Best board for P4 2.8c or 2.8 e and above

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Hello forum,
I purchased an abit Is7 and have had all kinds of trouble with it.
The computer shop i go to told me for the P4c and P4e that
would be a Asus or Gigabyte could someone please give me some advice as to which brand to go with when using a P4 with hyper threading?
Also if u have any other advice on another brand please
let me know.
Many thanks

Lance

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The fastest board is the MSI 865PE NEO FIS2R. If you go that route make sure you get the 865 version and not the 875 version. You may have just got a lemon IS7 because everyone here seems to like them. I would RMA that board before I spent another dime.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Thanks
cybercraig
I plan to RMA the board i hope they can take care of it.
My Hp with a revised Asus board that came in it gets just about the same AquaMark3 score,it was a NFORCE2 board it had an HP bios and no soundstorm audio with an Amd 2800+
with 512 mb pc 2700 generic,Ati 9600 pro.
This system has a P4 2.8c,OCZ golden ram 3200,9600 pro
i guess im just disapointed that the system i built is no faster than the pre assembled Hp that i paid 799.00 for.

Lance

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You'll have to clock it up a bit then. The IS7 should be good for a 250mhz FSB. Run your benchmarks then!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""I purchased an abit <b>Is7</b> and have had all kinds of trouble with it.""

hehehehehehehe, Crush, where are you?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

pat

Expert
there is no real difference in real life between a 2800+ and P4 2.8. Only in benchmark you can see a difference or when doing compression stuff. you just changed four quarters for 1 buck, imho. There is so many factor that can influence the performance of a PC in real life use that people that buy only with benchmark number as their reference are often disapointed. In game, the video card is the limiting factor as the 2800+ is fast enough for games. HDD performance affect global performance too. I would sell all the parts you bought for the P4 and buy a top of the line video card...then you will see improved performance, especially in game!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I dont see how putting in a new video card is going to make my sound work?
That is one of the issues i cant seam to get any help for
even from the Abit forum.
I dont want top of the line i just want everything that
is spose to work work and i didnt trade anything i still have my Amd Athlon xp system :)
Lance<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lance on 04/22/04 11:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Sell the P4 system. It really is not worth the big bucks. Get an abit NF7-S board,with soundstorm, and a real bios, and put a Radeon 9800pro 128 on it. This will make the P4c look like crap in games.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get the EPoX 875P board and be VERY HAPPY as I am. EVERYTHING is working (even the sound), and while it costs ONLY 130 bux, it is THE and ONLY 875P, and not el cheepo 865PE.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"" This will make the P4c look like crap ""

yo, you sound like a mucho boy on the block, tiny winy but fool of ...
Put that Radeon into P4 system and you will see that AMD is a crap in games as well. It is not just the chip, but what you equip it with.

PS: there is a life after Abit too..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, IS7 has similar performance to all the other high end P4 boards with either 865PE or 875P chipsets. They're all within a small margin of each other. The parts it uses aren't known to have any peculiar driver issues either. My guess is his system is misconfigured, I'd like to see what other parts he's using, and I'd like to know if he's installed all the drivers properly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I thought the same thing Crashman that is why i paid 75 dollars lobor charges to have it checked out at one of the local computer shop.
I have alos read about some audio problemms @ the Abit forum and in the reviews @ newegg.com.
Other parts.
120 gb Seagate hd
512 mb Ocz golden ram pc 3200
128 mb Ati 9600 pro
Thermaltake Xazer III case included Psu 420W Thermaltake silent power.

Lance

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The ONE and the ONLY - Crashman, THE GURU of THG Forum. He will crush your biased opinion by his mighty own experience in no time.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You did not mention THG forum as well (I think there are few people here know stuff too).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, looks like a reasonable combination of parts, now what seems to be the exact problem you're experiencing? Hardwareboss is extremely familiar with your board and he's likely to help as well if needed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
If he had a working P4 system, I would not recommend getting the Amd, but would suggest getting the Radeon.
Most people throw huge chunks of money at cpu, mobo to get better gaming, but cheep out on video. That was his mistake. Yours is that you are just stupid.

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Thanks Crashman,
It appears as if the audio jacks are miscolored,i have tried several combinations i went to realtek and downloaded
there latest drivers and now i have some sound at full blast with a set of 4 in 1 creative speakers i can barely hear anything,so i tried my headphones and u can hear very little audio mostly hissing.
The board will not run in turbo mode at all just boots to
a blank screen and i have to power down the pc by holding in the power button.

Lance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hardwareboss can answer your sound question.

As for "turbo" mode, it's probably pushing your memory too far. These chipsets are actually quite hard on memory, both the 865P and 875PE.

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Thanks Crashman.
This is the memory im using
Manufacturer: OCZ
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Special Features: Ultra Low Noise shielded PCB
Warranty: Lifetime
Some help with audio please hardwareboss?

Lance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could try raising vDIMM to 2.8v and see if that allows your board to use "turbo" mode.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""Yours is that you are just stupid.""

ok, I'll try not to make it any more, hehehe

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Hello endyen.
I know i don"t have a top of the line card but i'm pretty sure ill be able to run any games that come out in the
year with my Ati Radeon 128mb 9600 Pro
This was my first board so yes i made some mistakes and learn from them,not everyone is a expert:)
I do also have a Amd system it has an Hp revised Asus nforce2 board,Athlon Xp 2800+ 512 mb pc2700,Hp model a320n.

Lance

endyen

Splendid
I to have a Radeon 9600 pro. It is a nice video card. It cost as much as my mobo and chip. It does more for gaming than my mobo and chip. If you are building a gaming rig, I think you should spend as much on graphics card, as you do on mobo and chip. Had you spent the money you did on your new stuff, buying a new video card, it would have been a waste, but had you got a Radeon 9800pro, you would now be a very happy gamer, and saved yourself a chunk of change to boot. Instead, you now have a computer that will encode 400 meg songs several seconds faster than your old system. Ofcourse, if you ever get your P4 running right, putting a Radeon 9800pro would give you 10% more fps than your old system would have, with the same card. And all for only how much money?

customvinnie

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
I bought the IC7 and had nothing but problems as well.
I got the P4C800-E Deluxe at least it works but it still locks up once in a while. Still trying to work out the details.

4800se score - <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6439840" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6439840</A>