intel chipsets for intel processors?

johnnyboy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2004
I'm getting me a P4 3.0 pretty soon, and I was wondering--which chipset? nForce3 is looking pretty sexy right now, but would an Intel chipset be inherently more friendly with the P4? Also, I'm going to buy the Prescott, but might I inquire what comes with the name? What makes it so prestigious?

thanks,
johnnyboy

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Umm, nforce3 is only for AMD processors. Your choices for Pentium 4s are the Intel Chipsets(848, 865, 875 and all variations), copule from SiS, and one or two from Via. Plus the server variations of the Intel chipsets. My suggestions is to get one of the 865PE based motherboards, from Abit, Asus, Intel, Giga-byte or Soyo. I personally am very happy with several Asus P4P800s(regular and deluxe) that I've gotten.

What you get for a Prescott is a chip that is generally slower than the Northwood version, and runs hotter. Also seems to be less overclockable, though some would argue on that one. I would still get a Northwood myself.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get a Northwood. I wouldn't suggest a Prescott until you can get one in a LGA775 package.

Pair it with an intel chipset - they're made for each other. Sure, you can put a GM engine in a Ford car, but you're better off sticking with the same manufacturer the whole way.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd prefer a GM engine in a Ford...all my Ford engines have died horrible deaths.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it's hit or miss with engines, unless you're getting an older model that's been around and has a proven track record. My 11yr old modular 4.6 has over a quarter million kms on it and it and all I've done is replace the plugs, MAF sensor, belt tensioner, oil pan, starter, and EGR valve. From 150,000km I've run 5W30 synthetic and change it every 10,000km - it doesn't burn any oil.

I will say that GM makes a nice automatic transmission 'tho.

But getting back to the point, I doubt many people would argue that an intel chipset is the best match for an intel processor.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I feel 865PE chipset is cheaper way to go, 875 M/B are more expensive, but may provide some more performance. Don't get Prescott untill it hits around 4 to 4.5 gig. That is the speed that the super long 31 stage pipeline will start to really work for you.