sisooktom

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2004
I'm finally looking to build a new PC and relegate my old one to Linux duty. I do a fair amount of gaming but not a ton. I'm looking to build a system that can last me a while without upgrading much. This will be the first system I've built. I've been an enthusiast for years, and I work as a programmer so I'm plenty literate, I just lack experience in choosing components. Stability is my TOP priority. I most likely will NOT overclock, but I like the idea of a setup that's robust enough to handle that if I wanted to, kind of like insurance. Basically I want a system that can handle HL2, Doom 3, WoW, etc but not at the highest framerates or anything. What I was thinking of was something like the following:

CPU: A64 3000+
Motherboard: Need advice here, see below
RAM: 512MB or 1 GB, probably Muskin Level One or Corsair XMS
Video Card: ATI AIW9600XT
HD: Segate Barracuda SATA 120GB
Case: Antec Sonata? See below

My big question is about the mobo. This is a system I want to build by mid May or so. I was pretty sure I wanted to wait on NF3 250, but I can't wait forever. So I'd have to buy a first rev board, which I'm not sure about. Also, I got to thinking that although the 250 looks really cool, I'm most likely not going to use RAID, and I don't NEED the Firewall or GbE. So, I'm starting to wonder if I'd be best served by just buying a current VIA board and being done with it. Either way, what manufacturers are the best? I've heard praises and horror stories about them all. The other question I had was about the PS in the Sonata case. I keep hearing how important the PS is in an AMD system and I've wondered if the 380W supply in the Sonata is going to be enough. With so many people stressing that 400 and 500W+ supplies are a must, it's got me wondering. Anyway, any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The chipset is out, boards are being manufactured as I speak. I don't know when they'll hit the shelvs, I can only guess.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
even if nforce 3 250 is new, it is more like a revision of the 150, so board that will come out with it should be ok, even if it is first revision.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!