Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Migrating to the PC

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 28, 2010 10:45:10 PM

In response to the decreasing reliability of my 360 (over heated twice to date), I have all but abandoned it. However, there are a few games I still play. My personal favorite is Knights of the Old Republic (1&2). Is there any way to emulate these (original) Xbox titles to my PC effectively (stable, and playable), I'm getting tired of my brother (who still uses the 360) complaining about a game he has never actually tried, but is well versed in downing.

While I'm at it, anybody found a good price on Fallout 3 PC recently?


Per-usual, thanks in advance.

More about : migrating

March 29, 2010 2:32:24 AM

It depends on your desired resolution. Say you want to game @ 1080p (1920 x 1080) and you want to max your settings, within resonable limits:

A Socket 1156 motherboard will cost say £80, an i5 750 Intel CPU maybe £140, 4Gb of good RAM probably another £80, a 500Gb SATA HDD is £40, a resonable Midi-tower case is £60, a PSU is £50 and a graphics card is £210. Thats quite a lot. £660 infact. Then youve got windows which is £75 or so, so £730. Then a monitor. so your looking about £900.

BUT

If you can live without needing to max out some of the decadent settings like Anti Aliasing etc on the really system hungry titles then you could go like this:

Radeon 5770 GPU: £120
775 Mobo: £40
4Gb DDR2: £70
320Gb SATA2: £35
Core 2 Quad 8400: £110
500W PSU: £45
Random ATX Case: £35
Windows: £75

=£630. Minus a monitor that is.

You could go cheaper still and not use DirectX11 and cut back on CPU power:

Radeon 4890: £110
Intel Dual Core e5300: £50
4Gb RAM: £65
mATX mobo: £35
160Gb HDD: £30
PSU: £45
Case: £35
22" Monitor: £100
Windows: £75

=£545

All in GBP obviouisly.

All depends on how much power you want and if you NEED to max out your settings or not.

All of those machines would play Fallout 3 on High, but you wouldnt be able to use Ultra on the last system @ 1920 x 1080 without a bit of slowdown. At lower resolutions and with less Anti Aliasing you would manage :) 
March 29, 2010 2:34:56 AM

Actually thats a load of rubbish I didnt read the question properly, 00ps :S
Related resources
March 29, 2010 3:39:58 AM

Why emulate it? Both of those games are available as PC games. The first you can get via Steam. KOTR2 is still available in retail stores.
March 29, 2010 3:03:32 PM

isamuelson said:
Why emulate it? Both of those games are available as PC games. The first you can get via Steam. KOTR2 is still available in retail stores.


Finding a copy of KotOR is getting difficult (or I'm just looking at the wrong sites), and I'm cheap so if I can get an emulator for free and save $10-15 I'm all for it.

As for steam, I really hate the Idea of downloading a game. When you buy an OS you get a 16 digit key, he who holds the key owns the product. PC games should be the same, without all this "limited installs" crap. Plus, what happens if your machine crashes? Do you just lose your $50 game? Give me a disk any day.

My solution for piracy, when you install a game you register it. And by register I mean you submit an email address with a password, and a system snapshot that are tied to your registration code. Only one pc per code is allowed and when you sell the game you delete your register (registers can only be changed every 30 days so you can't play, then un-register, and let your friend "borrow" it. This way when a registration code is used, if it is already in use you are shut down before the game even installs.

"But that would be too easy, then we could all go out and play."
-George Carlin


But I digress....

The point remains, I need a good xbox emulator.
March 29, 2010 3:38:26 PM

azconnie said:
Finding a copy of KotOR is getting difficult (or I'm just looking at the wrong sites), and I'm cheap so if I can get an emulator for free and save $10-15 I'm all for it.

As for steam, I really hate the Idea of downloading a game. When you buy an OS you get a 16 digit key, he who holds the key owns the product. PC games should be the same, without all this "limited installs" crap. Plus, what happens if your machine crashes? Do you just lose your $50 game? Give me a disk any day.

My solution for piracy, when you install a game you register it. And by register I mean you submit an email address with a password, and a system snapshot that are tied to your registration code. Only one pc per code is allowed and when you sell the game you delete your register (registers can only be changed every 30 days so you can't play, then un-register, and let your friend "borrow" it. This way when a registration code is used, if it is already in use you are shut down before the game even installs.

"But that would be too easy, then we could all go out and play."
-George Carlin


But I digress....

The point remains, I need a good xbox emulator.


Actualy, with steam, it works like you are stating. You have an account with an email. All your games are tied to that account, not your machine. You can run it on any machine you want and install it as many times as you want. There is no limited install on KOTR within Steam. That's the beauty of steam. If your machine crashes, rebuilt it, reinstall Steam, and download your games again. Oh, and if you don't want to download, Steam allows you to backup the install media to CD/DVD to install at a later date. No install limits. In fact, you don't even need the key as it's stored with your account. And most of the games have the manual included with them. A very small amount don't.

Also, unless the game itself requires online play, you can play in an offline mode with steam that doesn't require you to be connected to steam as long as you have all the updates downloaded and installed. If you have any games that are identified by Steam as needing updates, then you can't play them in offline mode. You can set Steam to start in offline mode after you've installed and updated all your applications.

Oh, and as far as emulators go, don't expect them to work efficiently, especially with an XB360 emulator.


Anonymous
March 29, 2010 3:53:59 PM

Good games will need to be played in them
March 29, 2010 6:08:41 PM

isamuelson said:
Actualy, with steam, it works like you are stating. You have an account with an email. All your games are tied to that account, not your machine. You can run it on any machine you want and install it as many times as you want. There is no limited install on KOTR within Steam. That's the beauty of steam. If your machine crashes, rebuilt it, reinstall Steam, and download your games again. Oh, and if you don't want to download, Steam allows you to backup the install media to CD/DVD to install at a later date. No install limits. In fact, you don't even need the key as it's stored with your account. And most of the games have the manual included with them. A very small amount don't.

Also, unless the game itself requires online play, you can play in an offline mode with steam that doesn't require you to be connected to steam as long as you have all the updates downloaded and installed. If you have any games that are identified by Steam as needing updates, then you can't play them in offline mode. You can set Steam to start in offline mode after you've installed and updated all your applications.

Oh, and as far as emulators go, don't expect them to work efficiently, especially with an XB360 emulator.


Eh... I have just always been of the mind that without a physical manefestation of your property you own nothing, and I have always found burnt discs containing downloaded information (legal or otherwise) to be ghetto.

Plus if your steam game is downloaded, how do you sell it?
March 29, 2010 6:21:12 PM

Well, you can't sell it. I myself don't care about selling it. I don't like dealing with ebay, etc.

And burning games that you purchased is ghetto? Then I guess you don't back up your hard drive?

It just amazes me with the "excuses" people come up with as to why you should purchase the physical game over an electronically distributed game. What happens if you lose the disc? What happens if the disc gets scratched up or if your kids think it's a Frisbee to throw for the dog? Don't laugh, I've seen this happen before, luckily not for me!

Steam has been around for well over 5+ years and it's user base continues to grow. So, the fear that people have if they "go away" is nothing but FUD.

Each to his own, but I was trying to just suggest to you that there was no need to emulate. If that's the case, then just RMA your 360 and get a new one. In the end, the PC game is no different from the original XBox versions other than the architecture it runs on. In fact, I purchased KOTR on Steam during their holiday sale for around $10 if I remember. In fact, I purchased probably over 10 games over that period that normally selll for $25+ each and I probably paid $100 total for them. Try finding that kind of deal in a store for the physical box and CD. Most stores don't have sales like that. Steam did it during Thanksgiving as well as the Christmas season and it went on for weeks. Each week, several different games would go on sale! It wasn't until around January that it finally ended. I'm sure I didn't make my wife happy buying all those games, but they were deals I just couldn't give up.

I've been running on Steam since HL2 came out and that was when it sucked and didn't work well. Since then, Valve has worked out the kinks and more and more gaming companies are signing up to distribute their games on Steam. I have probably reinstalled HL2 over 20+ times over the past couple of years due to OS reinstalls, computer upgrades, etc and I've NEVER had to call and revalidate my keys. Every time, I download HL2 and it installs never asking me for my key and it runs without issues.

I just find it hilarious when people give proof on how Steam works and others still try to invalidate it. But, either you like it or you don't. I was also of the mind that I like having the physical medium in my hands. That changed one night when I finally took a look at all the CDs/DVDs I had that are taking up so much space. And, with a high-speed internet connection, it doesn't take too long to download and install most games, although the latest ones are taking over an hour to download and install. But, Steam will also remember where it left of if the connection goes bad or you have to reboot or disconnect. And, I've never had an install be corrupted because of this.

But, once again, each to his own. Hopefully, you find what you need to get it to work, but I really find emulation flaky and not all that great. Because you are emulating hardware via software, it runs slower and you better have a really fast machine as well as graphics card that can handle it because otherwise, it won't be worth it. It's kind of like how interpreted Basic is slower than straight machine code. You have to interpret the commands and turn them into commands the machine understands. Same goes with the emulators. I remember when the PS and PS2 emulators came out. Those things sucked and you had to find the bios and everything else for the machines, which usually was not legal to do anyways, so you might as well be pirating. It just depends on the emulator.
March 30, 2010 5:51:34 PM

isamuelson said:
Well, you can't sell it. I myself don't care about selling it. I don't like dealing with ebay, etc.

And burning games that you purchased is ghetto? Then I guess you don't back up your hard drive?

It just amazes me with the "excuses" people come up with as to why you should purchase the physical game over an electronically distributed game. What happens if you lose the disc? What happens if the disc gets scratched up or if your kids think it's a Frisbee to throw for the dog? Don't laugh, I've seen this happen before, luckily not for me!

Steam has been around for well over 5+ years and it's user base continues to grow. So, the fear that people have if they "go away" is nothing but FUD.

Each to his own, but I was trying to just suggest to you that there was no need to emulate. If that's the case, then just RMA your 360 and get a new one. In the end, the PC game is no different from the original XBox versions other than the architecture it runs on. In fact, I purchased KOTR on Steam during their holiday sale for around $10 if I remember. In fact, I purchased probably over 10 games over that period that normally selll for $25+ each and I probably paid $100 total for them. Try finding that kind of deal in a store for the physical box and CD. Most stores don't have sales like that. Steam did it during Thanksgiving as well as the Christmas season and it went on for weeks. Each week, several different games would go on sale! It wasn't until around January that it finally ended. I'm sure I didn't make my wife happy buying all those games, but they were deals I just couldn't give up.

I've been running on Steam since HL2 came out and that was when it sucked and didn't work well. Since then, Valve has worked out the kinks and more and more gaming companies are signing up to distribute their games on Steam. I have probably reinstalled HL2 over 20+ times over the past couple of years due to OS reinstalls, computer upgrades, etc and I've NEVER had to call and revalidate my keys. Every time, I download HL2 and it installs never asking me for my key and it runs without issues.

I just find it hilarious when people give proof on how Steam works and others still try to invalidate it. But, either you like it or you don't. I was also of the mind that I like having the physical medium in my hands. That changed one night when I finally took a look at all the CDs/DVDs I had that are taking up so much space. And, with a high-speed internet connection, it doesn't take too long to download and install most games, although the latest ones are taking over an hour to download and install. But, Steam will also remember where it left of if the connection goes bad or you have to reboot or disconnect. And, I've never had an install be corrupted because of this.

But, once again, each to his own. Hopefully, you find what you need to get it to work, but I really find emulation flaky and not all that great. Because you are emulating hardware via software, it runs slower and you better have a really fast machine as well as graphics card that can handle it because otherwise, it won't be worth it. It's kind of like how interpreted Basic is slower than straight machine code. You have to interpret the commands and turn them into commands the machine understands. Same goes with the emulators. I remember when the PS and PS2 emulators came out. Those things sucked and you had to find the bios and everything else for the machines, which usually was not legal to do anyways, so you might as well be pirating. It just depends on the emulator.


In the order of your points, evidently you can't sell PC games at all (according to game stop, but that's according to game stop). And I do backup my HDD, to another HDD. My game files, and other semi expendable data are backed up onto my data drive. My documents are backed up into a folder called FIAT (fix it again ted) on the data disk, and all the books I have written, as well as my pictures and music are on my main HDD, my data HDD, and my novels and photos are on my hand held, and at least an SD card and a thumb drive. All my game disks are in the original packaging and are kept on my shelf. I have no children.

As for wanting to emulate in the first place, just looking to save a few buck, but it's not worth reworking the bios. And as for my saying the burnt cds were ghetto, having a bulk disk in an unlabeled package with "Cryostasis" written on the front in sharpie almost screams "I stole this". As you said though, each to his own. I might actually be forced to use steam eventually as the big box stores have 30 yards of console games, and about one shelf of PC titles. Problem for me though is that I have terrible memory, so by the time I can afford a game, I have forgotten the title. Still looking for Fallout 3, but I refuse to pay more than $25 for the GOTY (going price for Oblivion GOTY).
March 30, 2010 5:59:08 PM

As long as you have the purchase order (I save all of my online purchase receipts), I have no problem with writing "Crysis" or "Spore" or whatever on my discs. In fact, who's going to care? I mean, really, it doesn't matter. As long as you have the purchase receipt, you aren't going to jail.

Second, since you purchased it online, there is no reason for someone to come and look at your discs and say "Hey! You're a pirate!"

I find that argument a little weak. I can understand more the "wanting to have the physical medium in my hands". In fact, the only time I actually purchase the physical medium is:

  • It's on sale at a price better than Steam (rare, but it happens)
  • Collector editions - when these come with a lot of cool extras, I'll usually purchase these instead of the electronic version (Oblivion, The Witcher, Prey were games where I purchased the boxed copys).

    As for finding a great price on Fallout 3 GOTY at $25, good luck. You won't find it. It will probably drop in price in another year or so, so if you're patient, it will eventually get there. It's just a little too new right now to go at that price.

    One other thing I absolutely hate doing is searching for my install medium. With steam, I just say "download and install" and it's on it's way. Having to dig through my discs and boxes to find the game and the install key is such a pain now with all the games I have. Steam has made my life a LOT easier, especially with the games that require online activation and have limited installs. A couple of my games have required me to call into the publisher to get a new activation code. It's a pain and I hate it. With Steam, I don't have those problems (although with Assassin's Creed 2, that is apparently the way Ubisoft made Valve accept it which sucks!)
    March 30, 2010 6:28:22 PM

    OMG THANK YOU

    can i sell you fallout 3 not goty for 20 bucks?
    March 31, 2010 12:41:15 AM

    isamuelson said:
    As long as you have the purchase order (I save all of my online purchase receipts), I have no problem with writing "Crysis" or "Spore" or whatever on my discs. In fact, who's going to care? I mean, really, it doesn't matter. As long as you have the purchase receipt, you aren't going to jail.

    Second, since you purchased it online, there is no reason for someone to come and look at your discs and say "Hey! You're a pirate!"

    I find that argument a little weak. I can understand more the "wanting to have the physical medium in my hands". In fact, the only time I actually purchase the physical medium is:

  • It's on sale at a price better than Steam (rare, but it happens)
  • Collector editions - when these come with a lot of cool extras, I'll usually purchase these instead of the electronic version (Oblivion, The Witcher, Prey were games where I purchased the boxed copys).

    As for finding a great price on Fallout 3 GOTY at $25, good luck. You won't find it. It will probably drop in price in another year or so, so if you're patient, it will eventually get there. It's just a little too new right now to go at that price.

    One other thing I absolutely hate doing is searching for my install medium. With steam, I just say "download and install" and it's on it's way. Having to dig through my discs and boxes to find the game and the install key is such a pain now with all the games I have. Steam has made my life a LOT easier, especially with the games that require online activation and have limited installs. A couple of my games have required me to call into the publisher to get a new activation code. It's a pain and I hate it. With Steam, I don't have those problems (although with Assassin's Creed 2, that is apparently the way Ubisoft made Valve accept it which sucks!)



  • I have been called stubborn more than once... I'll start looking into this steam thing. I'm all for convieniance, and I'm seven flavors of cheap, but I'm also old fashoned.

    This reminds me of a story actually, when the ATM was first invented banks were planning on massive downsising (like one employee per brach part time downsizing), but what they found was people missed the interaction of trading money with another person.

    Like I said, Ill read into it, but I have never been one for the band wagon.
    March 31, 2010 12:43:33 AM

    razercultmember1 said:
    OMG THANK YOU

    can i sell you fallout 3 not goty for 20 bucks?


    I already found non GOTY for $20, I wan't the goty, not just because of the convienance of singular packaging, but the mods have been slightly polished to ensure they work absolutly correct together.
    March 31, 2010 1:29:17 AM

    blast! ahwell another day another dollar
    March 31, 2010 2:34:21 AM

    azconnie said:
    I have been called stubborn more than once... I'll start looking into this steam thing. I'm all for convieniance, and I'm seven flavors of cheap, but I'm also old fashoned.

    This reminds me of a story actually, when the ATM was first invented banks were planning on massive downsising (like one employee per brach part time downsizing), but what they found was people missed the interaction of trading money with another person.

    Like I said, Ill read into it, but I have never been one for the band wagon.


    Cool. Nothing wrong with checking it out. Also, go to http://www.gog.com if you really like old games from the early 90's and such. They have a TON of games you can't get anywhere and they are all DRM free and you can download them as many times as you want and install them on as many computers as you want. And, it's all legal. Plus, they provide PDF versions of the manuals and other extras as well after you purchase. I believe the most expensive game is $9.99, but most are around $5.99. Really cheap and a great nostalgic trip back in time when PC games ruled and the only console to compete against was the NES.



    March 31, 2010 2:09:37 PM

    Steam do crazy cheap offers too, like the THQ complete pack for silly low prices.
    Awesome thing about Steam - you can go to your freinds house, log into steam on their machine with your account, install your games on their HDD and play 'em! Im not sure if you can log into two machines simultaneously with the same account or not though. And once you have logged out they cant play the games.

    Yesterday they had every Quake game and mission pack all together for about £8.50 (= $13 or something).

    http://steampowered.com
    March 31, 2010 2:16:23 PM

    RickyT23 said:
    Steam do crazy cheap offers too, like the THQ complete pack for silly low prices.
    Awesome thing about Steam - you can go to your freinds house, log into steam on their machine with your account, install your games on their HDD and play 'em! Im not sure if you can log into two machines simultaneously with the same account or not though. And once you have logged out they cant play the games.

    Yesterday they had every Quake game and mission pack all together for about £8.50 (= $13 or something).

    http://steampowered.com


    No, if you're already logged in somewhere else, it eventually gives you some kind of message like "UserID steam ticket expired".

    As for the Quake pack, I got that during their holiday sale for the same price, I believe. Now, if they would get Quake IV on Steam, that would be great!



    May 30, 2010 3:58:41 AM

    Steam is the best way to go. If you look at the price of games like, let's say, "Left for Dead", that game alone costs a bit more on a ps3, 360 or as a normal PC game than a package with BOTH LFD 1 and 2 does on steam. Unfortunately, you might be looking for a 100% free way to do this, and therefore, I can't help anymore than what was mentioned above.

    May 30, 2010 3:32:34 PM

    raywilliamjohnson said:
    Steam is the best way to go. If you look at the price of games like, let's say, "Left for Dead", that game alone costs a bit more on a ps3, 360 or as a normal PC game than a package with BOTH LFD 1 and 2 does on steam. Unfortunately, you might be looking for a 100% free way to do this, and therefore, I can't help anymore than what was mentioned above.


    My moral statutes are un-wavering. On a personal note I support the modern anti-piracy practices to take on some of the British Navys standings on maritime piracy freom the days before Yohan Auto (that makes sense, look it up).

    I could go into a rant about a grizzly fate for hackers and the like, but then I will have hijacked my own thread ( a violation of the toms licence agreement).

    The whole point of this was that I find issue with KotOR 2 (circa FEB2005) costing more than Assassins Creed 1 (circa APR2008) for a new copy ($20 box vs. $10 jewl case respectivly).
    !