Guess, I will reload D2 soon

Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
start over....

--
Dysentery_Bob

Reality is a strange and curious thing.
Most see it as something singular and solitary.
I know it is infinite.
_____________________________________

"All Fled, all done, so lift me on the pyre;
The feast is over and the lamps expire."

Robert E. Howard 06-11-36

Dysentery Bob wrote:
> Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
> start over....

Start on USWest, taht's where we all hang out. Your mission, should you
choose to accept it, it to find Skee and get him back in. Then we can
have some REAL fun killing each other, as Zilth is still around also :)

Mickey

> Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it
and
> start over....
>

> --
> Dysentery_Bob

Hi Bob, good to see you back. Now if we can just get Skee back and
start the Bob and Skee wars all over again. And maybe the barrel
wars too? :) And how could I forget the tales of the police force that
are always so amusing.

wizofwas

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:46:46 -0400, "Dysentery Bob" <kgmurray@csam.net>
wrote:

>Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
>start over....

Good to see you back. If you haven't played dince 1.09, it's quite a
different game now. Most of the old builds no longer work.

-- Roy L

royls@telus.net wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:05 +1200, Stephen van Ham
> <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over
> >an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

> >>Good to see you back. If you haven't played dince 1.09, it's quite a
> >>different game now. Most of the old builds no longer work.
> >
> >Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?
>
> Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
> zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
> Shifting druids, the list goes on.
>
> Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
> words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
> players can make them without cheating.

Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
her primary weapon.

Mickey

royls@telus.net wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2005 07:13:58 -0700, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >royls@telus.net wrote:

> >> Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
> >> zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
> >> Shifting druids, the list goes on.
> >>
> >> Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
> >> words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
> >> players can make them without cheating.
> >
> >Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
> >her primary weapon.
>
> It's a different game when you don't have the items to get
> double-digit +all skills.

She didn't, when I started her.

Mickey

royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over
an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:46:46 -0400, "Dysentery Bob" <kgmurray@csam.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
>>start over....
>
>Good to see you back. If you haven't played dince 1.09, it's quite a
>different game now. Most of the old builds no longer work.

Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?

The reason I ask is that most of my 1.09 characters in 1.09 gear are still
capable of soloing act 5 hell, which always make me scratch my head when
people say things like this.

--
Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

<royls@telus.net> wrote in message
> Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
> zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
> Shifting druids, the list goes on.
>
> Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
> words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
> players can make them without cheating.

Funny, my zealot kicks ass in PvM and does reasonably well in PvP to boot,
and to the best of my knowledge, has but one single runeword on his person,
a Duress armor, which is not exactly "costly"(and prior to the release of
Duress, he did just fine with a Lionheart, which is even LESS costly). Plus,
roughly the same gear would work just fine with a Fury wolf druid as well.
Yes, you'll need "elite" level weapons to do well in Hell, but there's
enough reasonably common(for anyone who does any real MFing)/cheap "end
game" level weapons(Nord's Tenderizer, Frostwind, Horizon's Tornado, and the
old standby Baranar's Star, to to mention nice uppables like Coldsteel Eye
or Bucher's Pupil) and runewords(Duress and Crescent Moon are both GREAT
melee runewords, and neither requires higher than an Um, and if even that is
too much, Lionheart and Passion are even cheaper but still decent) that both
zealots and shifters can do just fine without decking themselves out in
CoH's and BotD's and keeping a CtA on switch. Not tried any of the others in
1.10(unless you include kickers under martial arts assassins, in which case
they too can work just fine without uber runewords) but I would not be too
surprised if they worked fine without the mega runewords as well.

royls@telus.net writes:
>On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:05 +1200, Stephen van Ham
><svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?
> Martial Arts sins

Well, I played a martial artitst as first character in 1.10, and she
worked nicely up to Hell. In Hell I adopted a more passive playstyle,
leaving much of the killing to the shadow master and the mercenary. I
also invested in Death Sentry, so she became more of a hybrid.

She did not pass the Hell ancients, but I don't expect that she would
have done so in 1.09 (none of my melee characters did).

- anton
--
Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm

royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over
an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
>zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
>Shifting druids, the list goes on.

This is a very upsidedown list, as this is pretty much a list of 1.09 builds
that I and others found to still *work* when transfered from 1.09 to 1.10
(other than the hydra sorc, which I agree would have some trouble if moved
from 1.09 to 1.10, as hydra requires a substantial synergy investment later).

As I recall, tcells was one that hadn't played the 1.10 betas (which were a
lot harder than 1.10 final, in terms of monster life, etc), and when
confronted with 1.10 final, asked "Is this it? Is this what you played in
the beta?", because he too found that most of his builds still worked.

--

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>I found that my "firing squad" necro really struggled in 1.10. I mean, he
>was no killing machine in 1.09 but 1.10 basically killed him.

Is that a "firing squad necro" in the way that Jabber uses the term?

Certainly, there are some 1.09 builds that looked pretty poor when ported to
1.10, but I think saying "most" was a weeeeeee bit of an exaggeration on Roy's
part.

I have a few characters from 1.09 that I ditched when 1.10, but quite frankly,
they were kooky builds that weren't exactly at the top of the heap to begin
with. :) By and large, though, I can pick one of my 1.09 accounts at
random, grab a character, and start playing in 1.10.

--
Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>Stephen van Ham wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell
>> down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash
>> at Baal...
>>
>>> I found that my "firing squad" necro really struggled in 1.10. I
>>> mean, he was no killing machine in 1.09 but 1.10 basically killed
>>> him.
>>
>> Is that a "firing squad necro" in the way that Jabber uses the term?
>
>I'm not sure. I tried a skellimancer in 1.09 and the damn skellys died all
>the time and did about 0.3 damage. I deleted him and made a magemancer
>instead and that worked lots better. However in 1.10 it takes all day for
>the mages to kill anything and I no longer have 30-odd of them.
>
>> Certainly, there are some 1.09 builds that looked pretty poor when
>> ported to
>> 1.10, but I think saying "most" was a weeeeeee bit of an exaggeration
>> on Roy's part.
>>
>> I have a few characters from 1.09 that I ditched when 1.10, but quite
>> frankly, they were kooky builds that weren't exactly at the top of
>> the heap to begin with. :) By and large, though, I can pick one
>> of my 1.09 accounts at random, grab a character, and start playing in
>> 1.10.
>
>Ok. I can play most of mine in hell too but they're nowhere near as good as
>the ones made for 1.10.

Sure, but they still "work" though, right? :)

One the main hurdles I guess a lot of people found going from 1.09 to 1.10 was
the increased need for elemental resistances right from the start of hell, and
seemed to lead to an overreaction (talking generally, not refering to you or
Roy here) by people, as they'd say suddenly characters were "nerfed", where in
fact simply adaptation of existing gear was sometimes required. Same for
builds that relied on the higher cap on physical damage reduction items, and
so on.

Synergies of course were new, but as it stands now, many skills that have
synergies are quite frankly way overpowered if you max them. It stands to
reason therefore that without the synergies, you might have a character that
does half the damage the synergised version (for example, moreso for elemental
skills than physical damage ones, though). Half of overpowered = build that
still works. Heck, in some cases, one third of overpowered still = build
that works.

Bob will at this point be thinking, "hey dudes, I just stopped by to say
Hello!"

--
Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

On 7 Sep 2005 07:13:58 -0700, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

>royls@telus.net wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:05 +1200, Stephen van Ham
>> <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> >Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?
>>
>> Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
>> zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
>> Shifting druids, the list goes on.
>>
>> Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
>> words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
>> players can make them without cheating.
>
>Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
>her primary weapon.

It's a different game when you don't have the items to get
double-digit +all skills.

-- Roy L

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:15:44 +1200, Stephen van Ham
<svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Synergies of course were new, but as it stands now, many skills that have
>synergies are quite frankly way overpowered if you max them.

BH is one such, of course; but for other skills, the need for two
fully developed attack systems in Hell makes most unsynergized builds
pretty hard to play, especially if you want to have any hope of
questing solo there.

>It stands to
>reason therefore that without the synergies, you might have a character that
>does half the damage the synergised version (for example, moreso for elemental
>skills than physical damage ones, though). Half of overpowered = build that
>still works.

?? Which synergized barb combat skills are overpowered? Amazon bow
skills? Druid shape shifting skills? Assassin MA skills?

>Heck, in some cases, one third of overpowered still = build
>that works.

Most viable 1.09 builds maxed skills that do not synergize in
1.10/1.11, with the result that they are now underpowered. Yes, in
most cases you can shift the build somewhat to synergize and get a
viable char using similar attack systems; but unless you have godly
gear, you do need the synergies to solo in Hell, so most of the
non-synergizing 1.09 builds no longer work.

> but unless you have godly gear,

Is Lionheart godly? How bout Baranars Star? Thundergod's Vigor? Tal's Mask?
Buriza?

> you do need the synergies to solo in Hell, so most of the
> non-synergizing 1.09 builds no longer work.

I said it once already, a zealot can solo hell without godly gear.

royls@telus.net held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
431e7be7.6212713@news1.qc.sympatico.ca to this Interweb chatroom:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:05 +1200, Stephen van Ham
> <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
>> tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>>> Good to see you back. If you haven't played dince 1.09, it's quite
>>> a different game now. Most of the old builds no longer work.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?
>
> Nova sorc (except with Insight merc),
Never tried a pure Nova sorc, but those who have assure me they are a blast.
And viable.

> Hydra sorc,
Dunno. Short tried one I think, but he's short...

> Revive necro,
Balls. Totally doable, if you can GET to level 30. And fun too, if you
revive vampires and fire off Lower Resist.

> zealot,
Buh????? They're only, like, the second best build for the Uber trio, and
capable of soloing anywhere there are no Okies. With the right second
skill/item on switch, they can do that too.

> strafeazon,
Possibly the best build to Pit run with, that isn't a sorc.

> Berserker,
Now you've done it. I guess my next 4 builds are planned now.

> Frenzy barb,
I can attest to sword barbs not being very good, and axe barbs rule. Ask me
in about a week if mace barbs are viable.

> Martial Arts sins,
Made a couple...phoenix strike is VERY viable, if built right. Tiger
Strike/Dragon Tail is also doable, with nothing better than Gore Riders and
some decent damage claws.

>Shape Shifting druids, the list goes on.
Wolves are doable with mid-range stuff like Windhammer, Bonehew, Tomb
Reaver, Obedience, Buriza...

> Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
> words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
> players can make them without cheating.

Really? Oh, let's not go down that road...

wrote:

>Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
>start over....

I think I'm about to faint, Can it be another original comes out of
the woodwork? OMG I'm having Justus flashbacks!!!

royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over
an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>>It stands to
>>reason therefore that without the synergies, you might have a character that
>>does half the damage the synergised version (for example, moreso for elemental
>>skills than physical damage ones, though). Half of overpowered = build that
>>still works.

>?? Which synergized barb combat skills are overpowered? Amazon bow
>skills? Druid shape shifting skills? Assassin MA skills?

Which part of "moreso for elemental skills than physical ones" confused you?
This is also EXACTLY the reason why most of the 1.09 builds you listed before
STILL work - the difference between a synergised and non-synergised build is
significantly LESS than for the elemental skills.

>>Heck, in some cases, one third of overpowered still = build
>>that works.

>Most viable 1.09 builds maxed skills that do not synergize in
>1.10/1.11, with the result that they are now underpowered.

"Underpowered" in the sense that many of our old 1.09 builds can still solo
act 5 hell pretty easily? (and not just with uber gear - I didn't trade AT
ALL in 1.09/early 1.10)

--

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>> >Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
>> >her primary weapon.
>
>> It's a different game when you don't have the items to get
>> double-digit +all skills.

>She didn't, when I started her.

I'll say. I ran two Nova girls last season (quite different builds -
enchant/nova and a rocket) and was considering making an orb/nova or
fireball/nova girl my starter sorceress this season (I went with a weather
chick instead, just because I have even more of soft spot for that combo
(partly synergised fireball/meteor/blizzard)

Nova - not bad for a skill that doesn't even have a synergy. :)

--

"Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

><royls@telus.net> wrote in message
>> but unless you have godly gear,

>Is Lionheart godly? How bout Baranars Star? Thundergod's Vigor? Tal's Mask?
>Buriza?

I suppose one thing to consider is that Roy plays solely hardcore (I think),
and maybe doesn't MF/trade/get gear from MFing friends, so his definition of
"godly" gear might be different from yurs, just as my definition of godly gear
is different from heavy traders/heavy MFers/those playing non-ladder with
legacy gear.

Lionheart is a very underrated runeword. :)

>> you do need the synergies to solo in Hell, so most of the
>> non-synergizing 1.09 builds no longer work.
>
>I said it once already, a zealot can solo hell without godly gear.

Here's another one... is a goldstrike arch (NOT upgraded) considered godly
gear? Because I have 1.09 bowazons that can solo act 5 hell with one. What
about a cruel matriarchal bow? Same thing. Buriza? All 1.09 gear on 1.09
characters, no 1.10 runewords or other perks required.

--

"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Here's another one... is a goldstrike arch (NOT upgraded) considered godly
> gear? Because I have 1.09 bowazons that can solo act 5 hell with one.
What
> about a cruel matriarchal bow? Same thing. Buriza? All 1.09 gear on
1.09
> characters, no 1.10 runewords or other perks required.

Precisely. Both my ranger and my zealot were completely capable of soloing
hell when I brought them up from 09, before I ever gave them any new 1.10
gear.

> --
> Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
> CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

On 7 Sep 2005 07:13:58 -0700, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

>Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
>her primary weapon.
>
>Mickey

Hey Mickey!

Do you have your Rocket Sorc built on US West Ladder SC?

I'd love to see this build in action.

- Samiel