Red alert 2 Virtual Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

drums101

Distinguished
Ok so I had an urge to play an old game from my childhood. Red alert 2.....I installed it on windows 7 and it works just it has really bad slow downs when there are explosions and stuff on the screen. Through a lil reading up I figured out that cuz its such an old game it doesnt like newer 3d video cards. So my solution to that was to try and set up a virtual xp machine on my computer. I did that and went to install red alert 2 on it and virtual xp doesnt support directx. So no dice....Does any one know how to get this to work on a virtual machine or how to make it so it doesnt slow down in windows 7? any help would be appreciated i cant stand 5fps when stuff goes down. thanks

Solution
XP Mode is just a VM that runs on top of the MS Virtual PC hypervisor (software that manages the VM and virtualises the hardware). VirtualBox and VMware are both hypervisors as well, but aren't integrated into the OS as much as Virtual PC is. VirtualBox is a better option than VMware IMO if you need to create a VM from scratch rather than use a pre-existing one. You can get it here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

The creation of a VM is pretty straight forward (set up disk space, RAM, number of CPU cores etc) but you'll need to have an XP DVD or ISO to install it.

randomizer

Champion
Did you use VirtualPC for running the VM? I don't know what kind of 2D acceleration it has or what level of DX support it has. VMware certainly supports up to DX9 (not enough performance for newer 3D games but plenty for 2D), and I believe VirtualBox does as well.

randomizer

Champion
XP Mode is just a VM that runs on top of the MS Virtual PC hypervisor (software that manages the VM and virtualises the hardware). VirtualBox and VMware are both hypervisors as well, but aren't integrated into the OS as much as Virtual PC is. VirtualBox is a better option than VMware IMO if you need to create a VM from scratch rather than use a pre-existing one. You can get it here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

The creation of a VM is pretty straight forward (set up disk space, RAM, number of CPU cores etc) but you'll need to have an XP DVD or ISO to install it.

Solution

System specs? You could play Red Alert 2 on a Pentium 4 with no slowdowns, so I'm very surprised that you get frame rates that low. Did you try running it with XP compatibility settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.