Concentrate barbarian weapon quandry

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

USWest, SC, Ladder.

I am currently in possession of a Coldsteel Eye (unique cutlass), 247% ED,
non-upgraded. I have the Lum and Pul necessary to upgrade it to an ataghan.
I am also in possession of an ethereal Highland Blade with 4 sockets. This
is a candidate for the "Oath" runeword. It too requires the use of a Lum and
a Pul, but also needs a Mal, which I don't presently have. I could wait for
the Mal and then make the Oath, or I could use the Lum and Pul now to upgrade
the Coldsteel.

Which would you choose?

--
To battle!

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Without looking up all the stats (because I'm at work still), I'd ask
if you have a 2nd Coldsteel Eye that later characters would be able to
use if you did upgrade your current one?

--
Ashen Shugar

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I'd probably be more inclined to go the upgrade now. I'd guess finding
another Pul and Lum would be almost as likely as finding a Mal, if not
more so.

Unless Oath has some mod you really really want, I'd use the runes now.

--
Ashen Shugar

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> The upgraded 247 Coldsteel would look like this:
>
> (From adeyke's upgrade calculator)
>
> Coldsteel Eye Ataghan
>
> Strength Required 138
> Dexterity Required 95
> Level Required 52
> One Handed Damage 90-159

Damage wise, Oath highland blade is higher. Let's see:
Base damage: 22 - 62
Ethereal 50% bonus: 33 - 93
210% ed: 102 - 288
340% ed: 145 - 409

So even at its lowest ed, your Oath will have higher damage than your
upgraded Coldsteel. Can we hope for average ed, 275%? That will take
us to 124 - 233.

Let's consider the 50% Deadly Strike on Coldsteel.
50% of the time you deal 90 - 159
50% of the time you deal 180 - 318
Your average damage is then 135 - 239

50% IAS highland blade versus 20% IAS athagan. I'm sure you've done
your weapon speed check. I have not, I'll just assume they have the
same speed for simplification. Highland blade has farther range, but
let's ignore that. With about equal damage, better properties on
Coldsteel and cheaper in terms of runes used, I'd recommend upgraded
Coldsteel.

> --
> To battle!

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Oops, mistake on first post.

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> The upgraded 247 Coldsteel would look like this:
>
> (From adeyke's upgrade calculator)
>
> Coldsteel Eye Ataghan
>
> Strength Required 138
> Dexterity Required 95
> Level Required 52
> One Handed Damage 90-159

> Hit Blinds Target +1
> Slows Target by 30%
> 50% Deadly Strike
> +50 Durability
> +20% Increased Attack Speed
> 6% Mana stolen per hit

Damage wise, Oath highland blade is higher. Let's see:
Base damage: 22 - 62
Ethereal 50% bonus: 33 - 93
210% ed: 102 - 288
340% ed: 145 - 409

So even at its lowest ed, your Oath will have higher damage than your
upgraded Coldsteel. Can we hope for average ed, 275%? That will take
us to 124 - 345.

Let's consider the 50% Deadly Strike on Coldsteel. DS means double the
weapon damage, regardless of difficulty and monster?
50% of the time you deal 90 - 159
50% of the time you deal 180 - 318
Your average damage is then 135 - 239

50% IAS highland blade versus 20% IAS athagan. I'm sure you've done
your weapon speed check. I have not, I'll just assume they have the
same speed for simplification. Highland blade has farther range.
Based on this calculation, I'd choose the Oath.

Unless DS is not double the weapon damage, but instead double the
damage your character deals (after taking into consideration Strength,
ed% from other items). In which case, we'll have to know exactly your
stats and rest of items.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Oops, never mind that. DS = double damage after all bonus. So it's
very likely that your upgraded Coldsteel will do more average damage.
I change my stand, and choose the upgraded Coldsteel instead.

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> USWest, SC, Ladder.
>
> I am currently in possession of a Coldsteel Eye (unique cutlass),
> 247% ED, non-upgraded. I have the Lum and Pul necessary to upgrade
> it to an ataghan. I am also in possession of an ethereal Highland
> Blade with 4 sockets. This is a candidate for the "Oath" runeword.
> It too requires the use of a Lum and a Pul, but also needs a Mal,
> which I don't presently have. I could wait for the Mal and then
> make the Oath, or I could use the Lum and Pul now to upgrade the
> Coldsteel.
>
> Which would you choose?

Overall it will probably make little difference. Just pick whichever one
you think looks coolest. :)

--
chainbreaker

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
g7pnh19r6pn5hcdi2j3g72s5joffh4qdmu@4ax.com to this Interweb chatroom:

> USWest, SC, Ladder.
>
> I am currently in possession of a Coldsteel Eye (unique cutlass),
> 247% ED, non-upgraded. I have the Lum and Pul necessary to upgrade
> it to an ataghan. I am also in possession of an ethereal Highland
> Blade with 4 sockets. This is a candidate for the "Oath" runeword.
> It too requires the use of a Lum and a Pul, but also needs a Mal,
> which I don't presently have. I could wait for the Mal and then
> make the Oath, or I could use the Lum and Pul now to upgrade the
> Coldsteel.
>
> Which would you choose?

Isn't there a 4s eth Zweihander on the mules?
Anyway, I would go Oath. That lvl20 Bone Spirit is not just a trivial
addition, and magic absorb is never a bad thing. DS with the sword mastery
CS is a bit uncertain, and Oath is just more fun.

chainbreaker wrote:
> Heh, I've never been into that color coordination thingy, but I was talking
> to Jill yesterday and jokingly said I was going to try a HC barb using
> nothing any better than regular magic or rare (blue/yellow) items only, just
> to see how far I could get. The more I think about it the more I think I
> may really try it, except use only blues. I'm not sure how long I'll stick
> with it if I do though, because I'm pretty sure I can get a long way in the
> game doing that, but it'd probably get pretty frustrating/boring after a
> while.
>
> Anybody ever do anything like this with a HC melee'er?

It's been done by many of the people in www.diablo.net forums.
Especially if you lurk at the Single Player Forum there, you'll find
many odd builds that succesfully made it to Guardianship. There's no
need to register if you are just lurking. Most recent odd builds
include the use of Wirt Leg from when it's available until
Guardianship, 10+ tried, 3 made it to Guardianship, all untwinked, all
melee. Other odd builds include all blues and all greens plus the
requirement that every newly drop must be equipped right away, unless
it's impossible, such as IK helm when playing non barb.

Alex Holtz wrote:
> chainbreaker wrote:
>> Heh, I've never been into that color coordination thingy, but I was
>> talking to Jill yesterday and jokingly said I was going to try a HC
>> barb using nothing any better than regular magic or rare
>> (blue/yellow) items only, just to see how far I could get. The more
>> I think about it the more I think I may really try it, except use
>> only blues. I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it if I do
>> though, because I'm pretty sure I can get a long way in the game
>> doing that, but it'd probably get pretty frustrating/boring after a
>> while.
>>
>> Anybody ever do anything like this with a HC melee'er?
>
> It's been done by many of the people in www.diablo.net forums.
> Especially if you lurk at the Single Player Forum there, you'll find
> many odd builds that succesfully made it to Guardianship. There's no
> need to register if you are just lurking. Most recent odd builds
> include the use of Wirt Leg from when it's available until
> Guardianship, 10+ tried, 3 made it to Guardianship, all untwinked, all
> melee. Other odd builds include all blues and all greens plus the
> requirement that every newly drop must be equipped right away, unless
> it's impossible, such as IK helm when playing non barb.
>
>> --
>> chainbreaker

Were these build done by folks grouping or mostly playing solo--or do you
know? And that "equip right away" twist is insane! Talk about having to
make quick playstyle adjustments--heh, I think so slowly on my feet that I
probably wouldn't make it through A1 Normal if I had to do that.

--
chainbreaker

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Ashen Shugar" <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au>, in a display of leetness, fell down
the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>Without looking up all the stats (because I'm at work still), I'd ask
>if you have a 2nd Coldsteel Eye that later characters would be able to
>use if you did upgrade your current one?

Yes, we have a couple more Coldsteels of lesser stats.

The upgraded 247 Coldsteel would look like this:

(From adeyke's upgrade calculator)

Coldsteel Eye Ataghan

Strength Required 138
Dexterity Required 95
Level Required 52
One Handed Damage 90-159

Hit Blinds Target +1
Slows Target by 30%
50% Deadly Strike
+50 Durability
+20% Increased Attack Speed
6% Mana stolen per hit

As for the "Oath" highland blade... well, the range of potential damage is
quite wide. The Coldsteel is more of a "sure thing". The Deadly Strike
combined with good innate speed and reasonable damage makes it a very
interesting option. It's a range 1 weapon, however.

--
To battle!

chainbreaker wrote:
> Alex Holtz wrote:
> >> Anybody ever do anything like this with a HC melee'er?
> >
> > It's been done by many of the people in www.diablo.net forums.
> > Especially if you lurk at the Single Player Forum there, you'll find
> > many odd builds that succesfully made it to Guardianship. There's no
> > need to register if you are just lurking. Most recent odd builds
> > include the use of Wirt Leg from when it's available until
> > Guardianship, 10+ tried, 3 made it to Guardianship, all untwinked, all
> > melee. Other odd builds include all blues and all greens plus the
> > requirement that every newly drop must be equipped right away, unless
> > it's impossible, such as IK helm when playing non barb.
> >
> >> --
> >> chainbreaker
>
> Were these build done by folks grouping or mostly playing solo--or do you
> know? And that "equip right away" twist is insane! Talk about having to
> make quick playstyle adjustments--heh, I think so slowly on my feet that I
> probably wouldn't make it through A1 Normal if I had to do that.

They are all playing solo, and post their progress on the same thread,
so it's quite easy to follow. It's good read, I pick up a lot of nice
strategies from reading these odd builds. Residents on that forum are
insane, they have basically tried everything there is. If you ever
heard of the name Mongo-Jerry, while he was a resident there, he beat
Normal Andariel in HC with a naked sorceress + naked rogue, no skill or
stat used, full clear, except 3 or 4 unbeatable uniques (search for the
article "Adventure of Irene"). M-J is on a break now I believe. At
some time, Jarulf was also a resident / contributor.

"Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>Oops, never mind that. DS = double damage after all bonus. So it's
>very likely that your upgraded Coldsteel will do more average damage.
>I change my stand, and choose the upgraded Coldsteel instead.

Hehe, fair enough. It strikes me as a "six of one, half a dozen of the
other" scenario anyway.

Deadly Strike/Critical Strike are indeed a chance to double total physical
damage, after all other factors have applied. So, first damage from
charms/other gear is added to weapon damage, than %enhanced damage from
skills/auras is applied to that modified total, then critical strike/deadly
strike have a chance to double all of that.

Re the speed, assuming no off-weapon IAS (a good assumption, in the case of
the build/gear I'm working towards), it's 10 FPA for the coldsteel (socketed
with a shael) versus 11 FPA for the "Oath" highland blade, wielded one-handed.

The damage calculations are reasonably close to what you outlined, with one
slight alteration, that being inherent critical strike from barbarian sword
mastery. Iif critical strike doesn't "fire" on a given hit, the game "rolls"
to see if deadly strike "fires" instead, to double damage. It's a "one or
the other" scenario, unlike 1.09. The upshoot of that is that, with some
critical strike from sword mastery, the "damage over time" increase for 50%
deadly strike is a bit *less* than the 50% stated.

The barbarian in question is currently at the beginning of nightmare. I'll
leave things until he starts to hell to decide, but I'm leaning towards
upgrading the coldsteel.

Thanks for the replies all.

--
To battle!

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:02:43 +1200, Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>> "Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
>> stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
>>
>> >Oops, never mind that. DS = double damage after all bonus. So it's
>> >very likely that your upgraded Coldsteel will do more average damage.
>> >I change my stand, and choose the upgraded Coldsteel instead.
>>
>> Hehe, fair enough. It strikes me as a "six of one, half a dozen of the
>> other" scenario anyway.
>>
>> Deadly Strike/Critical Strike are indeed a chance to double total physical
>> damage, after all other factors have applied. So, first damage from
>> charms/other gear is added to weapon damage, than %enhanced damage from
>> skills/auras is applied to that modified total, then critical strike/deadly
>> strike have a chance to double all of that.
>>
>> Re the speed, assuming no off-weapon IAS (a good assumption, in the case of
>> the build/gear I'm working towards), it's 10 FPA for the coldsteel (socketed
>> with a shael) versus 11 FPA for the "Oath" highland blade, wielded one-handed.
>>
>> The damage calculations are reasonably close to what you outlined, with one
>> slight alteration, that being inherent critical strike from barbarian sword
>> mastery. Iif critical strike doesn't "fire" on a given hit, the game "rolls"
>> to see if deadly strike "fires" instead, to double damage. It's a "one or
>> the other" scenario, unlike 1.09. The upshoot of that is that, with some
>> critical strike from sword mastery, the "damage over time" increase for 50%
>> deadly strike is a bit *less* than the 50% stated.
>>
>> The barbarian in question is currently at the beginning of nightmare. I'll
>> leave things until he starts to hell to decide, but I'm leaning towards
>> upgrading the coldsteel.
>>
>> Thanks for the replies all.

Last point: The upgraded coldsteel can be socketed, and lifesteal (amn)
or enhanced damage (jewel/Ohm) or whatever else interests you inserted.

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>Stephen van Ham wrote:
>> USWest, SC, Ladder.
>>
>> I am currently in possession of a Coldsteel Eye (unique cutlass),
>> 247% ED, non-upgraded. I have the Lum and Pul necessary to upgrade
>> it to an ataghan. I am also in possession of an ethereal Highland
>> Blade with 4 sockets. This is a candidate for the "Oath" runeword.
>> It too requires the use of a Lum and a Pul, but also needs a Mal,
>> which I don't presently have. I could wait for the Mal and then
>> make the Oath, or I could use the Lum and Pul now to upgrade the
>> Coldsteel.
>>
>> Which would you choose?
>
>Overall it will probably make little difference. Just pick whichever one
>you think looks coolest. :)

For sure. It just seemed like an interesting conversation piece, if nothing
else. :) Having said that, I think Oath Highland Blade sounds cooler than
Coldsteel Eye Ataghan. Or maybe not. Hmmm! I should check colour
coordinations...

--
To battle!

Stephen van Ham wrote:
>> Overall it will probably make little difference. Just pick
>> whichever one you think looks coolest. :)
>
> For sure. It just seemed like an interesting conversation piece, if
> nothing else. :) Having said that, I think Oath Highland Blade
> sounds cooler than Coldsteel Eye Ataghan. Or maybe not. Hmmm! I
> should check colour coordinations...

Definitely! :)

"Chris Lansdell" <lansdellicious@gmail.com>, in a display of leetness, fell
down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>Isn't there a 4s eth Zweihander on the mules?

Might well be, but a zweihander is only exceptional grade anyway. Although
admittedly, zweihander *is* a cool name for a weapon.

>Anyway, I would go Oath. That lvl20 Bone Spirit is not just a trivial
>addition, and magic absorb is never a bad thing. DS with the sword mastery
>CS is a bit uncertain, and Oath is just more fun.

Yes. Hmmm!

--
To battle!

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet>, in a display of leetness,
fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at
Baal...

>Last point: The upgraded coldsteel can be socketed, and lifesteal (amn)
>or enhanced damage (jewel/Ohm) or whatever else interests you inserted.

Certainly! Shael would probably be my early choice (it takes the weapon from
a 11 FPA attack to 10 FPA, assuming no off-weapon IAS), since I'll have some
life steal from other gear, and a good damage jewel/Ohm isn't available yet.

--
To battle!

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>Definitely! :)

>Heh, I've never been into that color coordination thingy, but I was talking
>to Jill yesterday and jokingly said I was going to try a HC barb using
>nothing any better than regular magic or rare (blue/yellow) items only, just
>to see how far I could get. The more I think about it the more I think I
>may really try it, except use only blues. I'm not sure how long I'll stick
>with it if I do though, because I'm pretty sure I can get a long way in the
>game doing that, but it'd probably get pretty frustrating/boring after a
>while.
>
>Anybody ever do anything like this with a HC melee'er?

Well... if you can get hold of a chromatic circlet and amulet of life
everlasting, you'll be well on your way. A pair of blue echoing weapons on
switch, as usual. Shield could be a nice chromatic/deflecting piece. Blue
rings - resist all+life steal. Gloves - resist + 20 IAS. Weapon - good
cruel+quickness. Sounds like a hoot, although the lack of any crushing blow
might become an issue for Hell Ancients. :) I was going to do this a
while ago with an SC Fire Claws druid, and even had a mule of bits ready for
him to us, but it wear nearish the end of last season and I just never got to
it.

--
To battle!

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, in a display of leetness, fell
> down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash
> at Baal...
>
>> Definitely! :)
>
>> Heh, I've never been into that color coordination thingy, but I was
>> talking to Jill yesterday and jokingly said I was going to try a HC
>> barb using nothing any better than regular magic or rare
>> (blue/yellow) items only, just to see how far I could get. The more
>> I think about it the more I think I may really try it, except use
>> only blues. I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it if I do
>> though, because I'm pretty sure I can get a long way in the game
>> doing that, but it'd probably get pretty frustrating/boring after a
>> while.
>>
>> Anybody ever do anything like this with a HC melee'er?
>
> Well... if you can get hold of a chromatic circlet and amulet of life
> everlasting, you'll be well on your way. A pair of blue echoing
> weapons on switch, as usual. Shield could be a nice
> chromatic/deflecting piece. Blue rings - resist all+life steal.
> Gloves - resist + 20 IAS. Weapon - good cruel+quickness. Sounds
> like a hoot, although the lack of any crushing blow might become an
> issue for Hell Ancients. :) I was going to do this a while ago
> with an SC Fire Claws druid, and even had a mule of bits ready for
> him to us, but it wear nearish the end of last season and I just
> never got to it.

Hmm, you're right--Hell Ancients could be a bit of a PITA. I'm pretty sure
I could get at least that far using blues, barring anything extraordinary
happening, which is always a HC possibility, but the more I think on it, the
more I'm not sure that I'd want to, because I suspect that it might quickly
become more work than play. :)

--
chainbreaker

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>It's been done by many of the people in www.diablo.net forums.
>Especially if you lurk at the Single Player Forum there, you'll find
>many odd builds that succesfully made it to Guardianship. There's no
>need to register if you are just lurking. Most recent odd builds
>include the use of Wirt Leg from when it's available until
>Guardianship, 10+ tried, 3 made it to Guardianship, all untwinked, all
>melee. Other odd builds include all blues and all greens plus the
>requirement that every newly drop must be equipped right away, unless
>it's impossible, such as IK helm when playing non barb.

Whoo! I've had the name Wirtinator reserved on USWest since 1.09.
*ponders*

And guess who started HC Ladder today. When will I ever learn?

- Hamster-HC
Level 14 HC Barbarian

--
To battle!

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Stephen van Ham wrote:

> And guess who started HC Ladder today. When will I ever learn?
>
> - Hamster-HC
> Level 14 HC Barbarian

Oh, so YOU are the Hamster dude! It all makes perfect sense now. I was
playing an assassin this weekend. It was good to see you online.

-Jason

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Ruben-P wrote:
> "Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> [Snip]
> > And guess who started HC Ladder today. When will I ever learn?
> >
> > - Hamster-HC
> > Level 14 HC Barbarian
>
> I noticed that you were in AGDHC, and wanted in the worst way to join you,
> but was committed to gearing up to join a beginning nightmare hardcore romp
> (we quested through the first two acts, into act three). Hopefully, I can
> join you soon. I have characters of many different levels, so I can
> probably find something close. I'd love to game with you again, although it
> seems that when I do, I cause you to have serious lag problems. :)

Gaming yesterday was fun. Maybe NOW, after playing in like 15 games
with you, you'll FINALLY remember my name. :)

-Jason

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
[Snip]
> And guess who started HC Ladder today. When will I ever learn?
>
> - Hamster-HC
> Level 14 HC Barbarian

I noticed that you were in AGDHC, and wanted in the worst way to join you,
but was committed to gearing up to join a beginning nightmare hardcore romp
(we quested through the first two acts, into act three). Hopefully, I can
join you soon. I have characters of many different levels, so I can
probably find something close. I'd love to game with you again, although it
seems that when I do, I cause you to have serious lag problems. :)

Welcome back to the dark side [Grin]

Ruben

"Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ruben-P wrote:
>> "Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> [Snip]
>> > And guess who started HC Ladder today. When will I ever learn?
>> >
>> > - Hamster-HC
>> > Level 14 HC Barbarian
>>
>> I noticed that you were in AGDHC, and wanted in the worst way to join
>> you,
>> but was committed to gearing up to join a beginning nightmare hardcore
>> romp
>> (we quested through the first two acts, into act three). Hopefully, I
>> can
>> join you soon. I have characters of many different levels, so I can
>> probably find something close. I'd love to game with you again, although
>> it
>> seems that when I do, I cause you to have serious lag problems. :)
>
> Gaming yesterday was fun. Maybe NOW, after playing in like 15 games
> with you, you'll FINALLY remember my name. :)
>
> -Jason

Nah, no chance. I'm an old fart, remember. Some days I hardly remember my
own name! LOL

Ruben