Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I am wondering why I am getting such low fps in Bad Company 2, i am running
windows 7 64 bit
gtx 260 216 OC 700core 1150 mem
q9550 3.4ghz
4gb ddr2 800 ram
latest drivers

I am getting around 30-50 fps on medium settings at 1680x1050 in multiplayer, I talked to someone else who had a worse setup than i do and yet he is getting 80+ fps? I have even tried on low settings and i get around 50-60, but in battle i still drop below 40 fps. It sometimes is a bit jumpy too.
What could be my problem? If this this doesn't seem to be the norm what can i do?

I just ran IntelBurntest and my results are very very low? My speed was 44 gflops before and now for some odd reason im at 16-17 gflops? Im also for some reason getting a bit lower in benchmarks like 3dmark vantage and some source benchmarks? What gives?

Solution
It seems that the Nvidia cards, or drivers, are giving quite a few people issues. I have 2 buddies with the same problems. One of them has a GTX 285 and it studders for him. He switched to DX9 and it helped alot. There maybe a driver or game patch that will fix this in the future. Hopefully. ATI cards don't seem to have the issue.

You can try setting this to DX9 as mentioned above to see if that helps:

go to Documents
BFBC2 Folder
find settings,click it
find “dxversion=”
change it to dxversion=9

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Hard to say without a closer look. It could be that you are running DirectX 10 vs his DirectX9 as there is apparently a fair performance hit. Other options that have a large fps hit but not a huge visual impact are the ambient occlusion settings, try putting that to off.

There is a useful tool that gives a graphical way to edit the settings file which gives far more detailed access than the in game options. This *may* be the link but I can't check it on this network..
http://www.hitechelectronicsgadgets.com/3073/battlefield-bad-company-2-configurator-1-1-download/
.. or do a google for "liseda bad company 2 configurator" (other search engines are available)

Try setting DirectX to 9 and turning off the bloom and ambient occlusion and see how you go.

You should be getting slightly better I would say. You have about the same fps as me and I run a slightly lower spec and 1920x1080.

It seems that the Nvidia cards, or drivers, are giving quite a few people issues. I have 2 buddies with the same problems. One of them has a GTX 285 and it studders for him. He switched to DX9 and it helped alot. There maybe a driver or game patch that will fix this in the future. Hopefully. ATI cards don't seem to have the issue.

You can try setting this to DX9 as mentioned above to see if that helps:

go to Documents
BFBC2 Folder
find settings,click it
find “dxversion=”
change it to dxversion=9

Solution
Here is an article that is a good read for BC2 performance. You may very well be where you are supposed to be. Still, I'm sure Nvidia can improve their drivers for the game.

http://www.techspot.com/article/255-battlefield-bad-company2-performance/

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
The difference between medium and high is like +5FPS, so medium is still pretty taxing on a GPU. You can also get in your system.ini file and put your renderahead setting to 0. Some people report a stabilization with that value. You can also turn water quality down in the same file which should help a little.

Here are benchmarks. 260s don't get fantasticle FPS to start with. Keep in mind these guys had an i7 920 CPU clocked at 3.7Ghz so this is probably a bit better than what you will get.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/104990-13-battlefield-company-benchmarks-here

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

While this is very true, i just wanted to say that the loading times are INCREDIBLY faster with an nvidia card in this game