Just ridiculous.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I've mainly been playing my skellimancer on US West since the new ladder but
tonight I decided to give my zealot a run. Well, server lag is deadly. I get
game freezes where I can move around but the environment is static. I can be
in a bunch of monsters zealing away (Just got into hell, level 59) and
suddenly I realise that the monsters aren't moving. My pally is still
hitting but nothing is happening. I bravely run away only to find that, when
the server decides to give me some CPU time, I'm dead two screens away, back
where I was fighting when the freeze started. If it was only a couple times
an hour it would be sorta OK. However it's every five minutes or less. The
action freezes for between 10 - 30 second. I'm dying so often I can't gain
experience and have run out of gold. I had to give up playing.

My ping-times are excellent (for me), staying in the 210-280ms range. This
is a whole different type of lag to what I used to get. This isn't
connection lag it's server overload. Mickey mention a possible Denial Of
Service attack a while ago. That is no longer feasible as an explaination as
DOS attacks are, by their nature, short and devastating. This has been going
on to varying degrees for the whole of the new ladder. Also, I was playing
on US West at a time when there would have been few US players on.

Maybe it's worse tonight as the 28,000 banned CD keys are back increasing
the load on the servers? The cynic in me wondered after seeing the server
lag whether it was just happenstance that Blizz decided to do a mass ban or
whether they were hoping that a lot of the banned players just wouldn't
bother coming back. The same cynical side of my nature questioned whether
the reset was an attempt to get a percentage of the players to stop playing.
There were people here saying that they didn't know whether they could be
bothered starting over.

Is this the beginning of the end for LOD? Have the catamites at Blizz
de-commisioned a whole bunch of servers (perhaps dedicating them to WoW)? I
enjoy playing a summoner but not to the exclusion of all else.

What are other people seeing? It was similar last night ony not quite as
bad. I whispered Ashen and asked him if he was experiencing the same (in
case it was just the server I was on) and he confirmed it. I tried
re-creating games to get onto a different server, maybe one that was faster.
No luck.

I don't want to give up playing on the realms but if this continues then
I'll have no choice but to resort to SP or try to track down a copy of bnetd
and attempt to set up a server or talk someone else with a faster connection
into it.
--
~misfit~ (Not very happy at all).
27 answers Last reply

    [snip]

    Some nights I notice A LOT of lag, but other nights I do not.

    Maybe it's a function of connecting to a certain server?

    - Samiel
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > What are other people seeing? It was similar last night ony not quite
    > as bad. I whispered Ashen and asked him if he was experiencing the
    > same (in case it was just the server I was on) and he confirmed it. I
    > tried re-creating games to get onto a different server, maybe one
    > that was faster. No luck.

    A couple of burps yesterday, but nothing major, and certainly nothing at all
    like a couple of days last week. Creating another game seemed to fix my
    problems. For what time I've played today everything's been smooth sailing.
    --
    chainbreaker
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I've mainly been playing my skellimancer on US West since the new ladder but
    > tonight I decided to give my zealot a run. Well, server lag is deadly. I get
    > game freezes where I can move around but the environment is static. I can be
    > in a bunch of monsters zealing away (Just got into hell, level 59) and
    > suddenly I realise that the monsters aren't moving. My pally is still
    > hitting but nothing is happening. I bravely run away only to find that, when
    > the server decides to give me some CPU time, I'm dead two screens away, back
    > where I was fighting when the freeze started. If it was only a couple times
    > an hour it would be sorta OK. However it's every five minutes or less. The
    > action freezes for between 10 - 30 second. I'm dying so often I can't gain
    > experience and have run out of gold. I had to give up playing.
    >
    > My ping-times are excellent (for me), staying in the 210-280ms range. This
    > is a whole different type of lag to what I used to get. This isn't
    > connection lag it's server overload. Mickey mention a possible Denial Of
    > Service attack a while ago. That is no longer feasible as an explaination as
    > DOS attacks are, by their nature, short and devastating. This has been going
    > on to varying degrees for the whole of the new ladder. Also, I was playing
    > on US West at a time when there would have been few US players on.
    >
    > Maybe it's worse tonight as the 28,000 banned CD keys are back increasing
    > the load on the servers? The cynic in me wondered after seeing the server
    > lag whether it was just happenstance that Blizz decided to do a mass ban or
    > whether they were hoping that a lot of the banned players just wouldn't
    > bother coming back. The same cynical side of my nature questioned whether
    > the reset was an attempt to get a percentage of the players to stop playing.
    > There were people here saying that they didn't know whether they could be
    > bothered starting over.
    >
    > Is this the beginning of the end for LOD? Have the catamites at Blizz
    > de-commisioned a whole bunch of servers (perhaps dedicating them to WoW)? I
    > enjoy playing a summoner but not to the exclusion of all else.
    >
    > What are other people seeing? It was similar last night ony not quite as
    > bad. I whispered Ashen and asked him if he was experiencing the same (in
    > case it was just the server I was on) and he confirmed it. I tried
    > re-creating games to get onto a different server, maybe one that was faster.
    > No luck.
    >
    > I don't want to give up playing on the realms but if this continues then
    > I'll have no choice but to resort to SP or try to track down a copy of bnetd
    > and attempt to set up a server or talk someone else with a faster connection
    > into it.

    Not since I got rid of the wireless.

    I have noticed that USWest caters to a lot of players from Taiwan and
    Hong Kong, so it might not be as unoccuppied as you think.

    I still haven't seen you on in a while, and that spellsteel is waiting,
    although I started using it after I got my FIRST key from the Countess
    after about 60+runs. I thought maybe the summoner might be in a giving
    mood, and I used the TP charges to pop through the AS. I should
    probably use the ammy so I can keep the wand and head in play--carrying
    an axe really depletes the +skills.

    Sean
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    neithskye <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti:

    > right. Last night I had something interesting happen. I'd be in the
    > middle of happily typing a message to someone, or rearranging my
    > charms, I'd be moving fine, the merc would be moving fine, NPCs were
    > moving fine, the ping was fine, etc., etc., then, suddenly, *poof*
    > "Your Connection Has Been Interrupted". Then the char I was playing
    > would be banned from joining/making games for a time. This happened no
    > less than 6 times last night.

    I've been having this *constantly*, on Europe (so it's definitely not
    realm-specific). I've lost lots of items to it, too. In fact, I just
    had it happen and now have no idea what happened to the items I found
    in that game. Those don't worry me, but the worst I've lost today has
    been a 7 mf small charm: I had been in that game mere minutes and it
    had been working perfectly, no lag at all, and then suddenly, right
    after identifying the charm, YCHBI.

    When this happens, the game I had been in has always disappeared and
    the character has been rolled back a bit. That is pretty much exactly
    what a server crash ought to look like for a player. Obviously, if you
    knew what triggers a crash, you would have an instant duping method,
    and that is currently my main theory for what's going on. On trade
    sites, there are people claiming to have such loads of very high runes
    that no legit player could have that much stuff yet. And now spambots
    are advertising something they call "realm crash dupe".

    > I have no idea what a DOS attack is.

    It means "Denial of Service", basically any attack that makes a
    service unavailable for users. The most common method is to simply
    create lots of load on a server. So, the simplest DoS attack (besides
    taking a baseball bat to the servers) would be to hire 100000 evil
    teenagers to create lots and lots of games; the servers wouldn't be
    able to handle that and battle.net would be unusable. A realistic
    attack would do something similar, but would replace the teenagers
    with automated programs, home computers hijacked with viruses designed
    for the purpose and so on. There might also be game bugs that can be
    exploited to crash servers (IIRC there were in some previous versions).

    > I have no idea about the technicalities of lag. I do know that while I
    > seem to be having troubles, the friends I chat with don't seem to have
    > as many. I used to think it was proximity to the server or something
    > since the two friends I chat with are both in the States and, like I

    It's not that; this is clearly about the battle.net servers. I have a
    very good connection - the typical ping is something like 40 - and the
    game is utterly lagless except for these freezes and interrupts. It's
    very clearly a server thing, not a connection thing.

    > said, don't seem to have
    > the problems I do. But I'm in Ontario, Canada, probably less than 100
    > miles from the U.S. border, on the USEast server, so I'm not sure
    > that's it. Next I thought it was my ISP. It's a high speed edition, but

    Does anyone know where the USEast server is? On Europe, it seems like
    people in the north get better connections, which is not surprising,
    since the realm is hosted by an ISP that operates only in northern
    Europe (I think the servers are in Sweden, probably in Stockholm).

    My connection in the city is also always noticeably better than at the
    other place I play at, in a small town 200 km into the countryside.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "~misfit~" wrote...
    > I've mainly been playing my skellimancer on US West since the new ladder
    > but tonight I decided to give my zealot a run. Well, server lag is deadly.
    > I get game freezes where I can move around but the environment is static.
    > I can be in a bunch of monsters zealing away (Just got into hell, level
    > 59) and suddenly I realise that the monsters aren't moving. My pally is
    > still hitting but nothing is happening. I bravely run away only to find
    > that, when the server decides to give me some CPU time, I'm dead two
    > screens away, back where I was fighting when the freeze started. If it was
    > only a couple times an hour it would be sorta OK. However it's every five
    > minutes or less. The action freezes for between 10 - 30 second. I'm dying
    > so often I can't gain experience and have run out of gold. I had to give
    > up playing.
    >
    > [snip]

    I have been experiencing the same frustrating lag. Yesterday, on my USEast
    connection, the game several times froze in this way, and sometime in a way
    that was unusual: coming upon a monster pack, the monsters would begin to
    converge around me or my merc, and even though I could cast spells such as
    Charged Bolt and Blizzard, they had no effect on the monsters, and no Mana
    was used. I could walk around them but not teleport, and they did not
    attack after they converged. Very strange.

    Other lag produced the instant lag-death scenarios, and on the whole I
    became disgusted because prior to 1.11 I never experienced anything like
    this. My own feeling is that something has been done intentionally to
    reduce the enjoyment level of the game for realm players, but I am also a
    somewhat paranoid person.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Jaakko Raipala wrote:
    > neithskye <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti:

    <snip tale of lag woe>

    > I've been having this *constantly*, on Europe (so it's definitely not
    > realm-specific).

    Interesting, since last night was the first I'd experienced this, and
    I've been playing 1.11 since it came out. Add another thing to the 1.11
    pile.

    > When this happens, the game I had been in has always disappeared and
    > the character has been rolled back a bit.

    Again, interesting. The char I was playing was almost to clvl 73. I
    kept checking his XP to see how far he had to go, and I could have
    sworn it hadn't progressed. So if he had been rolled back, this would
    make sense.

    > It means "Denial of Service", basically any attack that makes a
    > service unavailable for users. The most common method is to simply
    > create lots of load on a server. So, the simplest DoS attack (besides
    > taking a baseball bat to the servers) would be to hire 100000 evil
    > teenagers to create lots and lots of games; the servers wouldn't be
    > able to handle that and battle.net would be unusable. A realistic
    > attack would do something similar, but would replace the teenagers
    > with automated programs, home computers hijacked with viruses designed
    > for the purpose and so on. There might also be game bugs that can be
    > exploited to crash servers (IIRC there were in some previous versions).

    Thank you for the explanation. But, why would people do this? (I know,
    it's probably a stupid question).

    > It's not that; this is clearly about the battle.net servers. I have a
    > very good connection - the typical ping is something like 40 - and the
    > game is utterly lagless except for these freezes and interrupts. It's
    > very clearly a server thing, not a connection thing.

    Well, then what I've suspected all along must be true - it must be my
    ISP. My normal pings hover around the 200 mark, and yet my friend's
    ping is 80.

    Curious, since I get my Internet through my country's main telephone
    company, and the type I have, the high speed edition, is one of the
    fastest Internet services they have to offer.

    > Does anyone know where the USEast server is?

    I'd always assumed California since that where Blizz Entertainment is
    located. But that's a good question.

    Jill
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > It's really noticable
    > playing a necro with bone armour, even when the game seems to be running
    > fine I notice variations in how fast the bone armour rotates. It's almost
    > constantly fluctuating, something I've never seen pre-patch / reset.

    Yup, I notice the same thing with my skelliemancer, or with my Druid's
    Cyclone Armor. It's moving slowly, slowly, then it spins around like a
    merry-go-round out of control. I also notice that my FPS goes down to
    around 5 when things start a-crawlin'. It's like being lagged by the
    Shenk death animation.

    > Frustrating.

    Indeed it is. It's gotten to the point now where the minute my merc
    doesn't move with me I get instantly cautious. Most of the time it's
    simply because he's enjoying the artwork on the walls, and moves
    eventually, but other times it's because of lag. Careful observation of
    my merc is one of the better ways I've found so far to gauge this lag.

    Jill
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Stephen van Ham wrote:

    > > Often I'll start a game, go
    > > off to do something else for a few minutes, and come back to find
    > > that the game is gone and my character is back in the lobby, ready
    > > for me to repeat the process. Is anyone else finding this?
    >
    > You're right. At first, after the reset, I could start a game with a mule
    > and wander off in a daze (as you do) and find, much to my surprise, that the
    > game is still running 6 hours later. That state of affairs continued for a
    > few weeks. It's no longer the case (IME).

    Ditto.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I've mainly been playing my skellimancer on US West since the new ladder
    > but tonight I decided to give my zealot a run. Well, server lag is deadly.
    > I get game freezes where I can move around but the environment is static.
    > I can be in a bunch of monsters zealing away (Just got into hell, level
    > 59) and suddenly I realise that the monsters aren't moving. My pally is
    > still hitting but nothing is happening. I bravely run away only to find
    > that, when the server decides to give me some CPU time, I'm dead two
    > screens away, back where I was fighting when the freeze started. If it was
    > only a couple times an hour it would be sorta OK. However it's every five
    > minutes or less. The action freezes for between 10 - 30 second. I'm dying
    > so often I can't gain experience and have run out of gold. I had to give
    > up playing.
    >
    > My ping-times are excellent (for me), staying in the 210-280ms range. This
    > is a whole different type of lag to what I used to get. This isn't
    > connection lag it's server overload. Mickey mention a possible Denial Of
    > Service attack a while ago. That is no longer feasible as an explaination
    > as DOS attacks are, by their nature, short and devastating. This has been
    > going on to varying degrees for the whole of the new ladder. Also, I was
    > playing on US West at a time when there would have been few US players on.
    >
    > Maybe it's worse tonight as the 28,000 banned CD keys are back increasing
    > the load on the servers? The cynic in me wondered after seeing the server
    > lag whether it was just happenstance that Blizz decided to do a mass ban
    > or whether they were hoping that a lot of the banned players just wouldn't
    > bother coming back. The same cynical side of my nature questioned whether
    > the reset was an attempt to get a percentage of the players to stop
    > playing. There were people here saying that they didn't know whether they
    > could be bothered starting over.
    >
    > Is this the beginning of the end for LOD? Have the catamites at Blizz
    > de-commisioned a whole bunch of servers (perhaps dedicating them to WoW)?
    > I enjoy playing a summoner but not to the exclusion of all else.
    >
    > What are other people seeing? It was similar last night ony not quite as
    > bad. I whispered Ashen and asked him if he was experiencing the same (in
    > case it was just the server I was on) and he confirmed it. I tried
    > re-creating games to get onto a different server, maybe one that was
    > faster. No luck.
    >
    > I don't want to give up playing on the realms but if this continues then
    > I'll have no choice but to resort to SP or try to track down a copy of
    > bnetd and attempt to set up a server or talk someone else with a faster
    > connection into it.
    > --
    > ~misfit~ (Not very happy at all).

    Its a pity Blizzard dont use some of that money they use to sue BNETD
    people, to pay for a decent ISP.
    WOW servers are just as bad, but rather than freezing they just lag 1000+ms
    for half a day.

    What I've noticed is that I can play in multiplayer games on USWest
    without the freezes. Sure if there's a druid using cyclone, a sorc
    casting blizzard and a skellimancer with 20 minions in the same area
    there's a bit of lagging. But, mostly those games can go for hours
    without having everything stop.

    If I make a private passworded game to MF or quest on my own, within
    the first 5 minutes I have the game stoppage, monsters just sort of
    stand around not moving much, my attacks do no damage, the merc just
    looks at whatever is going on and does nothing.....

    Is Blizzard trying to discourage us from having single player games on
    the realms?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Samiel <samiel@samiel.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Maybe it's a function of connecting to a certain server?

    This has always been my theory, as mentioned in prior threads.

    In fact, I found the problems started to occur a few weeks before the patch
    (after which they became worse). Pre-patch, I was having to save and exit
    out of at least a third of my MF games, as they were frozen.

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament

    "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >For what time I've played today everything's been smooth sailing.

    You've just jinxed yourself now. Be careful out there. :-)

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Stephen van Ham wrote:
    > "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, in a display of leetness, fell
    > down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash
    > at Baal...
    >
    >> For what time I've played today everything's been smooth sailing.
    >
    > You've just jinxed yourself now. Be careful out there. :-)

    I'm not superstitious, nosirree not me . . .

    --
    chainbreaker <searching desperately for rabbit foot, 4-leaf clover,
    horseshoe . . .>

    "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Stephen van Ham wrote:
    >> "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, in a display of leetness, fell
    >> down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash
    >> at Baal...
    >>
    >>> For what time I've played today everything's been smooth sailing.
    >>
    >> You've just jinxed yourself now. Be careful out there. :-)
    >
    >I'm not superstitious, nosirree not me . . .

    Hehe. I was doing meph walks with the pally the other day, and it was going
    real easy. I was getting lots of nice maps, and was getting down to durance
    3 in around a minute or so, on foot. As soon as I mentioned this fact to
    short, everything changed... I started getting lots of large maps, lots of
    enormous fanatic or holy freeze doll packs between the wp and the stairs to 3,
    etc.

    And I've been meaning to ask ~misfit~ how his pre-2 PM NZ MF runs have gone.

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "neithskye" wrote...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Stephen van Ham wrote:
    >
    >> > Often I'll start a game, go
    >> > off to do something else for a few minutes, and come back to find
    >> > that the game is gone and my character is back in the lobby, ready
    >> > for me to repeat the process. Is anyone else finding this?
    >>
    >> You're right. At first, after the reset, I could start a game with a mule
    >> and wander off in a daze (as you do) and find, much to my surprise, that
    >> the
    >> game is still running 6 hours later. That state of affairs continued for
    >> few weeks. It's no longer the case (IME).
    >
    > Ditto.

    Ditto again, here.

    "Blue Jack Sky" wrote...
    > What I've noticed is that I can play in multiplayer games on USWest
    > without the freezes. Sure if there's a druid using cyclone, a sorc
    > casting blizzard and a skellimancer with 20 minions in the same area
    > there's a bit of lagging. But, mostly those games can go for hours
    > without having everything stop.
    >
    > If I make a private passworded game to MF or quest on my own, within
    > the first 5 minutes I have the game stoppage, monsters just sort of
    > stand around not moving much, my attacks do no damage, the merc just
    > looks at whatever is going on and does nothing.....
    >
    > Is Blizzard trying to discourage us from having single player games on
    > the realms?

    That is a good possibility, IMO. I've been thinking along those lines. The
    next time I play and experience the lag, I may switch to some public games
    to see if that changes anything.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    > Samiel <samiel@samiel.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    > tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >
    > >Maybe it's a function of connecting to a certain server?
    >
    > This has always been my theory, as mentioned in prior threads.
    >
    > In fact, I found the problems started to occur a few weeks before the patch
    > (after which they became worse). Pre-patch, I was having to save and exit
    > out of at least a third of my MF games, as they were frozen.

    I would second this as Tito and I have experienced the strangest
    situations where we're both on the same line (so, same connection speed)
    and he hosts a game with lots of lag and I host a game with no lag at
    all (separate games for different level characters). The reverse has
    also happened.

    Since his computer is actually newer and faster than mine and neither of
    us has any processes running in the background, it has to be the
    servers. If you start a game and encounter significant lag, logging out
    and logging back in and hosting a new game might fix it.

    Shari (Orchid)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Orchid wrote:

    > I would second this as Tito and I have experienced the strangest
    > situations where we're both on the same line (so, same connection speed)
    > and he hosts a game with lots of lag and I host a game with no lag at
    > all (separate games for different level characters). The reverse has
    > also happened.
    >
    > Since his computer is actually newer and faster than mine and neither of
    > us has any processes running in the background, it has to be the
    > servers. If you start a game and encounter significant lag, logging out
    > and logging back in and hosting a new game might fix it.

    I "third" this. It's definitely server-related, pre and post 1.11.

    One of my theories as to a possible reason is the CPU intensity of Baal
    runs. Did anyone ever notice that there's *always* a short lag in the
    game when you kill the last monster of a wave in the throne room? My
    guess is that if you have a bunch of baal runs happening on the same
    server, it gets dogged.

    The other theory I had was memory leaks on the servers - the lagging
    that I experienced pre-1.11 would often result in a server crash. You
    could practically predict it; I lost stuff muling a couple of times and
    learned that if I'm muling and I get one or two freezes, I grab all
    stuff and exit.

    Theoretically, if a server has insufficient memory, eventually it will
    start to thrash the virtual memory and response time goes down for all
    processes on that server. The only way to fix a memory leak at the
    system level is to re-boot the server. Likely it becomes unresponsive
    and a server-monitor (external machine that's a watch dog) forces it to
    reboot. This is how a lot of server-farms work, I think. Again, this is
    all theoretical.

    Since 1.11, I've had different lag. However, I've not yet seen a server
    die. The 30K CD keys that were temporarily banned may have an impact.

    Other theories have been that it's the "hackers" (duping, scamming,
    other stuff that sends bogus packets to the server) that is causing the
    lag/crashes.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Thanks guys, so a few of you think it's maybe the server I get on? I've
    >tried starting new games and it rarely fixes it. However I'll try that more
    >often.

    >Cheers, thanks for all the responses.

    It's just a theory. Not that I have theories, of course. The "make a new
    game" approach seems to work more often than it doesn't, from my experience.

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >> I have noticed that USWest caters to a lot of players from Taiwan and
    >> Hong Kong, so it might not be as unoccuppied as you think.

    >Bastards! Don't they know there are *two* Asia realms? I must try the
    >/players (or is it /users?) command and see how many users are on at
    >different times.

    Hehe, aren't you and I supposed to be playing on the Asia realms also? ;-)

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Frustrating. I was playing HC at the end of last ladder but there's no way I
    >could at the moment. My level ~60 freezealot with pretty respectable resists
    >(Poison 35, all the rest 50 - 75) died maybe 10 times just doing the hell
    >Blood Moor and the den last night. I tried playing my skellimancer as if he
    >was HC from the start to see if it was viable but he died fairly frequently.
    >My first HC skellimancer ever (last season) got to level 67 before he bit
    >the dust and I have a level 86 guardian from last ladder. And that was with
    >bad ping-times. It would be impossible to do that ATM.

    Definitely. It was this sort of nonsense that prompted me to start a
    skellimancer also. Once things appeared to be improving a little, I went
    back to playing the sorceress and paladin.

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >I've mainly been playing my skellimancer on US West since the new ladder but
    >tonight I decided to give my zealot a run. Well, server lag is deadly. I get
    >game freezes where I can move around but the environment is static. I can be
    >in a bunch of monsters zealing away (Just got into hell, level 59) and
    >suddenly I realise that the monsters aren't moving. My pally is still
    >hitting but nothing is happening. I bravely run away only to find that, when
    >the server decides to give me some CPU time, I'm dead two screens away, back
    >where I was fighting when the freeze started. If it was only a couple times
    >an hour it would be sorta OK. However it's every five minutes or less. The
    >action freezes for between 10 - 30 second. I'm dying so often I can't gain
    >experience and have run out of gold. I had to give up playing.

    Actually, while we're talking about brittle.net... some people have said that
    they seem to be able to stay in games longer with the new patch, and that
    games in general seem to stay up longer. Well, what I've noticed burning in
    mule games is that they tend to die without warning a lot FASTER than before.

    In alt.games.diablo Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    :
[...]

    Yes I am also. I went downstairs to play some Defender with my son the other
    day and came back up to find myself out of game. One more trip through the
    black marsh I guess.....
    -dave
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    poza@gol.com (Orchid), in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped
    over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >> Samiel <samiel@samiel.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    >> tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >>
    >> >Maybe it's a function of connecting to a certain server?
    >>
    >> This has always been my theory, as mentioned in prior threads.
    >>
    >> In fact, I found the problems started to occur a few weeks before the patch
    >> (after which they became worse). Pre-patch, I was having to save and exit
    >> out of at least a third of my MF games, as they were frozen.
    >
    >I would second this as Tito and I have experienced the strangest
    >situations where we're both on the same line (so, same connection speed)
    >and he hosts a game with lots of lag and I host a game with no lag at
    >all (separate games for different level characters). The reverse has
    >also happened.

    Ah ha! Thanks for the confirmation. Since I have one copy of D2, I don't
    have a way to directly compare such things myself.

    --
    Hamster-HC, level 19 Barbarian, West HCL
    CombatTwit, level 13 Barbarian, SPF single-tree tournament
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:11:01 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >Well, what I've noticed burning in
    >mule games is that they tend to die without warning a lot FASTER than before.
    >Often I'll start a game, go off to do something else for a few minutes, and
    >come back to find that the game is gone and my character is back in the lobby,
    >ready for me to repeat the process. Is anyone else finding this?

    Lots. And I don't have to leave the char alone, I can be playing for
    five or ten minutes after creating and poof, interrupted, game often
    gone.

    -- Roy L

    Blue Jack Sky <MrBlueSky1@webtv.net> wrote:

    > f I make a private passworded game to MF or quest on my own, within
    > the first 5 minutes I have the game stoppage, monsters just sort of
    > stand around not moving much, my attacks do no damage, the merc just
    > looks at whatever is going on and does nothing.....
    >
    > Is Blizzard trying to discourage us from having single player games on
    > the realms?

    two of us playing in pw games today got it in 2 different games.

    so it isn't solo folks only - maybe pw's?
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:37:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

    >> Since 1.11, I've had different lag. However, I've not yet seen a
    >> server die. The 30K CD keys that were temporarily banned may have an
    >> impact.
    >
    >28,000 of those keys are now un-banned.

    Come and see how good all the new 1.11 cheats are!

    -- Roy L

Games Servers Video Games