Windows doesn't boot after installation of a 2nd processor..

Moi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Hello,

I have added a second processor (exactly the same as the first one) on my hp
KAYAK XM600 (Bios V IC11.11), but now my windows 2000 Server SP4doesn't
boot.
It stop responding just when I can see the 'Windows boot logo' of windows
2000 Server

If I remove the second processor, everything is ok.
Have you got any idea of my problem please...

Regards,
Isabelle

There are differences in the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) between single and
dual processor setups. Reinstall Windows 2000 Server? Or maybe somebody can
explain the modules which need to be installed for dual processor. Does the
Kayak BIOS recognize both processors as present? ... Ben.Myers

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:58:06 +0100, "moi" <bigstyle@dlaballe.cjb.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have added a second processor (exactly the same as the first one) on my hp
>KAYAK XM600 (Bios V IC11.11), but now my windows 2000 Server SP4doesn't
>boot.
>It stop responding just when I can see the 'Windows boot logo' of windows
>2000 Server
>
>If I remove the second processor, everything is ok.
>Have you got any idea of my problem please...
>
>Regards,
>Isabelle

I don't know if this will help. I found this link at Hp:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=32584&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=tis04987
It talks about adding second processor. When you add the second
processor is this processor Differant than the first processor? Or
are they the same? I thought you had to have a 2nd processor that was
made just for being the second processor Hope this helps!

Moi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Hello,

I have installed the second processor by using the different jumpers present
in the second processor (a soltek; the first one is a real intel).

They have the same caracteristics (P III 667/256/133/1.65V)

Now my computer boots but windows 2000 server only see one processor even if
I have changed the ACPI Monoprocessor to ACPI multiprocessor.

Can we see if both processors are visibles in the BIOS ?
Do I have to switch to MPS Multiprocessor?

Thank you.
<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> a écrit dans le message de
> There are differences in the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) between
single and
> dual processor setups. Reinstall Windows 2000 Server? Or maybe somebody
can
> explain the modules which need to be installed for dual processor. Does
the
> Kayak BIOS recognize both processors as present? ... Ben.Myers
>
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:58:06 +0100, "moi" <bigstyle@dlaballe.cjb.net>
wrote:

> >Hello,
> >
> >I have added a second processor (exactly the same as the first one) on my
hp
> >KAYAK XM600 (Bios V IC11.11), but now my windows 2000 Server SP4doesn't
> >boot.
> >It stop responding just when I can see the 'Windows boot logo' of windows
> >2000 Server
> >
> >If I remove the second processor, everything is ok.
> >Have you got any idea of my problem please...
> >
> >Regards,
> >Isabelle

Moi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Thank you for your help.

I had seen this link and I did it but it didn't work :/
I noticed that when I have the second processor plugged, there's the
caracter '_' visible at the top left corner, just before I can see the
windows 2000 boot logo but in windows I can't see my second processor, even
if I changed my ACPI Monoprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor ...

Do I have to test the MPS Multiprocessor ?
HP doesn't really want to help me :/