Shuttle AN35N Ultra won't boot

atoner

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I have a system that is AMD 2000+ with a Gigabyte motherboard and Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4600. I went out and bought a AMD 3000+ with a Shuttle AN35N Ultra motherboard and a 430 watt power supply. I replaced only the mobo, psu, and cpu on my system. The system will POST, load the BIOS, but will not load into Windows XP.

I tried putting a Knoppix linux CD into the CD drive, and I can boot from it, but any time I boot into XP on the HDD it shows the XP splash screen for a second and then bluescreens. I can't see the bluescreen's contents because the PC reboots itself as soon as it is displayed.

If it boots into Knoppix just fine, is it safe to assume that a fresh install of XP will fix my problems? I haven't tried reinstalling yet because I have to locate my setup CD. What else could be going on here?

Thanks,
-A-

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Fresh install will most likely fix it, which is why you should always do a fresh install for a new motherboard. There are jsut too many driver differences between two boards, even two based on the same chipset.

pat

Expert
XP doesnt like major hardware change...part of its copy protection/activation scheme. Motherboard and cpu are major component...so you'll have ti reinstall Windows in order to fix that.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!