Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bad Company 2- bad crashes,pc

Last response: in Video Games
March 31, 2010 11:25:35 PM

Hello . :o 
Two hours after (DVD) installation i get this nasty crash , system just shut down and reboots ( i know ,some people complaining about crashing to desktop ),so i turned on VSync and that seems to help a little,but i still get ocasional crash ones in a while .Single mode or multiplayer
I would appreciate some help on this matter.

Other games ( fallout 3,COD world at war,FarCry2 ) are fine,all high or very high settings .Thanks !

Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
AMD Phenom IIx4 940 @ 3.6ghz
Zalman 9700NT
4GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5
WD Caviar Black 500GB
XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 ( 10.3 CCC )(GPU930mhz mem1200mhz)
ULTRA LSP 650W
Win 7X64bit
April 1, 2010 5:26:34 AM

Have you gotten all of the patches? There is an updater in the BC2 file that you can run if you haven't updated it.
m
l
April 1, 2010 7:07:21 AM

Yes i run updater that started automatically right after install, and patches....i did look for it but i cant find any ( found some links online but the sources are shaky ). I know the game is new ,so before i start downloading some crap that i'm not sure abouti was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.Thanks for quick reply SpinachEater.
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2010 12:06:15 PM

...We talking SYSTEM reset here?

I'd recommend a memtest, just in case...then the other standard steps [Temps, defrag, re-install of game, etc].
m
l

Best solution

April 1, 2010 12:47:32 PM

Turn down your overclock or take it off to test. BC2 HAMMERS your GPU and CPU(if its a dual core, so you are fine here). I had to send back my 5870 because it would artifact at stock, it also failed and reported errors in a stress test so I am using an old 8800GTS. I've had this cards overclocked pretty well through several games, but NOT with BC2. I had to turn that OFF. It does have a slight OC from stock so I keep it at that. I also crank up the fan profile otherwise it crashes or acts weird after an hour or two. I have buddies that have experienced the same thing with their overclocked cards.
April 1, 2010 1:49:22 PM

Dude, Jay. No way. I was running a 1440 res monitor and was doing just fine but I just recently bumped up to a 1920 res monitor and I am noticing a few artifacts at stock speeds with my 5870 as well...even with the fan cranked to 50%.

At first it was only on white pass but now I am seeing it on a few other maps. I am going to apply some top notch thermal paste to the GPU but if it doesn't go away I was thinking about doing the same thing.
m
l
April 1, 2010 2:21:48 PM

SpinachEater said:
Dude, Jay. No way. I was running a 1440 res monitor and was doing just fine but I just recently bumped up to a 1920 res monitor and I am noticing a few artifacts at stock speeds with my 5870 as well...even with the fan cranked to 50%.

At first it was only on white pass but now I am seeing it on a few other maps. I am going to apply some top notch thermal paste to the GPU but if it doesn't go away I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Most of my artifacts where when I was on the side of a hill looking down in a valley. The background would flicker gray. I applied the below thermal paste, which was tested to be one of the best right beside Arctic Silver 5 (i don't like because it's thin). I applied this to my CPU as well. The CPU had Arctic Silver Ceramique applied a year ago. The CPU temp dropped 1-2C but I noticed NO change in GPU. Actually, when I removed the cooler I said to myself "wow this is really well applied paste". Which obviously it was since i saw no improvement with the new paste.
m
l
April 1, 2010 4:30:58 PM

Hmm...for the record. my 4890 runs fine at stock (1920x1200).

Could be overheating system; BC2 runs all 4 of my cores at 80% (REALLY well optimized), so its possible something is overheating in the OP's system.
m
l
April 1, 2010 4:55:33 PM

jay2tall said:
Most of my artifacts where when I was on the side of a hill looking down in a valley. The background would flicker gray. I applied the below thermal paste, which was tested to be one of the best right beside Arctic Silver 5 (i don't like because it's thin). I applied this to my CPU as well. The CPU had Arctic Silver Ceramique applied a year ago. The CPU temp dropped 1-2C but I noticed NO change in GPU. Actually, when I removed the cooler I said to myself "wow this is really well applied paste". Which obviously it was since i saw no improvement with the new paste.

Who made your 5870?
m
l
April 1, 2010 6:09:50 PM

It could be an issue with overclocking, i have known that right after the crash my( ccc ) GPU cklock changes from 930mhz to 850mhz .I'm going to lower the clocks and see if that healps. Also thinking about my freaqency 1920x1080@60hz or 59hz
m
l
April 1, 2010 6:17:54 PM

SpinachEater said:
Who made your 5870?

ASUS
m
l
April 1, 2010 6:23:08 PM

gamerk316 said:
...We talking SYSTEM reset here?

I'd recommend a memtest, just in case...then the other standard steps [Temps, defrag, re-install of game, etc].

Run memtest,prime95,temperatures, all seems ok. Probably defrag or reinstall should be next on my list,
m
l
April 2, 2010 3:07:44 PM

Jeez, turn AI off as a solution? That's funny because that disables crossfire. Having issues with crossfire? Try disabling it...that should fix ya up.
m
l
April 3, 2010 2:45:34 PM

Best answer selected by ortoklaz.
m
l
!