Sign in with
Your question

SATA RAID 0+1 on Abit IC7 Max3

Last response: in Motherboards
April 6, 2004 12:23:22 AM

A friend of mine just got Abit IC7 Max3 and he wanted to do SATA Raid 0+1 with (4) Maxtor 6y120 120GB SATA HDs. Last night, we installed everything correctly to each SATA port ie first HD goes to SATA1 etc. yet the BIOS only read 2 primary drives. I think lack of instructions in the book (or my knowledge thereof) confuses me when the other two becomes logical drives. What is logical drives and why the MoBo would not read them and accept them as HDs when I tried to set up RAID 0+1 (Raid10)? What in my installation procedure that was missed and/or skipped? Can somebody help me out?
April 6, 2004 11:22:50 AM

You can only use RAID 0+1 via the silicon image controller, so you have to make sure all the drives are attached via the silicon image controller and not through the ICH5R. Make sure that the silicon image controller is enabled (either through BIOS or using a Jumper).

P.S. RAID 0+1 and RAID 10 are different, your board only support RAID 0+1.

P4 2.6@3.38
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Ge-Force4 Ti4200
April 8, 2004 7:38:53 AM

the actual setup actually calls for Raid 10 instead of 0+1. But I get the idea. It was actually one of the other option I was gonna do. Thanks
April 17, 2004 11:13:02 PM

You can only use RAID 0+1 via the silicon image controller, so you have to make sure all the drives are attached via the silicon image controller and not through the ICH5R. Make sure that the silicon image controller is enabled (either through BIOS or using a Jumper).

I followed your instructions up there and I have a new problem: Win XP Pro won't recognize any harddrive. THe motherboard detected that there are four hard drive. Also, there are not enough instructions in the manual on what to do after you setup the raid on the raid setup. Is it really necessary to do the low level format on the raid window? We tried using Partition Magic 7 and the raid setup nor Win XP recognise that the drive had been formatted. When I was using ICH5R, I have problem what so ever as far as formatting and loading win XP Pro.

I forgot to mention on my first post that this is my FIRST SATA drives and first SATARAID setup.

Thanks,

Armand Utan
!