Sign in with
Your question

does an upgrade always have to cost a bunch..?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 10, 2004 10:19:25 AM

Hi...
When I bought my computer about 2 years ago, I probobly read every thread in here.. looking for advice on what to buy. Now, 2 years later I have come to the conclusion that an upgrade is very well needed. Especially when playing games, all the games lagg. After looking around for a while, I realize that I have to buy so much stuff. I though I had bought good stuff that would last me at least one upgrade... but I think that it was wishful thinking.
This is what I have as of now:

AMD XP1700
512Mb RAM
240Gb 7200
SOYO SY K7V DRAGON PLUS!
Radeon 8500

...so I realize that if I want to get a system with a faster CPU and a better graphics card I would have to buy a new mobo, a new RAM and a new CPU-cooler too.

For example, if I want to buy nice price/performance stuff, like a AMD XP 2600 and a RADEON 9800 PRO I would have to buy a new MOBO, new RAM, new fancooler wich adds another 200 - 300 bucks (here in Sweden) to the buy.

Is it really worth it thinking of the upgrade possibilities... Ill probobly have to upgrade everything the next time anyway... =/

More about : upgrade cost bunch

a c 435 V Motherboard
April 10, 2004 10:36:49 AM

If you run any games that use directx 9.0, I would start with a video card upgrade, even if your current board doesn't have 8x agp. Otherwise, I would wait for more benchmarks with the new nforce3 250 boards, and decide if it's worth the money. You don't have to have agp 8x support to use the 9800 pro, but a power supply upgrade may be needed for stability. I still have a radeon 8500LE in one of my systems, as the game I play doesn't use directx 9.
April 10, 2004 12:46:55 PM

Thanks o1die for the quick reply. Ive been looking around for that nforce 250 mobo, and its getting pretty good reviews. But it seems like its a mobo for the 64 bit processor, which I guess is a waste of money concidering that almost no software supports this yet. But I read somewhere that windows will come in a version that utilizes the 64bit technology later on this year.

so once again.. Im torn into pieces. If I buy the Radeon 9800, and wait with the mobo,ram and processor... as you said, I wont be able use 8x AGP. And by the time I get the other stuff... there will probobly be another better product out there for a good price.

why does buying a computer have to be sooo darn complicated =) ??
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
April 10, 2004 1:00:38 PM

I used to upgrade at least twice a year, when I could sell my old parts or systems in the paper. But recently, since Dell and Fry's are in my area, I've found it harder and harder to get a decent price, so I don't upgrade anymore. I've also been disappointed in the performance gain for the $$ spent. So don't feel that you have to upgrade just to keep up.
April 10, 2004 5:59:32 PM

find out the highest cpu your board can take and get that, then get a new video card. that should hold you for a while more.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
April 10, 2004 6:06:38 PM

Dont see 64 bits CPU as 64bits CPU. They are rather, highly efficient 32bits CPU with 64 bits instruction set extension. Having a cpu that run almost 1GHz less than the equivalent P4 and overperforming it in almost every benchmark, producing less heat, needing less power is a big plus. Modern HDD, video card, ..., can get very hot and raise the total heat inside the case, which call for more fan for airflow and then you'll have more noise.

I had the same as you have right now before I upgraded to my current computer. Maybe I should have wait for A64 but I'm perfectly happy with my nforce2/M-2500+ @2.4 GHz ...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
!