Guess, I will reload D2 soon

Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
start over....

--
Dysentery_Bob

Reality is a strange and curious thing.
Most see it as something singular and solitary.
I know it is infinite.
_____________________________________

"All Fled, all done, so lift me on the pyre;
The feast is over and the lamps expire."

Robert E. Howard 06-11-36
22 answers Last reply
More about guess reload soon

    Dysentery Bob wrote:
    > Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
    > start over....

    Start on USWest, taht's where we all hang out. Your mission, should you
    choose to accept it, it to find Skee and get him back in. Then we can
    have some REAL fun killing each other, as Zilth is still around also :)

    Mickey

    > Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it
    and
    > start over....
    >

    > --
    > Dysentery_Bob

    Hi Bob, good to see you back. Now if we can just get Skee back and
    start the Bob and Skee wars all over again. And maybe the barrel
    wars too? :) And how could I forget the tales of the police force that
    are always so amusing.

    wizofwas

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:46:46 -0400, "Dysentery Bob" <kgmurray@csam.net>
    wrote:

    >Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
    >start over....

    Good to see you back. If you haven't played dince 1.09, it's quite a
    different game now. Most of the old builds no longer work.

    -- Roy L

    royls@telus.net wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:05 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    > <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over
    > >an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    > >>Good to see you back. If you haven't played dince 1.09, it's quite a
    > >>different game now. Most of the old builds no longer work.
    > >
    > >Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?
    >
    > Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
    > zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
    > Shifting druids, the list goes on.
    >
    > Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
    > words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
    > players can make them without cheating.

    Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
    her primary weapon.

    Mickey

    royls@telus.net wrote:
    > On 7 Sep 2005 07:13:58 -0700, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >royls@telus.net wrote:

    > >> Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
    > >> zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
    > >> Shifting druids, the list goes on.
    > >>
    > >> Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
    > >> words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
    > >> players can make them without cheating.
    > >
    > >Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
    > >her primary weapon.
    >
    > It's a different game when you don't have the items to get
    > double-digit +all skills.

    She didn't, when I started her.

    Mickey

    royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over
    an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:46:46 -0400, "Dysentery Bob" <kgmurray@csam.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
    >>start over....
    >
    >Good to see you back. If you haven't played dince 1.09, it's quite a
    >different game now. Most of the old builds no longer work.

    Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?

    The reason I ask is that most of my 1.09 characters in 1.09 gear are still
    capable of soloing act 5 hell, which always make me scratch my head when
    people say things like this.

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

    <royls@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
    > zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
    > Shifting druids, the list goes on.
    >
    > Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
    > words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
    > players can make them without cheating.

    Funny, my zealot kicks ass in PvM and does reasonably well in PvP to boot,
    and to the best of my knowledge, has but one single runeword on his person,
    a Duress armor, which is not exactly "costly"(and prior to the release of
    Duress, he did just fine with a Lionheart, which is even LESS costly). Plus,
    roughly the same gear would work just fine with a Fury wolf druid as well.
    Yes, you'll need "elite" level weapons to do well in Hell, but there's
    enough reasonably common(for anyone who does any real MFing)/cheap "end
    game" level weapons(Nord's Tenderizer, Frostwind, Horizon's Tornado, and the
    old standby Baranar's Star, to to mention nice uppables like Coldsteel Eye
    or Bucher's Pupil) and runewords(Duress and Crescent Moon are both GREAT
    melee runewords, and neither requires higher than an Um, and if even that is
    too much, Lionheart and Passion are even cheaper but still decent) that both
    zealots and shifters can do just fine without decking themselves out in
    CoH's and BotD's and keeping a CtA on switch. Not tried any of the others in
    1.10(unless you include kickers under martial arts assassins, in which case
    they too can work just fine without uber runewords) but I would not be too
    surprised if they worked fine without the mega runewords as well.

    royls@telus.net writes:
    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:05 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    ><svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >>Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?
    > Martial Arts sins

    Well, I played a martial artitst as first character in 1.10, and she
    worked nicely up to Hell. In Hell I adopted a more passive playstyle,
    leaving much of the killing to the shadow master and the mercenary. I
    also invested in Death Sentry, so she became more of a hybrid.

    She did not pass the Hell ancients, but I don't expect that she would
    have done so in 1.09 (none of my melee characters did).

    - anton
    --
    Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm

    royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over
    an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
    >zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
    >Shifting druids, the list goes on.

    This is a very upsidedown list, as this is pretty much a list of 1.09 builds
    that I and others found to still *work* when transfered from 1.09 to 1.10
    (other than the hydra sorc, which I agree would have some trouble if moved
    from 1.09 to 1.10, as hydra requires a substantial synergy investment later).

    As I recall, tcells was one that hadn't played the 1.10 betas (which were a
    lot harder than 1.10 final, in terms of monster life, etc), and when
    confronted with 1.10 final, asked "Is this it? Is this what you played in
    the beta?", because he too found that most of his builds still worked.

    --

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >I found that my "firing squad" necro really struggled in 1.10. I mean, he
    >was no killing machine in 1.09 but 1.10 basically killed him.

    Is that a "firing squad necro" in the way that Jabber uses the term?

    Certainly, there are some 1.09 builds that looked pretty poor when ported to
    1.10, but I think saying "most" was a weeeeeee bit of an exaggeration on Roy's
    part.

    I have a few characters from 1.09 that I ditched when 1.10, but quite frankly,
    they were kooky builds that weren't exactly at the top of the heap to begin
    with. :-) By and large, though, I can pick one of my 1.09 accounts at
    random, grab a character, and start playing in 1.10.

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Stephen van Ham wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell
    >> down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash
    >> at Baal...
    >>
    >>> I found that my "firing squad" necro really struggled in 1.10. I
    >>> mean, he was no killing machine in 1.09 but 1.10 basically killed
    >>> him.
    >>
    >> Is that a "firing squad necro" in the way that Jabber uses the term?
    >
    >I'm not sure. I tried a skellimancer in 1.09 and the damn skellys died all
    >the time and did about 0.3 damage. I deleted him and made a magemancer
    >instead and that worked lots better. However in 1.10 it takes all day for
    >the mages to kill anything and I no longer have 30-odd of them.
    >
    >> Certainly, there are some 1.09 builds that looked pretty poor when
    >> ported to
    >> 1.10, but I think saying "most" was a weeeeeee bit of an exaggeration
    >> on Roy's part.
    >>
    >> I have a few characters from 1.09 that I ditched when 1.10, but quite
    >> frankly, they were kooky builds that weren't exactly at the top of
    >> the heap to begin with. :-) By and large, though, I can pick one
    >> of my 1.09 accounts at random, grab a character, and start playing in
    >> 1.10.
    >
    >Ok. I can play most of mine in hell too but they're nowhere near as good as
    >the ones made for 1.10.

    Sure, but they still "work" though, right? :-)

    One the main hurdles I guess a lot of people found going from 1.09 to 1.10 was
    the increased need for elemental resistances right from the start of hell, and
    seemed to lead to an overreaction (talking generally, not refering to you or
    Roy here) by people, as they'd say suddenly characters were "nerfed", where in
    fact simply adaptation of existing gear was sometimes required. Same for
    builds that relied on the higher cap on physical damage reduction items, and
    so on.

    Synergies of course were new, but as it stands now, many skills that have
    synergies are quite frankly way overpowered if you max them. It stands to
    reason therefore that without the synergies, you might have a character that
    does half the damage the synergised version (for example, moreso for elemental
    skills than physical damage ones, though). Half of overpowered = build that
    still works. Heck, in some cases, one third of overpowered still = build
    that works.

    Bob will at this point be thinking, "hey dudes, I just stopped by to say
    Hello!"

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

    On 7 Sep 2005 07:13:58 -0700, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

    >royls@telus.net wrote:
    >> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:05 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    >> <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?
    >>
    >> Nova sorc (except with Insight merc), Hydra sorc, Revive necro,
    >> zealot, strafeazon, Berserker, Frenzy barb, Martial Arts sins, Shape
    >> Shifting druids, the list goes on.
    >>
    >> Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
    >> words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
    >> players can make them without cheating.
    >
    >Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
    >her primary weapon.

    It's a different game when you don't have the items to get
    double-digit +all skills.

    -- Roy L

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:15:44 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >Synergies of course were new, but as it stands now, many skills that have
    >synergies are quite frankly way overpowered if you max them.

    BH is one such, of course; but for other skills, the need for two
    fully developed attack systems in Hell makes most unsynergized builds
    pretty hard to play, especially if you want to have any hope of
    questing solo there.

    >It stands to
    >reason therefore that without the synergies, you might have a character that
    >does half the damage the synergised version (for example, moreso for elemental
    >skills than physical damage ones, though). Half of overpowered = build that
    >still works.

    ?? Which synergized barb combat skills are overpowered? Amazon bow
    skills? Druid shape shifting skills? Assassin MA skills?

    >Heck, in some cases, one third of overpowered still = build
    >that works.

    Most viable 1.09 builds maxed skills that do not synergize in
    1.10/1.11, with the result that they are now underpowered. Yes, in
    most cases you can shift the build somewhat to synergize and get a
    viable char using similar attack systems; but unless you have godly
    gear, you do need the synergies to solo in Hell, so most of the
    non-synergizing 1.09 builds no longer work.

    > but unless you have godly gear,

    Is Lionheart godly? How bout Baranars Star? Thundergod's Vigor? Tal's Mask?
    Buriza?

    > you do need the synergies to solo in Hell, so most of the
    > non-synergizing 1.09 builds no longer work.

    I said it once already, a zealot can solo hell without godly gear.

    royls@telus.net held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
    431e7be7.6212713@news1.qc.sympatico.ca to this Interweb chatroom:

    > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:05 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    > <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >> royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    >> tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >>> Good to see you back. If you haven't played dince 1.09, it's quite
    >>> a different game now. Most of the old builds no longer work.
    >>
    >> Just out of curiosity, which 1.09 builds don't you think "work" now?
    >
    > Nova sorc (except with Insight merc),
    Never tried a pure Nova sorc, but those who have assure me they are a blast.
    And viable.

    > Hydra sorc,
    Dunno. Short tried one I think, but he's short...

    > Revive necro,
    Balls. Totally doable, if you can GET to level 30. And fun too, if you
    revive vampires and fire off Lower Resist.

    > zealot,
    Buh????? They're only, like, the second best build for the Uber trio, and
    capable of soloing anywhere there are no Okies. With the right second
    skill/item on switch, they can do that too.

    > strafeazon,
    Possibly the best build to Pit run with, that isn't a sorc.

    > Berserker,
    Now you've done it. I guess my next 4 builds are planned now.

    > Frenzy barb,
    I can attest to sword barbs not being very good, and axe barbs rule. Ask me
    in about a week if mace barbs are viable.

    > Martial Arts sins,
    Made a couple...phoenix strike is VERY viable, if built right. Tiger
    Strike/Dragon Tail is also doable, with nothing better than Gore Riders and
    some decent damage claws.

    >Shape Shifting druids, the list goes on.
    Wolves are doable with mid-range stuff like Windhammer, Bonehew, Tomb
    Reaver, Obedience, Buriza...

    > Granted, most of these can be made workable with the right 1.10 rune
    > words, but most of those rune words are so costly that very few
    > players can make them without cheating.

    Really? Oh, let's not go down that road...

    wrote:

    >Been awhile since I have played D2. I guess that I may have to reload it and
    >start over....

    I think I'm about to faint, Can it be another original comes out of
    the woodwork? OMG I'm having Justus flashbacks!!!

    royls@telus.net, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over
    an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >>It stands to
    >>reason therefore that without the synergies, you might have a character that
    >>does half the damage the synergised version (for example, moreso for elemental
    >>skills than physical damage ones, though). Half of overpowered = build that
    >>still works.

    >?? Which synergized barb combat skills are overpowered? Amazon bow
    >skills? Druid shape shifting skills? Assassin MA skills?

    Which part of "moreso for elemental skills than physical ones" confused you?
    This is also EXACTLY the reason why most of the 1.09 builds you listed before
    STILL work - the difference between a synergised and non-synergised build is
    significantly LESS than for the elemental skills.

    >>Heck, in some cases, one third of overpowered still = build
    >>that works.

    >Most viable 1.09 builds maxed skills that do not synergize in
    >1.10/1.11, with the result that they are now underpowered.

    "Underpowered" in the sense that many of our old 1.09 builds can still solo
    act 5 hell pretty easily? (and not just with uber gear - I didn't trade AT
    ALL in 1.09/early 1.10)

    --

    "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >> >Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
    >> >her primary weapon.
    >
    >> It's a different game when you don't have the items to get
    >> double-digit +all skills.

    >She didn't, when I started her.

    I'll say. I ran two Nova girls last season (quite different builds -
    enchant/nova and a rocket) and was considering making an orb/nova or
    fireball/nova girl my starter sorceress this season (I went with a weather
    chick instead, just because I have even more of soft spot for that combo
    (partly synergised fireball/meteor/blizzard)

    Nova - not bad for a skill that doesn't even have a synergy. :-)

    --

    "Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    ><royls@telus.net> wrote in message
    >> but unless you have godly gear,

    >Is Lionheart godly? How bout Baranars Star? Thundergod's Vigor? Tal's Mask?
    >Buriza?

    I suppose one thing to consider is that Roy plays solely hardcore (I think),
    and maybe doesn't MF/trade/get gear from MFing friends, so his definition of
    "godly" gear might be different from yurs, just as my definition of godly gear
    is different from heavy traders/heavy MFers/those playing non-ladder with
    legacy gear.

    Lionheart is a very underrated runeword. :-)

    >> you do need the synergies to solo in Hell, so most of the
    >> non-synergizing 1.09 builds no longer work.
    >
    >I said it once already, a zealot can solo hell without godly gear.

    Here's another one... is a goldstrike arch (NOT upgraded) considered godly
    gear? Because I have 1.09 bowazons that can solo act 5 hell with one. What
    about a cruel matriarchal bow? Same thing. Buriza? All 1.09 gear on 1.09
    characters, no 1.10 runewords or other perks required.

    --

    "Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Here's another one... is a goldstrike arch (NOT upgraded) considered godly
    > gear? Because I have 1.09 bowazons that can solo act 5 hell with one.
    What
    > about a cruel matriarchal bow? Same thing. Buriza? All 1.09 gear on
    1.09
    > characters, no 1.10 runewords or other perks required.

    Precisely. Both my ranger and my zealot were completely capable of soloing
    hell when I brought them up from 09, before I ever gave them any new 1.10
    gear.

    > --
    > Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    > CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

    On 7 Sep 2005 07:13:58 -0700, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Excuse please, but my rocket sorc is VERY viable, and she uses NOVA as
    >her primary weapon.
    >
    >Mickey

    Hey Mickey!

    Do you have your Rocket Sorc built on US West Ladder SC?

    I'd love to see this build in action.

    - Samiel

Games Diablo Video Games