3.2 E 1 meg cache

Dratzz

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Hiyas,

I just bought the 3.2e with the 1 meg Cache and installed in place of my 2.4 c. My puter would not turn on. the fan starts as soon as I plug in cord but nothing else works. My motherboard is the INTEL D875PBZ.I put the 2.4G back in and it works fine. The guy at FRY's said my mobo would support the cpu. Am I screwed and need to buy a new MOBO? Or am i missing something.

thanks,
Dennis

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I believe the guy assumed your board would support it because it's an Intel board, but a few older boards didn't support Prescott. Intel warned us several months back that this would happen.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Except of course that this board does support the Prescott just fine.

Make sure you're running the P20 or later revision bios though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Really? Read <A HREF="http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/bz_proc.htm" target="_new">This</A>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Yes, we're looking at the CPU chart that says the motherboard supports this processor. Certain revisions might not.

That's exactly waht I looked at earlier. WE're sitting in a forum where better than 95% of thetime the problewm is user error, not an actual hardware problem. Yet you make the assumption that the hardware is at fault, rather than that he just hasn't updated the BIOS to support the new processor, even when he gave no indication as to the revision number of the board.

Interesting.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, well, it's really just a suggestion. It's based on the fact his 2.4C works but his 3.2E doesn't. It sounds like a likely reason, but as you said, the BIOS should also be updated using the 2.4C before he'll know for sure the 3.2E really doesn't work. And even then he'd have to be sure his power supply was adequate.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, that would be an optimal solution even if his board doesn't have that problem. Because then he'd get a better performing P4C!