Oblivion graphics card

stressed-out-roleplay

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello, basically i would like to know what is the best graphics card
for oblivion and the prices..... also i'd like some info about this :
my pc has 512 mb of ram 1.60 ghz and intel(R)pentium(R)4 my hardisk is 206 gb and im on windows xp...... what needs to be updated in order to play oblivion? if it even can be updated.... :pfff: i havent purchased the game yet i just thought it'd be better to check some things out .... thanks

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB System RAM
* ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Keyboard, Mouse

I always stick with the recommended system specs because the minimum is just that, the minimum to actually run the game, not run it well. I played oblivion on my old e6400 core2 machine that had 2GB or RAM and an ATI x1900xtx card and it played it pretty darn well at 1280x1024.

You are going to have CPU and most likely memory issues playing the game. If I recall it chews up a little bit of RAM to run and in your case it will page swap alot with the hard drive and bring down performance. As far as video cards go, you can run it on any modern card I would think. Maybe a 4670 or above would most likely do the trick depending on your resolution. I would be more concerned about upgrading your current system before getting a graphics card.

It is a fun quest type game. I really enjoyed it.

stressed-out-roleplay

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Yeah i thought my pc would be fine ... works for quite alot of games. thought i could rely on the bloody thing.... so should i just get a all round new pc? i think the biggest problem is the memory ..... and i also have the lowest graphics card of them all ..... a geforce 2 series .... well thanks for the help

Arcelas

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
If you play vanilla Oblivion, the recommended specs are fine. If, however you want to play any of the major mods, you'll need a little more PC to play it nicely.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I had a Pentium D 820 @ 2.8Ghz, 2Gb DDR2-800 Ram and a 6800GT OC 256Mb video card, ran the game at 1280x1024 and mid-high graphics and I could only get between 25-35Fps, if I only ran mid graphics max and took of AA I might have been squeaking out 50Fps so it needs a decent setup. Now I can get 125+Fps on Max everything

EnderYeah

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I was in a similar position as you. I wanted to upgrade my 7 year old pc instead of buying a whole new system.
Here are the problems I had, and you will likely run into as well:
RAM, not too bad to upgrade, but do you have enough slots on your Mobo for two extra dims? Plus its relatively expensive to buy old, underpowered ram. You are essentially paying more for less.
Graphics Card (GPU), you will obviously need to upgrade this, but you will likely be limited by your motherboards lack of PCI Express. So you will have to settle for a card that will work for PCI or AGP (depending on your motherboard).
Power Supply (PSU), this was the deciding factor for me. Even if i upgraded everything, my power supply was old and weak and couldnt power the upgraded system.
In the end, I just built a brand new PC for about $680. Its brilliant and plays the newest games like a champ. You can definately put together a nice PC for less than that, too.
In the end, it might be cheaper to upgrade your old system, but your money would be better spent on a new system all together.
If you feel confident in your computer building skills, take a look at the Athlon ii X3 435 processor. its cheap and super solid for gaming. If you want to overclock, I would definately thnk about a Black Edition processor, for simpler overclocking.
Msg me if you think i can help. I'm a newbie, too. but perhaps my recent experiences will be useful to you. GL!

stressed-out-roleplay

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
i now have purchased a grand spanking new pc on ebay would like to know if its compatible with oblivion. most of it seems okay to me but just to make sure ;) the processer speed is 3.0 - 3.4GHz and has windows 7, intel pentium 4 HT, 512MB and nVIDIA 6800 ultra ddr3 video card not sure about the system ram ... anyway i do hope this meets the criteria, took me ages to find a decent pc ...

Looks like you are in the recommended area. I couldn't play the thing on an eMachines T2824 with a Celeron D 350 ( 3.2 Ghz ). Only had PCI slots and I added an FX5500 Card with 256 mb dedicated ram. Still wouldn't play. Got another eMachines in the fall of '06 with a Pentium D 805. Had to add a Video card ( Nvidia 7600GS PCIE ) and then I could play it. Don'y know how far you can push the settings though. It will automatically configure it at the out set, but you can then tweak it.