hlp Abit IT7 AC97 audio disappeared

exe

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
I put my puter to hibernate, and while in that state, I had a power outage. I know that would not cause any problems as hibernate doesn't consumer any power, but my bios reset itself (the button battery is dead) and I had some problems when the puter booted back to de-hibernate mode, so I did a reboot.

One of the problems I noticed was that my audio was dead. But upon a full shutdown/bootup, my audio was still non existant. I have tried to clear and reset the bios settings (using jumpers), put in a new button battery, tried Windows XP system restore, all to no avail. Under Hardware profile, my onboard AC97 is not listed, no controls under volume adjustment, and no '!' or cross marks under volume controls listing. In my bios, I see AC97 listed with the option 'auto or disable' so I left it at auto. The only thing I can hear from my hooked up speakers (to the AC97 line out jack) is the error beeps (if and when they should occur) under Windows (I'm sure it's not coming from the desktop itself cause I set the speakers real loud). I cannot get WinAmp nor Media Player 9 to play, both indicate I have errors. I have no start up error beeps or errors.

Is my onboard AC97 dead? And if it is dead, I guess I need a PCI audio card? Is there a USB audio output jack available for cheap? Thanks for any insights.

Abit IT7Max, P4 1.6, WinXP Pro.

I would remove any conflicts in the device manager (if you find any yellow or red exclamation marks next to the devices), and try reinstalling the audio drivers and anything else windows fails to detect. I've had a similar problem when overclocking with flaky motherboards that revert back to the default settings without warning.

pat

Expert
in hardware profile, even if there is no yellow exclamation mark, try to reinstall the drivers (update drivers and let it search for already installed drivers).

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

exe

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Guys, thanks for the help but:

I do not have any conflicts under Device Manager.
The only option under BIOS is 'AC97: Disable or Auto', I left it at Auto.
I have already reinstalled AC97 Audio driver.

Non of that has worked. I'm just guessing that my AC97 must be working, otherwise why would I still hear the system beep through it, am I right? If that is true, why doesn't Windows XP Pro pick it up?