Bios Problem

lemming911

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Hi All

I have a Albatron KX18D pro II mainboard which until I played with the memory timings was working perfectly. While clearing bios with the jumper and restarting, we (believe it or not!!!) had a power cut as the PC was restarting and the "warning don't power off now, bios loading" message was being displayed. I now can't start on the primary bios at all.
I swapped to the rescue bios and the PC lives again but can't see anywhere if it is possible to fix the primary bios from the secondary.

Help!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, d00d, you have to have the power off to clear BIOS. Unless you're saying you were trying to UPDATE BIOS from a file, in which case the BIOS CLEAR jumper shouldn't have been messed with anyway. I'd tell you how to fix your chip, but I'm afraid you'd just screw something else up.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lemming911

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Thanks for the assumption that I'm an Idiot!!

Yes the AC was disconnected when I set the jumper to "clear bios"

What you obviously don't know is what the Albatron MOBO does on the next power up which is as my original post.

Uninformed advise is not welcome. :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, so you had the AC disconnected, moved the jumper, moved it back, connected the AC and the power came up automatically? That would make sence, many boards have the "resume on from AC power loss" option in BIOS. Anyway, I can't see anything being harmed as long as you're not flashing BIOS, so perhaps it's still possible to clear it again to it's original state. Sometimes it takes longer than others.

From your original post I couldn't tell exactly what you'd done and thought maybe you'd damaged the chip. But assuming that didn't happen, and the BIOS got corrupted, you can reflash it. You can do the hot-flash by booting off the second BIOS, switching to the main chip after the command prompt, and flashing the main chip. It shouldn't be risky because you have the switch (jumper) on your board so you can't short anything out, and BIOS isn't being accessed by the time you get to the command prompt.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>