Game Running SLOW!

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I am trying to play GTA San Andreas on my computer with these specs.

CPU: Amd Athlon x64 3500+ @ 2.2 Ghz
3Gb DDR pc 3200
Radeon hd 4890

I recently upgraded GPU from Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ OC

with the nvidia i could play the game at max res %100 no problems what so ever
even when flying through clouds i would have a GREAT FPS 60+ FPS (somewhere around there)

when i upgraded to the HD 4890 i noticed my overall FPS has dropped and when i fly through a cloud i drop as low as 15FPS sometimes lower
my avg FPS is about 30ish but ranges from low 20's to mid 40's depending on whats going on around me.

i even underclocked my GPU and overclocked my CPU to compensate for the bottle neck and same problem.

the odd thing is games that the 9800 couldnt handle well like MW2 and Crysis now run GREAT with FPS ranges from 40-100+

can someone PLEASE help me figure out what is going on.

Solution

I beat the game last year and uninstalled it. I think I'll have to reinstall it and see if I come across the exact same issue then.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Did you uninstall all the previous video drivers? Your new card should MORE than handle the game as well as your CPU.

Did you download the latest ATI drivers? Uninstall the current drivers and reinstall the latest ATI drivers and hopefully, that should fix it.

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Yes i did a Full re-install of windows for that matter (it needed to be done anyway)
and have the newest of all my drivers.
on a side note i can hit my preset 125FPS limit in MW2 and CoD4 with the GPU underclocked @ 6500Mhz Core and 750Mhz Mem
stock clocks are 850 Core and 975 Mem
Crysis, Farcry 2, Mirrors Edge, all games i have run as good if not better than with the 9800 all except GTA

isamuelson

Distinguished
Okay, just to be sure, you are talking about GTA San Andreas which takes place in an LA-type gangland and not back in Vice City with the Russian immigrant? I just want to make sure because it's strange that you're it's playing slow on your PC. VERY strange. I could understand if it were GTA IV, but San Andreas should run just fine on your machine.

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
yes i am talking about GTA San Andreas not Vice City and not Liberty City or even GTA IV

like i said before it ran fine with my 9800 GTX+ OC i got 60+ FPS all day long, it never went below 60 FPS to be exact even when flying through clouds.

and i know that my CPU is bottle necking the hell out of my GPU thats why i underclocked my GPU and overclocked my CPU

no help
but with my CPU @ stock speeds 2.2Ghz and videocard still underclocked i can hit 125 FPS on Cod4 and MW2

matter of fact every other GPU/CPU intensive game runs BETTER than my 9800 even with my GPU underclocked

its odd as hell....

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the reply, that is pretty much what i did.
i found out that im not the only one with this issue and i think its a driver problem.
it sucks but i had to do one of two things as they both worked.
#1 you can turn the AA in game from 3 to 2 and that will make your FPS stable.
or
#2 turn your visual FX quality from very high to either high or medium, and that will produce the same effect.

it just sucks how such a powerful card could have its ass handed to it by such an old game on or such an old video card.
I should be able to play that game at 100+ FPS all day long....

isamuelson

Distinguished

I beat the game last year and uninstalled it. I think I'll have to reinstall it and see if I come across the exact same issue then.

Solution

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
yeah dude reinstall it, weather you beat it or not its one of the few games that have a GREAT replay factor and they also have it online so you can play against other people too, thats why i still play it.

SA:MP is Teh Bombs!

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

i gave up on trying to figure it out a long time ago i just turned down a setting and its pretty much fixed, sad this game cant max out with my pc dont understand why but oh well its not a huge deal