Help with Diagnosis, PLEASE!

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
Let's see if you guys can help me figure out what my problem is. After 9 months of problem free operation, my system started locking up. My mobo is an Abit IC7-G and I am running two 37.4gb raptors striped on the intel raid controller. What happens is the screen freezes and hard drive activity LED stays lit. Then a few minutes later, it will sometimes resume after the LED turns off. I have run Memtest on the system, and the memory tests fine. I have run the WD hard disk utility, and the drives test fine. One of the drives freezes for a while then resumes during the test, but it eventually completes and says it's fine. Would you guys agree that it is most likely the sata controller on the motherboard?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Could be, but are you sure it's not malicious software (Virus/Worm/spyware)? You fully anti-virused/firewalled etc?

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I'm running an IS7-G with 2*37gb Raptors on the Intel controller, but they're currently not striped. I haven't encountered this problem, but there is a slight (2-3secs) delay at the WinXp loading screen when booting, and regardless of setup I haven't been able to prevent it.

From everything out there I've seen and read this slight delay would appear to be the sata controller. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't somehow related to your problem, but unfortunately I don't have any other advice. Others in the forums here have recommended not striping your OS partition, if you have maybe there's something going on there.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know what's causing his problem, but I believe the delay you're experiencing is caused by Windows loading the driver for that controller.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>