x1024 is the max I can go with my monitor (17" Acer), so that's the other reason I went with the 5750 instead of a 5770 or 58xxx. I don't need to run any higher and I won't be upgrading my monitor any time soon.

March 25, 2010 12:32:25 PM

Ya i guess im going for a 5770, the 5750 cost 183$ USD and 5770 cost 211$ USD
I really hope i can play GTA IV with a HD5770 at 1440x900 with max graphics

Edit: Last question, is this HD5770 fine or i need one with better fan http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-43408434-t-vide...

Can i overclock this HD5770? It'll get too hot if i play GTA IV 12 hrs?
March 25, 2010 12:52:30 PM

iPunket said:
Ya i guess im going for a 5770, the 5750 cost 183$ USD and 5770 cost 211$ USD
I really hope i can play GTA IV with a HD5770 at 1440x900 with max graphics

Edit: Last question, is this HD5770 fine or i need one with better fan http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-43408434-t-vide...

Can i overclock this HD5770? It'll get too hot if i play GTA IV 12 hrs?

Whoa! $211 is too much for a 5770! So is $183 for the 5750. I got my 5750 from Tigerdirect (and XFX model) for $139 which was the best price I could fine online or retail. Not sure where you're getting yours from, but that is TOO much. You can get a 5770 for less than $183 online.

As for overclocking, you might not need to with the 5770 but you can. For me, the 5750 was enough plus I could overclock it to where it runs just about neck and neck with a 5770 running at stock speeds.

March 25, 2010 1:24:58 PM

isamuelson said:
Uh, it IS a crappy port. The graphics are NOT that great, even at the highest details. I have other games that look SO much better and DON'T require a quad CPU. So it's NOT using the full potential of your hardware. I mean, I went from an HD 3870 to an HD 5750 and my FPS didn't increase or decrease. It stayed the same, which show's it tied more to your CPU than your GPU.

For a game that requires quad core CPUs, it sure doesn't look great. I know the GTA series never had the greatest graphics, but to take a port from a console that has LOWER hardware specs than the quad core CPUS (do you really think there is a quad core CPU in the XB360 and PS3?) and a video card that is LESS than my HD 3870 was, and yet it STILL requires higher hardware requirements than what a console has yet still doesn't look any better than the console port is a sure sign of very poor programming.

Games such as RE5 worked flawlessly on my AMD64 X2 4200+ and HD 3870 with 40+fps and they look better than GTA IV. On my current system, I don't see any difference in the graphics for GTA IV. The only thing is my fps went from below 20 to over 45.

GTA IV was a crappy port period. That's not to say it's a crappy game, but the porting was terrible.

Ok so you went from a HD3870 to a HD5750 and your play at 1280x1024 and your wondering why your frame rate didn't increase? :sarcastic: 

GTA IV is heavy on two things, AI and visual distance. AI is handled by your CPU and due to the amount of NPC's and cars you get in the game your CPU is always under pressure hence why GTA IV was optimised to take advantage of quad core CPU's. On the consoles you get nothing like the number NPC's and traffic/cars that you find on the PC version and also the draw distance on the consoles is less as they don't have a large amount of video ram to draw that much terrain. Granted the game is more CPU heavy then video card heavy but as I explained above there are reasons for that.

Also your getting 45 fps at max settings (bar draw distance which you have twice that of a console) which is no slouch for a sandbox game like GTA IV.
March 25, 2010 5:34:53 PM

I Cant find any good website selling cheap HD5750 / HD5770 that deliver to mexico ... x.x Can anyone suggest me one?
March 25, 2010 7:18:50 PM

JeanLuc said:

Yea, its like common knowledge to PC gamers how horrible of a port GTA IV is for pc. I feel like they put 4 guys in a basement and said "you have 4 hours, then its going on the shelves."
March 25, 2010 10:29:44 PM

iPunket said:
I Cant find any good website selling cheap HD5750 / HD5770 that deliver to mexico ... x.x Can anyone suggest me one?

I dont know about getting a cheap one delivered to Mexico, but the prices you quoted dont seem too inflated. In the UK they cost about £130 (for a 5770) and the exchange rate is almost exactly £1:$1.50, so by my rekoning a 5770 should cost $195 USD. As I type.......

The benchmarks dont seem too far off either!!

I have no doubt in my mind you will be able to play GTA4 at maxed out settings at good FPS with a 5770. You have an excellent processor with a good overclock, enough RAM to choke a donkey. I run it on very good settings, my specs are in my profile. The thing about GTA4 is that when you put the draw distance to 100%, for 99% for the time you are playing this would look the same as 20% or 30% distance, so you can easily just lower the distance to 90% or 80% if you want more FPS.

The current patch for GTA4 is 1.004 (might be more zero's but its the fourth patch anyway!) and it adds more graphics options to the version they released, fixes memory leak bug and gives more FPS.

Just do it! It will work! Also if you decide you need more power one day you should be able to Crossfire another 5770 because your socket 1366 motherboard likely has more than one PCI Express slot, I think they all have atleast two!
March 26, 2010 4:03:10 AM

641109,19,527886 said:
I dont know about getting a cheap one delivered to Mexico, but the prices you quoted dont seem too inflated. In the UK they cost about £130 (for a 5770) and the exchange rate is almost exactly £1:$1.50, so by my rekoning a 577
March 26, 2010 4:03:23 AM

641109,19,527886 said:
I dont know about getting a cheap one delivered to Mexico, but the prices you quoted dont seem too inflated. In the UK they cost about £130 (for a 5770) and the exchange rate is almost exactly £1:$1.50, so by my rekoning a 577
March 26, 2010 4:04:04 AM

641109,19,527886 said:
March 26, 2010 4:23:32 AM

641109,19,527886 said:
I dont know about getting a cheap one delivered to Mexico, but the prices you quoted dont seem too inflated. In the UK they cost about £130 (for a 5770) and the exchange rate is almost exactly £1:$1.50, so by my rekoning a 57
March 26, 2010 7:40:55 AM

kk thanks for all your help man i guess im buying a HD5750 since the cheapest store selling graphic cards in my town sells HD5750 for 176 USD and they dont have HD5770 yet =/
is this GTX 260 better than a HD5750/5770? http://notas.intcomex.com.mx/prodcentel/code/producto.p...

Well thanks everyone for all the support i always come to this forum whenever i need help, i hope i can help here
March 26, 2010 2:37:25 PM

iPunket said:
kk thanks for all your help man i guess im buying a HD5750 since the cheapest store selling graphic cards in my town sells HD5750 for 176 USD and they dont have HD5770 yet =/
is this GTX 260 better than a HD5750/5770? http://notas.intcomex.com.mx/prodcentel/code/producto.p...

Well thanks everyone for all the support i always come to this forum whenever i need help, i hope i can help here

In some cases, yes, but with the HD5750, you get DirectX 11 support. None of the nVidia cards have DirectX 11 support yet. So, you have to decide which is more important.

In the case of GTA IV, the 5750 didn't beat the GTX 260:

Go to this article to read more on the 5750/5770s -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446...

I myself went with the 5750 and I haven't been disappointed with it at all.
March 26, 2010 4:45:10 PM

I guess im buying a HD5750 and buying another HD5750 later :p 

Thanks dude
March 26, 2010 7:40:16 PM

isamuelson, those benchmarks are w/o AA, I dont know about you guys, but I never play a game without AA on. There would be some major differences in those benchmarks if it was enabled. A great visual tool to compare those for this game tho :) 
March 29, 2010 8:57:58 AM

JDV28 said:
isamuelson, those benchmarks are w/o AA, I dont know about you guys, but I never play a game without AA on. There would be some major differences in those benchmarks if it was enabled. A great visual tool to compare those for this game tho :) 

Lol well you wouldnt like GTA4 then because there is no AA in the game, and you can't force it using the drivers either. HA!
March 29, 2010 4:54:36 PM

JeanLuc said:

If they spent ages coding the game for PC, then why didn't they implement things like AntiAliasing and Anisotrophic controls? These settings are what makes PC-games PWN Console-versions.

It is so a crappy port - I play it on the system in my sig, and it runs fine @ 1920*1080 everything on "Very High" Shadow distance on 5 and draw distance on 55 - But it is not beautiful.
March 29, 2010 5:11:22 PM

chriscornell said:
If they spent ages coding the game for PC, then why didn't they implement things like AntiAliasing and Anisotrophic controls? These settings are what makes PC-games PWN Console-versions.

It is so a crappy port.

Well I disagree with you there. You see the problem is that GTA4 has what is probably the most detailed and vast sandbox environment ever made (its not as vast as say Just Cause 2 but it makes up for that with detail levels). Now Anti-Aliasing basically smoothes any harsh edges from objects which are visible but partly behind other objects in view. In a game like GTA4 with such huge draw distances, to do this using the traditional method would require a huge amount of processing power from the GPU. So Rockstar Games built their own software pseudo-Anti-Aliasing into their engine. When they released the second patch they added an option "definition" to the graphics menu. All this really does is turn the software AA off.

The console versions of the game have lower resolution textures (medium on the PC version) and have lower draw-distances.

Compare it to Crysis - a game which only in the last year or so has been matched in it's beauty by modern hardware's power.
All of that foliage takes a lot of power to Anti-Alias. Now look at STALKER CS or CoP. They also suffer from a huge performance hit when you enable these settings from the menu - even worse than Crysis (a PC only title I might add).

And Metro 2033!?!?! Jesus - you need a rediculously powerful PC to max that game out.

GTA4's software Anti-Aliasing is fast but doesnt look as good as "real" anti aliasing. But if you dont mind needing 5870 crossfire or SLI GTX 480's to run it at a reasonable speed then maybe they should have put the feature in.

I just think that this sort of ignorant mud slinging is perhaps a little mis-informed.
March 29, 2010 9:15:30 PM

Whoever told the OP that you can run GTA4 with a good CPU and a crappy GPU must be nuts.

GTA4 is both CPU and GPU demanding. Yes you will be able to play the game but once all hell breaks loose and you start blowin things up your PC will bog down regardless. I have the game and have played at 1680x 1050 with a quad at 3.8Ghz paired with a GTX 260 and the game is pure lag even at low settings w/o AA. GTA4 was meant to be played on a console, not a PC.
!