Sign in with
Your question

Crysis performance questions

Last response: in Video Games
April 5, 2010 9:15:46 PM

Hey. I just recently purchased a computer and my roommate decided he wanted to try Crysis on it. My system specs are an i7920 @ 2.67, HD5970, 9gigs of ram @ 1333, and a 300GB 10k rpm HDD. I figured that, this being a 3 year old game, my computer would have more than enough power to handle it. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. I started the game up in Very High settings at 1680x1050 at first just out of curiosity. Now the game ran fairly smoothly with the exception of a few graphical glitches. A few examples would be a bit of screen tearing, some pop up, and occasionaly fauna, rocks, clouds, and other set pieces would flicker or give off strange illuminations. After seeing this, I decided well if that is how it is on very high, then high settings should run flawlessly. That was not that case at all. On high settings I would have some slight lag issues, and the odd graphical abnormalities got even more intense. Occasionally I would alt tab to check how the load was effecting my HD5970 and the gpu core had peaked at about 88C, which isn't that bad. Is anyone aware of any settings that would cause such glitches? Honestly this is only the second game I've installed on the computer, the first being World of Warcraft. I run WoW @ ultra settings @ a consistent 60FPS (vertical sync) with not even so much as a hiccup. Now I know camparing that to Crysis at max settings is a horribly uneven comparison, but I'm wondering how my computer, being quite adequate in the hardware department, can't seem to get Crysis right.

Anyone have any input or suggestions on this? Thanks!
April 5, 2010 9:39:22 PM

Xridica said:
Hey. I just recently purchased a computer and my roommate decided he wanted to try Crysis on it. My system specs are an i7920 @ 2.67, HD5970, 9gigs of ram @ 1333, and a 300GB 10k rpm HDD. I figured that, this being a 3 year old game, my computer would have more than enough power to handle it. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. I started the game up in Very High settings at 1680x1050 at first just out of curiosity. Now the game ran fairly smoothly with the exception of a few graphical glitches. A few examples would be a bit of screen tearing, some pop up, and occasionaly fauna, rocks, clouds, and other set pieces would flicker or give off strange illuminations. After seeing this, I decided well if that is how it is on very high, then high settings should run flawlessly. That was not that case at all. On high settings I would have some slight lag issues, and the odd graphical abnormalities got even more intense. Occasionally I would alt tab to check how the load was effecting my HD5970 and the gpu core had peaked at about 88C, which isn't that bad. Is anyone aware of any settings that would cause such glitches? Honestly this is only the second game I've installed on the computer, the first being World of Warcraft. I run WoW @ ultra settings @ a consistent 60FPS (vertical sync) with not even so much as a hiccup. Now I know camparing that to Crysis at max settings is a horribly uneven comparison, but I'm wondering how my computer, being quite adequate in the hardware department, can't seem to get Crysis right.

Anyone have any input or suggestions on this? Thanks!

Are you using the latest drivers for your 5970? Catalyst Control Center 10.3 is currently the latest.

Tell me you are using Windows 7 or Vista 64 bit!!! 64 Bit is essential for that much RAM.

The screen tearing should be stoppable by enabling VSync.

And you are right, the 5970 should be able to run Crysis at maxed out settings.

Another point is that it might be worth overclocking your CPU.

And finally what kind of power supply are you using? A lack of power to the GPU could be the source of the problem (although I'm not sure thats what it is if you can run other games well).

9Gb or RAM is a weird configuration. You must be using 3x2Gb DIMMS and 3x1Gb DIMMS. Which is probably not very well balanced.
m
l
April 6, 2010 7:15:14 AM

You are right about my memory settup, it is 3x2 and 3x1. I honestly haven't noticed an issue with memory whatsoever. I do not have the latest drivers atm, but I didn't realize there were patches out for the game. I installed those and it fixed every graphical quirk I was experiencing. The game now runs flawlessly in High, and only experiences slight FPS issues in Very High. Am I right to assume that is on behalf of my 2.67 processor? It's the least impressive piece of hardware in my machine, afterall. It is liquid cooled, though. So I would imagine I would have no problem OC'ing it to at least 3.2. I just don't want to void the warranty on my computer. Also, yes, I am running Windows 7 64-bit. As for the power, I am using an 875w PSU.

You mentioned 10.3 is the latest. Is that a beta release or a finalized one?

Thank you for your response!
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2010 8:13:34 AM

Xridica said:
You are right about my memory settup, it is 3x2 and 3x1. I honestly haven't noticed an issue with memory whatsoever. I do not have the latest drivers atm, but I didn't realize there were patches out for the game. I installed those and it fixed every graphical quirk I was experiencing. The game now runs flawlessly in High, and only experiences slight FPS issues in Very High. Am I right to assume that is on behalf of my 2.67 processor? It's the least impressive piece of hardware in my machine, afterall. It is liquid cooled, though. So I would imagine I would have no problem OC'ing it to at least 3.2. I just don't want to void the warranty on my computer. Also, yes, I am running Windows 7 64-bit. As for the power, I am using an 875w PSU.

You mentioned 10.3 is the latest. Is that a beta release or a finalized one?

Thank you for your response!

CCC 10.3 is the latest:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/...

If you have liquid cooling on your CPU you should really try and overclock it :)  Or else its a bit of a waste of such an awesome rig! People have got their i7 920s past 4Ghz on air!!! I would be aiming for atleast 3.6 or 3.8. A modest overclock to 3.33 or whatever usually doesnt even require any voltage tweaking, you should just increase the bus speed :) 

Glad to hear that it was simply the lack of patches that was holding you back, and nothing more sinister ;) 
m
l
April 6, 2010 8:25:20 AM

Yes I was quite relieved! I'll definitely look into OC'ing the cpu and contacting the manufacturer to see if that would void the warranty. One question about the latest driver, I was just reading a review and a few people are saying it's causing more problems than it's actually solving. Are you using the 10.3 drivers? I'm a little skeptical. My computer is running fine now, and whereas I'd love for it to run even better with advanced drivers, I'd also hate for it to run worse! :p 
m
l
April 6, 2010 8:49:27 AM

Xridica said:
Yes I was quite relieved! I'll definitely look into OC'ing the cpu and contacting the manufacturer to see if that would void the warranty. One question about the latest driver, I was just reading a review and a few people are saying it's causing more problems than it's actually solving. Are you using the 10.3 drivers? I'm a little skeptical. My computer is running fine now, and whereas I'd love for it to run even better with advanced drivers, I'd also hate for it to run worse! :p 

Yes I am using the 10.3 drivers, and they seem to be working fine. Cant say I really noticed much of a difference (if any) between these and 10.2 drivers though.

They are supposed to give a slight performance increase in most games though, which was why I suggested using them.

What kind of rig is yours then? As in what brand? Is it an Alienware? I mean if the motherboard isnt OEMed to hell you should be able to overclock it, and if you needed to you would be able to restore the default motherboard settings easily enough. I can't see how anybody would be able to tell ;) 
m
l
April 6, 2010 3:17:12 PM

Hi Both,

Just to add my 2cents worth to your discussion...

I had a very similar problem with my installation of Crysis. My PC was a self built system with more than good enough specs to see the game run on Ultra settings. I saw the same screen tearing and intimittent graphics problems. Neither of these have been seen in any other game. The game itself, when working would run at 50-60FPS on average making this a strange one.

After tralling around someone reccomended running the game as an administrator (can't remember the location of h tis advise though). I was skeptical about the benefit of this, but was proven wrong in my case. I am not suggesting this is a fix, but maybe worth a try.

Hope that helps :-)
m
l
April 6, 2010 7:04:31 PM

RickyT23 said:
Yes I am using the 10.3 drivers, and they seem to be working fine. Cant say I really noticed much of a difference (if any) between these and 10.2 drivers though.

They are supposed to give a slight performance increase in most games though, which was why I suggested using them.

What kind of rig is yours then? As in what brand? Is it an Alienware? I mean if the motherboard isnt OEMed to hell you should be able to overclock it, and if you needed to you would be able to restore the default motherboard settings easily enough. I can't see how anybody would be able to tell ;) 

Yeah it's an alienware. My friend has been playing the hell out of Crysis and the only thing I can notice is a bit of a framerate slow down during intense graphical sequences. This on Very High settings, btw. the i7920 has the intel extreme tuning utility. Is that what I would use to OC my card? Do you think that, combined with the driver upgrades, would make it a lot less choppy?
m
l
April 7, 2010 2:03:05 AM

Xridica said:
Yeah it's an alienware. My friend has been playing the hell out of Crysis and the only thing I can notice is a bit of a framerate slow down during intense graphical sequences. This on Very High settings, btw. the i7920 has the intel extreme tuning utility. Is that what I would use to OC my card? Do you think that, combined with the driver upgrades, would make it a lot less choppy?

Well you could attempt to overclock the CPU. That would contribute to speeding up Crysis when it gets hectic. Looking in the BIOS wouldnt hurt. It seems strange that they would supply a system with liquid cooling without overclocking it, or atleast giving the user the option to overclock it. Like I say all you have to do for a mild overclock is increase the FSB speed. A bit. And if you have the option of increasing the vcore coltage than you could overclock it a bit more.

Besides the point, to overclock the 5970:

Well you can use the ATI Overdrive feature built into the Catalyst Controll Center. You already have this installed so just right-click your desktop, go into the CCC and click on "graphics" then "ATI Overdrive". You can move both of the sliders to their right-most position with no concerns what-so-ever. ATI overdrive only allows a small oveclock, maybe about 10% roughly. Which is stil nice though. The 58/900 cards overclock really well though, and the easiest way to overclock further is to use the AMD GPU Clock Tool, available here:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-GPU-Clock-Tool-v0.9.8-d...

Stock clocks for the 5970 are 725/1000. Which incidentally is the same as the Radeon 5850 (my card). I am running mine (when gaming in games which require it (Metro 2033, Crysis Warhead, STALKER etc) at 840/1180. I could probably push it further but this is easy enough.

If you did these things it would make the games run faster basically:

1 - Overclock CPU

2 - Overclock GPU

3 - Install newest drivers.

You can run a few benchmarks (Unigine Heaven 2.0 is a good benchmark, very beautiful and system hungry, and free) before and after an see how much of a performance increase you can get!

There is no reason not to do these things, please post back with some before and after scores (average FPS scores)!!!
m
l
April 7, 2010 2:15:52 AM

Xridica said:

Also I am not familiar with the Intel Extreme Tuning tool. The traditional way to O/C the CPU is through the BIOS, I have dabbled with this black art, and a modest overclock is very easy. Im not sure about the ratios and bus speeds with i7s, im sure there are plenty of guides on how to do it on the net. If I was going to experiment though I would simply try to find the setting for the FSB frequency (though the BIOS this is), and increase the number, probably by 15-20% at first. Then when you load Windows run three free utilities to find out what is happening. CPUz, Coretemp and ORTHOS. ORTHOS and Coretemp are the most important. Coretemp will show you the CPU core temperature, realtime. I think someone said once that it shows a temperature roughly 20 degrees lower than the actual temp, and I use this as a guide.

CPUz will give you realtime reports on actual voltages and frequencys, as well as telling you about your CPU.

ORTHOS is a stress testing program to test stability. It just runs these really nasty algorithms or calculations and if your CPU returns the wrong answer then it will "FAIL" and beep at you, telling you that the machine isnt stable. Instability is only really likely to happen when you have overclocked sustantially. You can leave this program running overnight or for a few hours to guarantee that the system is truely stable.

Someone else have better experiance with overclocking i7s?
m
l
!