str8pimpin

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
I had a question regarding the 848P chipset versus the 865PE chipset from Intel.

I currently have the 848P chipset (ICH5R Southbridge) and a 3.0E P4 (Prescott). I was planning on swapping my motherboard to an 865PE and swapping the Prescott with a 3.0 Northwood, as it seems overall to be a better chip clock-for-clock.

I read this article from this website, and now I am confused.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20031103/848p-06.html

...obviously, at the end of the benchmarks, the dual-channel boards smoke the memory bandwidth tests over the single-channel 848P.

But when you look at some of the "reality" benchmarks, the differences in game framerates and rendering times seems almost the same. In fact, in some benchmarks, the 848P is +1 FPS over the 865PE, and in the worst case is only -5 FPS. In applications benchmarks, again, the difference is only 1-2 at most, and again the 848P even beats the 865 and 875 in a couple.

So how do I interpret these results? I don't want to buy a more expensive motherboard if I can only perceive a benefit on benchmarks.

Also, with my Prescott, temps do not seems to be an issue. I am more interested in performance. Is it worth a chip swap to Northwood? Again, on benchmarks it is confusing...Prescott wins some, Northwood wins some, but it's never a huge margin. And with software implementing SSE3 and HT in the future, it seems things could swing Prescott's way.

I'm not a fan of any chipset/CPU, so only searching for educated opinions here. Thanks.

I think you pretty much answered your own question. It may not be cost effective to do a cpu-mobo change right now, especially with all the new standards that will begin appearing this summer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you already have an 848P board, it's probably not worth upgrading for you. But if you're buying a new board, the Abit IS7 has great features, cost less than $100, and still uses the 865PE.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>