Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Hi,

I had this board for ages and on day I turn it on, I get a single long beep and the board shutdown. When I remove the memory it just continuously long beeps which the manual says is missing ram. But What is this long beep and then shutdown? Can anyone help? There is no documentation of a long beep then shutdown.

Julian

endyen

Splendid
A single long beep usually means video. Make sure your video card is well seated in the slot. They do tend to work thier way out over time.Make sure the keeper for "pro" is still in place.

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Yeah, the beep code for the video card loose is a Long beep followed by three short beeps, I checked the manual.

It is the fact the system shuts off after beeping, makes me think there is something really wrong.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Haven't heard that problem for a while, having a single long beep that is.

I think that's what you get if the RPM readings for the CPU are too low.

First make sure the CPU fan is actually running. If it is then the RPM signaling could be faulty.

You can do a simple test with a case fan as long as it has RPM monitoring. Plug the CPU fan into another fan header so you still get CPU cooling then plug the case fan into the original CPU fan header. If I'm right this will allow your system to POST. If it does work then you probably need to replace the CPU fan.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 05/09/04 11:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>