Intermittent Internet access loss WRT54G

I am experiencing intermittent loss of Internet access with my WRT54G. If I
connect my computer directly the modem, I am able to get an IP via DHCP, and
I have Internet access. If I connect back to the router, I can get an IP via
DHCP, but there is no Internet access. If I power cycle the router, I have
Internet access back again. Is this a know issue with this router, and is
there any cure for it?
3 answers Last reply
More about intermittent internet access loss wrt54g

    Here's what I did:

    Return your Linksys router and buy a NETGEAR WGT624 108mps unit. This
    device is EXTREMELY fast and was so SIMPLE to setup. My laptop found the
    connection by itself even after changing the SSID. Encryption was also
    simple. My total time from plug-in to completely setup was under 5
    minutes - no joke!

    Good luck.

    "Ook" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I am experiencing intermittent loss of Internet access with my WRT54G. If
    > connect my computer directly the modem, I am able to get an IP via DHCP,
    and
    > I have Internet access. If I connect back to the router, I can get an IP
    via
    > DHCP, but there is no Internet access. If I power cycle the router, I have
    > Internet access back again. Is this a know issue with this router, and is
    > there any cure for it?

    I had one. The problem with the Netgear is that it has a very small nat
    table. Also, it rebooted itself every hour on the hour. I took it back, got
    my money back, and bought the Linksys.....

    I've owned several Netgears and several Linksys routers. The only real
    difference is that the Linksys has a much much bigger nat table, and doesn't
    reboot itself all the time. Netgear has a serious quality problem with their
    firmware. OH, and the Linksys runs linux and has several alternative
    firmwares available that greatly extend it's abilities. Net netgear is
    locked down proprietary.

    "Tom C." <tomc70NO@SPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Here's what I did:
    >
    > Return your Linksys router and buy a NETGEAR WGT624 108mps unit. This
    > device is EXTREMELY fast and was so SIMPLE to setup. My laptop found the
    > connection by itself even after changing the SSID. Encryption was also
    > simple. My total time from plug-in to completely setup was under 5
    > minutes - no joke!
    >
    > Good luck.
    >

    > "Ook" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I am experiencing intermittent loss of Internet access with my WRT54G. If
    >> connect my computer directly the modem, I am able to get an IP via DHCP,
    > and
    >> I have Internet access. If I connect back to the router, I can get an IP
    > via
    >> DHCP, but there is no Internet access. If I power cycle the router, I
    >> have
    >> Internet access back again. Is this a know issue with this router, and is
    >> there any cure for it?

    It's funny how some people have great results with Linksys or Netgear and
    others don't. :-)

    I had nothing but problems with my Linksys equipment, even after all the
    firmware upgrades, and finally dumped it and went back to Netgear and got
    amazing results. None of my Netgear equipment had any problems with
    rebooting itself and the firmware upgrades have always gone without a
    problem. On the flipside, my office Linksys router would reboot itself
    every 10 to 20 seconds - we replaced that one with a Netgear router a month
    ago and it hasn't happened since.

    Our IT guy uses Linksys stuff all the time and has many happy clients. It
    just didn't work for us.

    > I had one. The problem with the Netgear is that it has a very small nat
    > table. Also, it rebooted itself every hour on the hour. I took it back,
    got
    > my money back, and bought the Linksys.....
    >
    > I've owned several Netgears and several Linksys routers. The only real
    > difference is that the Linksys has a much much bigger nat table, and
    doesn't
    > reboot itself all the time. Netgear has a serious quality problem with
    their
    > firmware. OH, and the Linksys runs linux and has several alternative
    > firmwares available that greatly extend it's abilities. Net netgear is
    > locked down proprietary.
    >

    > "Tom C." <tomc70NO@SPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Here's what I did:
    > >
    > > Return your Linksys router and buy a NETGEAR WGT624 108mps unit. This
    > > device is EXTREMELY fast and was so SIMPLE to setup. My laptop found
    the
    > > connection by itself even after changing the SSID. Encryption was also
    > > simple. My total time from plug-in to completely setup was under 5
    > > minutes - no joke!
    > >
    > > Good luck.
    > >

    > > "Ook" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> I am experiencing intermittent loss of Internet access with my WRT54G.
    If
    > >> connect my computer directly the modem, I am able to get an IP via
    DHCP,
    > > and
    > >> I have Internet access. If I connect back to the router, I can get an
    IP
    > > via
    > >> DHCP, but there is no Internet access. If I power cycle the router, I
    > >> have
    > >> Internet access back again. Is this a know issue with this router, and
    is
    > >> there any cure for it?

Internet Access Routers Connection Wireless Networking