Cordless phone causing bad cell reception? stupid question

I think this may be a stupid question. But can a cordless phone based at a
window interfere with cell reception? I was just curious i know they are 2
different frequencies. I am trying everything for better reception. i been a
vzw customer since early 90 and never had a problem till i have been using
an all digital phone. drops calls in the house/office right by the window
and about a 2 mile area around that... I really like my 4500 but it just
can't hold a call.

brian

"Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I think this may be a stupid question. But can a cordless phone based at a
> window interfere with cell reception? I was just curious i know they are 2
> different frequencies. I am trying everything for better reception. i been
> vzw customer since early 90 and never had a problem till i have been using
> an all digital phone. drops calls in the house/office right by the window
> and about a 2 mile area around that... I really like my 4500 but it just
> can't hold a call.
>
> brian

Not usually the phone itself, but the BASE with a charger, or the
TRANSFORMER can screw things up. Wanna know for sure for free? Unplug it and
use the cell phone to make a call.

i should of thought of that before i posted, thanks.. My neighbor also has
a wireless 2.4 running 24/7 but i will try the base suggestion.

brian

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:50:10 -0400, "Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net>
wrote:

>i should of thought of that before i posted, thanks.. My neighbor also has
>a wireless 2.4 running 24/7 but i will try the base suggestion.

I've had a wireless router interfere with a 2.4Ghz phone, but I use my
VZW phone around both with no problems.

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:50:10 -0400, "Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> i should of thought of that before i posted, thanks.. My neighbor
>> also has a wireless 2.4 running 24/7 but i will try the base
>> suggestion.
>
> I've had a wireless router interfere with a 2.4Ghz phone, but I use my
> VZW phone around both with no problems.

That would be because you probably have a 802.11b wireless router
which operates in the 2.4Ghz band also. I never had any problems but
when I replaced my cordless recently I went with one that works in the
5.8Ghz band.

None of the above are close to the cellular bands. As somebody already
pointed out there is the possibility of short range (relatively)
interference
from a poorly shielded power supply.

-Quick

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:50:10 -0400, "Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >i should of thought of that before i posted, thanks.. My neighbor also
has
> >a wireless 2.4 running 24/7 but i will try the base suggestion.
>
> I've had a wireless router interfere with a 2.4Ghz phone, but I use my
> VZW phone around both with no problems.

It's usually NOT a problem with signal interference from any
phone/router/802.11x etc, but the TRANSFORMER for them, or any other
electrical items that have a transformer with an iron core and put out a
magnetic field. While phones etc are pretty well shielded from radio
interference, there are NO real standards for magnetic interference.

For those of you skeptical, ever wear a watch, try and use a cellphone, PDA,
or use many other electronic devices in the same room with an MRI machine
that is in use? When the MRI is off, they work fine, but watch out when it
gets turned on! Sound silly? Most MRI's are in trailers, one moved into a
parking lot near me, and all my stuff stopped working! I figured it out when
I was walking my dog thru the lot talking on my cellphone and all of a
sudden it when nuts.

Back to the topic though, it is very easy/cheap to unplug transformers and
see if that's the problem or not. Can't solve all problems, but it sure is
easy and cheap (free!) to try.

Try forcing the 4500 to use the lower frequency CDMA.:
(Note before you do this, remember the current setting.)
Menu -> 0 -> 000000 -> 3. Then select "Cell only".

"Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I think this may be a stupid question. But can a cordless phone based at a
> window interfere with cell reception? I was just curious i know they are 2
> different frequencies. I am trying everything for better reception. i been
> vzw customer since early 90 and never had a problem till i have been using
> an all digital phone. drops calls in the house/office right by the window
> and about a 2 mile area around that... I really like my 4500 but it just
> can't hold a call.
>
> brian

TRENDING THREADS