I've Read Too Much - Which MB ?

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I've read too much, my head hurts !! Given up on a Prescott. I'm leaning toward a 2.8C Northwood.

So which motherboard ??

The more I read, I hear someone complaining about this MB or that MB. I realize that most posts are from people with problems. Not to say how great ABC brand board is.

Leaning toward an ABIT board. Probably the IS7.

Anything better ??

The things I want most are the system to be dependable and ease of setting up.

No Games or Overclocking.

Thanks for the input.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with the IS7, fewer complaints!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Thanks Crash. You seem to favor this motherboard, from your many posts.

Any suggestions for Memory ??

I want 1 gig. 2 x 512mb I'm guessing.

Brand and Speed ??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're overclocking, probably the OCZ PC3700 Gold Rev. 2.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Crucial.com has PC3200 with extremely stable timings.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I'd never say anything bad about crucial, but OCZ and Corsair are also very reputable. You could prob get their "value" RAM for about $90 512 MB PC 3200 at newegg. Might be cheaper than crucial.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My friendly builder in Australia is having problems running Value Ram in dual channel mode without either raising the voltage or lowering the timings.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There were others, but I specifically remember him having problems with that RAM on the IC7-Max3.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think I would get some good PC3700 over stock ram. Prices are starting to fall and one of these days you're going to want to try clocking it up. My 2.8C is fast at stock speeds, but even a small over-clock to 3.05ghz made a tremendous difference. So much, in fact, that I will never go back. I'm in a sweet spot at 3.208mhz now, and that was really my goal. My temps are only 2C over stock, with a 1.55V core. This is free performance, available to all owners of the 2.8C Northwood, the IS7, and the right memory. Even if you don't ever use it, the better memory will be more stable at lower latencies than any Value Ram. :smile:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!