OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

That's the error I get when trying to run this game Sacrifice. Did some research and said that it was cause the game was so old and it doesn't think it has enough memory.

I am running W7 64bit, EVGA 780i, 6600, 8800GTS, 4GIG Corsair 800..good computer and I am pretty knowledgeable about computers.
Tried bringing paging file down to 700meg, tried downloading microsoft compatibility and messing with the GlobalMemSize.

Any help someone can give me to run this old game I love so much ?!

I've seen taht before; some games trip up when detecting avaliable RAM over the old 16-bit limit, as the variables they use for the check overflow (which results in a negative number, which obviously is less then the minimum requirements). I suspect thats whats happening here...

If its got a dos exe, you could run DosBox. Its probably 95/98 era though, so I don't think theres much you can do...

andrewriker

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Game came out in 2000 so I am not sure ... crap. It ran in XP just fine, and just a year ago it was released through Steam so it's gotta have some kind of compatibility ??

isamuelson

Distinguished

Not always. I know I purchased Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and ran into a host of issues trying to get it to run. It said my DirectX wasn't recent enough (DirectX 11?). Apparently, it was looking for older DirectX files and during the install, I didn't want it to try and install any DirectX files. After that, I allowed it to do so and that fixed the issue.

Not sure if that's your problem or not. The other thing is to either Dual Boot or using VirtualBox or VMWare Player to try and run the game in a virtual XP machine. Both of those programs provide 3D acceleration, but it's still not as good as running natively under XP.

64-bit Windows is a finicky beast when it comes to older software. Which really surprised me when I was able to install Ultima IX and actually play it!

andrewriker

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Ahh yeah it needs DX7..that's pretty old. You thinking the only way to run this game is to run it in a virtual XP mode? Seems like a lot of work for a game..I thought W7 had a lot of options with compatibility with all there different "modes" you can run a program in.

It bums me out cause the game boots up fine, a little chuggy and I get into game, and sometimes I can run around and it works ok but then it starts to lag, other times when I cast spells the graphics artifact out really fast and I hear crazy noises before windows shuts it down.

:(

isamuelson

Distinguished

Windows 7 32-bit is more compatible with older software. Windows 7 64-bit isn't because it's a different architecture.

You could still try the compatibility modes (I assumed you already tried) to see if that fixes it.

This game was originally written to run on Windows 98, so you have to remember that even though 98 was considered a 32-bit app, it still could run 16-bit apps because of it's backwards compatibility with Windows 3.1 and DOS.

andrewriker

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
So you don't think it has anything to do with paging file ?

It seems that the game runs but then bugs out , which leads me to believe it's not a compatibility mode problem, more of a graphics allocation / ram problem.

Thank you for the knowledge you are giving me by the way! Just wish I could get this darn program to work!

isamuelson

Distinguished
No, looking at this is says the fault is within D3D (Direct 3D) which the module version is 6, so I'm assuming this is DirectX 6 (considering the game came out for Win98).

When you install the game, does it ask to install DirectX? If so, did you tell it to do so? If not, I would tell it to. It won't trash your DirectX11 install for Windows 7. If you really are scared, then create a restore point first.

Also, once the game is installed, get any and all patches for the game and then set the compatibility mode to Win98 and see if that fixes it.

andrewriker

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
hit yes install DX when installing the game...but looking back at it I don't think it did. Don't remember.

and yes I updated the game to "game Pack #3" which is the newest patch (2006 or something haha)

isamuelson

Distinguished
What virtual machine were you trying? XP Mode won't work with 3d accelerated games, so you'd have to us VirtualBox or VMWare Player. You can also install the XP Mode image (400mb from the XP Mode download page) and use that within VMWare Player if you don't have a licensed copy of Windows XP.

andrewriker

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
XP Mode booted up, installed game and tried to run it and got a graphics error when trying to play, like you said it wasnt 3d accelarated. Tried using same .iso for Xp Mode in VMWare, and when it was booting up after i hit finish it cant find any operating system and never actually installs or gets to any OS through the program. says no boot filename received.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Follow these instructions to run the XP Mode image within VMWare player:

http://tech-n-life.com/index.php/2010/02/run-xp-mode-inside-vmware-player-no-need-for-special-hardware/

andrewriker

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Thank you! I got it to work...except there always seems to be a problem with the resolution..it's either really bunched up or i have to scroll down to see the whole screen. Hmmm

andrewriker

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I tried that...but the game always starts off in a small window on the VM, and then when I tried to maximize it, it just blacks out and the game continues but nothing is showing up. Happens when I try to mess with window size and resolution