Which Board to Keep?

Dumbass

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
Just bought 2 M/b (ASUS P4s333 and Soyo P4VGA). I know they are old chipsets but hey for $25 for the pair how could I pass that up? Anyways Which board should I keep for myself (minor gaming) and which should I build into a cheap "internet and word processing only" PC and sell? The Asus is only a 400 FSB while the Soyo can handle the 3.06GHZ P4 533bus with HT.

It's the computer that's stupid, not you right!?!

Rabs

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
The Asus is based on a faster/better chipset that the Soyo, the Asus will have loads more overclocking options also. The Soyo's integrated graphics will take it's toll on the memory performance of the board, using this feature or not. Get a couple of cheap chips from fleabay and get rid of the Soyo.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey dumbass, the SiS chipset was better, search around the net to find out if anyone has had success using P4S533 BIOS on the P4S333.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Dumbass

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
I have noticed. :) So when I flash it to the 533 bios it will run a P4 533fsb processor at a fsb of 533?

How about the p4s533-x bios?

It's the computer that's stupid, not you right!?!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dumbass on 04/27/04 05:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Supposedly, but like I said check around the net to be sure, as my memory isn't perfect!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I'm finding post in CPU's archive of people using the P4S333 with P4S533 BIOS, it should work, but I don't know about the -X BIOS, they were using the original P4S533 BIOS.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
If that P4S533 BIOS works, that $25 board is a freakin' steal!

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, look in the CPU's Archive 2002 for it, you'll find several post.

Dumbass

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
Thanks Crashman, Cat and Rabs for replying.

Keeping the Asus and going to do the 533 flash.

It's the computer that's stupid, not you right!?!