Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I wish there was a "sticky" for this area of the forum, but since there isn't I might be asking some pretty newb questions for this section.

I was wondering how hard it is to construct a laptop. I have built many desktops in the past, and my father has asked me to build or buy him a new laptop. He wants a really high end rig and has the money to spend. I don't know exactly how much he is willing to spend yet. My real question is how hard is it to build a laptop? Or do you guys just buy these "pretty much" put together already?

I would also appreciate maybe a quick readout on what I should be looking at buying. The speed of this system will be more important than the graphics.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I recommend just buying a laptop. It is quicker, easier, cheaper, smaller, and will be better. Building your own laptop is really sort of a novelty thing. I too once had great ambitions of building my own laptop when I went into the market for one. It was fairly hard to find parts, it was even harder to find parts that would fit together, and everything was extremely expensive.
The IBM Thinkpad I got was not cheap by any means but it was still cheaper than if I had built one myself. And there was no way I was going to make one 1" thick like my IBM.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>