Intermittent Internet access loss WRT54G

I am experiencing intermittent loss of Internet access with my WRT54G. If I
connect my computer directly the modem, I am able to get an IP via DHCP, and
I have Internet access. If I connect back to the router, I can get an IP via
DHCP, but there is no Internet access. If I power cycle the router, I have
Internet access back again. Is this a know issue with this router, and is
there any cure for it?

Here's what I did:

Return your Linksys router and buy a NETGEAR WGT624 108mps unit. This
device is EXTREMELY fast and was so SIMPLE to setup. My laptop found the
connection by itself even after changing the SSID. Encryption was also
simple. My total time from plug-in to completely setup was under 5
minutes - no joke!

Good luck.

"Ook" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am experiencing intermittent loss of Internet access with my WRT54G. If
> connect my computer directly the modem, I am able to get an IP via DHCP,
and
> I have Internet access. If I connect back to the router, I can get an IP
via
> DHCP, but there is no Internet access. If I power cycle the router, I have
> Internet access back again. Is this a know issue with this router, and is
> there any cure for it?

I had one. The problem with the Netgear is that it has a very small nat
table. Also, it rebooted itself every hour on the hour. I took it back, got
my money back, and bought the Linksys.....

I've owned several Netgears and several Linksys routers. The only real
difference is that the Linksys has a much much bigger nat table, and doesn't
reboot itself all the time. Netgear has a serious quality problem with their
firmware. OH, and the Linksys runs linux and has several alternative
firmwares available that greatly extend it's abilities. Net netgear is
locked down proprietary.

"Tom C." <tomc70NO@SPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Here's what I did:
>
> Return your Linksys router and buy a NETGEAR WGT624 108mps unit. This
> device is EXTREMELY fast and was so SIMPLE to setup. My laptop found the
> connection by itself even after changing the SSID. Encryption was also
> simple. My total time from plug-in to completely setup was under 5
> minutes - no joke!
>
> Good luck.
>

> "Ook" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I am experiencing intermittent loss of Internet access with my WRT54G. If
>> connect my computer directly the modem, I am able to get an IP via DHCP,
> and
>> I have Internet access. If I connect back to the router, I can get an IP
> via
>> DHCP, but there is no Internet access. If I power cycle the router, I
>> have
>> Internet access back again. Is this a know issue with this router, and is
>> there any cure for it?

It's funny how some people have great results with Linksys or Netgear and
others don't. :)

I had nothing but problems with my Linksys equipment, even after all the
firmware upgrades, and finally dumped it and went back to Netgear and got
amazing results. None of my Netgear equipment had any problems with
rebooting itself and the firmware upgrades have always gone without a
problem. On the flipside, my office Linksys router would reboot itself
every 10 to 20 seconds - we replaced that one with a Netgear router a month
ago and it hasn't happened since.

Our IT guy uses Linksys stuff all the time and has many happy clients. It
just didn't work for us.