Sign in with
Your question

WOW=bad? serious answers guys

Last response: in Video Games
April 2, 2010 2:28:12 PM

Ok so as stated in my previous post, im gonna buy WoW with all expansions in 17 days, for my birthday. now i wanna know, im only 13, will it affect my grades?
I'm the student that stresses when he hasn't done homework, and does homework on the first night, then stresses if it was a rushed job, so redoes it. I always get good marks, and i stress waaayy too much.

I'm obviously mature as i worry about these types of things.

Video games (ps3, 360 etc) dont get in the way, but as WoW is said to be Virtual Crack, i'm a little worried.

i need answers that are outside of my family and friends.

please guys help a fellow gamer.

Thanks
Swink.

More about : wow bad answers guys

April 2, 2010 2:53:09 PM

MMORPGs require more time than normal shooter or adventure games you can buy. WOW is a very casual MMO, but it is still an MMO. By casual, I mean that getting gear and leveling up will require less time and effort, but there are a few things to consider.

1. When you're playing an MMORPG, group content is the name of the game. Now in a group make up, you got different roles. Tank, Damage dealer, healer. Almost all MMOs are based on making groups that use 1 tank, 1 or 2 healers, and 3 or 4 damage dealers.

When you have limited play time, other priorities (school, work, ect), you got to consider this before you pick your class type, and when you plan to play.

If you want to be a tank, a group can not afford to stand around for 20, 30, 40 minutes getting a group together, going out, start getting into a dungeon, then you have to leave due to time restraint, now leaving the group without one of the key classes.

So if you want to be a tank or healer, you need to play only on weekends where you have ample time to log on and finish what you're doing before getting off.

If you want to play small bits through the week, i'd suggest a damage dealing type class, so that if your group loses you due to school work, they can either continue on, or easily find a replacement.

Back when I was a little older than you, in highschool, I started playing EQ1, and so did my best friend. I was good at the game, but I didn't get very good grades because i'd often avoid study sessions to camp mobs. My best friend was one of the best players on our server, a best of the best pvp tournament winner, geared out, whole nine yards, but he also dropped out of high school after failing his senior year due to playing EQ too much.

Honestly it's all about priorities, and WOW is a LOT more casual and easier of a game than EQ1 was, so you might be ok. But honestly, WOW is almost as old as you are. You might wanna try a more modern MMO, like WARHAMMER or Aion. It would also depend on your PC set up. If you got a strong PC, you'd probably have a lot of fun with Aion, but if you got a weak PC you'd probably do better with Warhammer.

April 2, 2010 3:01:52 PM

Thanks for the detailed response man. Thing is a have a Mac, WoW is my only real choice for a "real" PC game. I don't think I'll be putting it ahead of my schooling, but my issue is will it convert me. You get me? I don't know it's hard to describe. Like i play video games only when homework is done, but will this game make me play it wrecklessly? Does that make more sense?
Related resources
April 2, 2010 4:28:48 PM

This has nothing to do with the game, it's down to your maturity.

WoW CAN take up a lot of your time as detailed previously because a good deal of work is involved, but at the end of the day if you're mature and disciplined enough to say "right, I'm on this too much" and just turn it off you'll be fine.

WoW won't affect your grades, YOU will.
April 2, 2010 7:09:49 PM

LePhuronn said:
This has nothing to do with the game, it's down to your maturity.

WoW CAN take up a lot of your time as detailed previously because a good deal of work is involved, but at the end of the day if you're mature and disciplined enough to say "right, I'm on this too much" and just turn it off you'll be fine.

WoW won't affect your grades, YOU will.

^ This. Learn self-control, take everything in moderation, and you will be ok.
April 3, 2010 12:09:21 AM

Cheers guys. See you in th game I guess!
April 4, 2010 1:55:23 PM

Get a PC and play a good MMO if you want some honest advice lol. Summer is coming up. You can work part time and mow lawns and deliver papers or whatever, then you can get a good PC and play any real MMO. WoW is damn near 10 years old, with beyond basic gameplay and horrible graphics.

It's time to move on people. Mortal Online coming soon for adult MMOers, Soon Starwars new MMO, already out you got LotR online, Aion, Warhammer, plenty of WAY better choices than WoW.
April 4, 2010 5:59:32 PM

airborne11b said:
Get a PC and play a good MMO if you want some honest advice lol. Summer is coming up. You can work part time and mow lawns and deliver papers or whatever, then you can get a good PC and play any real MMO. WoW is damn near 10 years old, with beyond basic gameplay and horrible graphics.

It's time to move on people. Mortal Online coming soon for adult MMOers, Soon Starwars new MMO, already out you got LotR online, Aion, Warhammer, plenty of WAY better choices than WoW.

That's not the issue though, is it. Will playing any of these news MMOs (which, incidentally still all play the same so therefore they're all *** in my estimation, new or not) automatically prevent the OP from spending all his time on them?

The point is regardless of what you play, self-discipline is the key - what the OP chooses to play is irrelevant and entirely up to him.
April 4, 2010 8:10:32 PM

So ignorance is bliss? It is up to him but if no one informs him of whats out there, then he may never know what else is out. And you're completely wrong in saying that they all play the same. Some are simular in nature, but saying that all MMOs are the same is like saying "All FPS's are the same! Doom is no different than Crysis! All you do is point crosshairs at badguys and kill them".

Many MMOs are far more advanced in how they play than others. Take for example Vanguard:SOH. Yes you kill monsters and level up, but the crafting system in the game is skill based much like killing monsters are. It also offers Free controling flying mounts and boats to travel the world. In fact Vanguard was the 1st game to incorporate reactive and chain combat skills, IE attacks only available to use after you used a feeder skill, land a critical hit, or parry/block/dodge attacks. Making the combat system much more entertaining

Warhammer you level up almost entirely from doing PVP scenarios. The gameplay is based around finding players on the other team and killing them, fort seiges, and pvp scenarios. Instead of WoW which is based primarily around PVE.

Aion intigrates 3 dimentional combat by adding in airial pvp as well as ground pvp. Contested Fort Seiges like in Warhammer, and some PVE/Raid instances and dungeons much like in other MMOs. Not to mention the most advanced graphic MMO out to date.

Saying all MMOs are the same is as ignorant as saying that All video games are the same. I mean what's the difference between Fifa 2010 and GTA IV? I think their all the same.....

Please, try not to act stupid. Forums are a place to learn about new things and share experiences. I hope that Swink loses his tunnel vision and expands his horrizons on better products out there, instead of being a drone follower playing a dated, old, simplistic game like WoW.

April 4, 2010 8:42:45 PM

OK, fine. I'm an idiot, acting stupid and have my own tunnel-vision about MMOs. Happy?

I'm all for expanding horizons and sharing experiences, but sometimes you just gotta keep on topic, because frankly if I see one more discussion get sidetracked I'm gonna pop.

Just as this one's doing.

So, if the OP can somehow get the money together for a PC purely for playing computer games that has the graphical power to run the new MMOs coming out without sacrificing his studies on working all the time then yes, let's discuss other options.

Until then, his options are limited to WoW on a Mac, but the game was really only secondary to the question let's be honest.

Oh, and I don't care how much you wrap a game up with different game objectives, features, graphics and gimmicks, until you break away from clicking a command button and waiting for the computer to take your turn to pop somebody, all MMOs are the same. PLEASE point me to one where I can take direct control of my character and break my perception of this genre.

And yes, I don't care if Crysis gives you a power suit to be invisible or lob a car at somebody's head, you still point a crosshair at a bad guy and fire - Crysis IS the same as Doom mechanically. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
April 4, 2010 11:47:03 PM

Haha! Too easy.....

Mortal Online (Coming soon), Chronicals of Spellborne (released) and Darkfall. All of these do not use a hotkey to do specific attacks, and they play out more like Oblivian, or a FPS. You aim a spell at your enemy, click, fireball goes out, and if the other player side-strides and dodges it, he takes no damage. Melee attacking works sort of like Jedi-knight, where you select your weapon, and you move+click attack key to swing and you only do damage if your weapon lands physically on the body. They're still MMOs, with consistant worlds, gear, exp, skills/levels, hp/mp, ect. But the combat plays more like a FPS.

So there you have it, 3 examples that might have just blown your mind. Not every MMO is based on the same style of combat. And I stick to what I said before, saying all games are the same is retarded. Games will always be catagorised into catigories, but that doesn't mean they are the same.

Doom and Crysis are both first person shooters, but thats where the simularities end. Just like WoW and Aion. They are both MMORPGs, but their engines, graphics, combat mechanics, and game goals are both totally different. To say that playing one is just as good as playing the other, is once again retarded.

By your standards, no one should bother buying a modern PC, or a Xbox 360 or a Wii, we should all be content with playing Pac-man and Mario bro's.

MMORPGs have come a long way since the days of LoK, UO, EQ1. WoW is almost as old as EQ1 (WoW is 2 years older than EQ1, if i'm not mistaken.) Gameplay in MMOs has changed drastically over the past 10 years, and I think it's sad that so many people are stuck playing something so ancient when there is so much better out there.

April 5, 2010 12:32:02 AM

3 examples? Excellent - I'll go have a look. Maybe I can convince my brother and housemate that there's more to life than click an icon, wait for the computer to do it.
April 5, 2010 12:42:22 AM

...and this is exactly why I typically avoid MMO's. Actually, this is also exactly why I'm a fan of RTS games, too... they're something different than either "Click and Wait" or "Point and Shoot" combat in your average game. Take World in Conflict and the Age of Empires series for example - two RTS's with very different gameplay but a same overall feel that can keep you entertained for hours on end.
Now if only more MMO programmers could diversify their games to the point that one and the next don't look exactly the same, I might consider getting back into that gaming market. Until then, though, I'll stick with smashing two armies together for no absolute reason... :) 
April 5, 2010 1:33:27 PM

Well I think everyone has a preference when it comes to gameplay, which is fine. But personally I don't understand what you mean eactly by "Click and wait". Aion uses a hotkey button combat system to perform various attacks, but I find that with the combat system in the game that it's anything BUT "Click and wait". I have combo chains bound to 1, 2, 3, 4 and ALT+1, ALT+2, ALT+3 and ALT+4. I also have reactive attacks (Attacks only after parry/block) bound to Q and E.

So in a typical fight, I'm running all over the place, spamming attacks every .50 seconds, slamming E and Q to react to incoming attacks. On top of that, you gain atk/evasion/def bonuses depending on which direction you're moving your character. Honestly the gameplay in Aion feels a lot more fast paced than a lot of FPS to me.

Which is why I say that no two games are the same. Even though Aion uses the hotkey-skill to do specific ability type combat system, same as WoW and other MMOs, the action is a lot more fast paced because they made the combat fast.

If you "Click and Wait" in aion pvp you'd be dead in seconds every time lol. Ah well, not everyone can be as quick as everyone else.

But yes, there are FPS/MMORPG hybids already out, and more coming out, if you prefer that style of combat. Honestly I think Aion's combat is probably more fast paced than anything Mortal or Darkfall offers, but to each his own.

But @someguynamedmatt, You most likely avoid MMOs because you've seen WoW and think that is what an MMO is, and I'll tell you what, there are 20+ MMOs that are 100x better than WoW, and I find that it's really sad that most people equate MMO=WoW. I've yet to find a RTS that offers the depth and hours of endless entertainment that Aion and Vanguard:SOH offered me.

I guess you put it best with "2 armies smashing together for no reason" lol..... boooring. Also, if you're a fan of stratigy, I believe Darkfall offers a sort of City seiging with mass amounts of players. And defending/attacking is RTSish. But you play a character and personally participate in the battle. So sort of like a RTS/RPG if you will. Maybe more up your ally.
April 6, 2010 12:31:44 AM

Swink said:
Ok so as stated in my previous post, im gonna buy WoW with all expansions in 17 days, for my birthday. now i wanna know, im only 13, will it affect my grades?
I'm the student that stresses when he hasn't done homework, and does homework on the first night, then stresses if it was a rushed job, so redoes it. I always get good marks, and i stress waaayy too much.

I'm obviously mature as i worry about these types of things.

Video games (ps3, 360 etc) dont get in the way, but as WoW is said to be Virtual Crack, i'm a little worried.

i need answers that are outside of my family and friends.

please guys help a fellow gamer.

Thanks
Swink.

It depends on you, and to be honest you wont know the answers to any of those questions until you play it. Having played WoW myself for about a year, i personally would recommend not playing it. I wasn't that bad, but pretty much if i had no planned engagement, I was playing WoW, I was in my last year of college and only had one class and was in the Army National Guard (Out in 2007 woo hoo, that was a long 6 years), so I didnt really need a job with my GI bill tacked on that. If I had a full class load, a part time job, either i would have had to stop playing the game, or I would have slacked on real world obligations. Theres just something about that game that drives you to keep playing all the time. I couldnt really play it just a couple of hours a day, its hard to accomplish anything really. Running the big instances can require up to 5-6 hours in a single sit down.

So In my personal advice, you cant miss what you never had. No other games other than WoW have ever had that type of effect on me, i would play games at my own pace and leave it at that, the real time nature of an MMO like wow lends itself to overplaying.

I at least commend you on not speaking like most gamers under the age of 18. When I saw "13" I was fully expecting the next "sentence" to be full of script kiddie text message speak.
April 7, 2010 3:51:47 PM

Swink said:

Yep.

The game is too addictive, I have a full time job and a family and am only just getting out of the habit of playing that game!

I would wait until your holidays (summer / xmas) and get it. It will allow you to play the game how it is intended, to stop you seeing sunlight and really experience it! School will just get in the way of it, hehe.

Quote:
In Game Message
Remember, treat all things in moderation, even World of Warcraft
!