SSID Question

I have a cable modem through a set top box and a NETGEAR wireless
access point and USB stick which was sent as a kit by service
provider, but this will only allow me to go online with a single
PC/Laptop at any one time.

I think this has been set purposely by the service provider since the
setup involves a SSID and a PassPhrase to generate the WEP.

Is it normal to have both SSID and passphrase to generate the WEP?

My laptop has a built in ( non netgear ) wireless device but I can see
it transmitting packets but not receiving fro access point. But then,
it's setup does not include a passphrase as well as SSID.

Does anybody think I should replace the access point device with a new
router/access point.

Bottom line is, I want to get more than one PC online at once.

Thanks

Paul
6 answers Last reply
More about ssid question

    paulh@fsmail.net (HoHum) wrote in

    > I have a cable modem through a set top box and a NETGEAR wireless
    > access point and USB stick which was sent as a kit by service
    > provider, but this will only allow me to go online with a single
    > PC/Laptop at any one time.
    >
    > I think this has been set purposely by the service provider since the
    > setup involves a SSID and a PassPhrase to generate the WEP.
    >
    > Is it normal to have both SSID and passphrase to generate the WEP?
    >
    > My laptop has a built in ( non netgear ) wireless device but I can see
    > it transmitting packets but not receiving fro access point. But then,
    > it's setup does not include a passphrase as well as SSID.
    >
    > Does anybody think I should replace the access point device with a new
    > router/access point.
    >
    > Bottom line is, I want to get more than one PC online at once.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    If you want the home networking then you'll have to get your own
    equipment and support it yourself.

    Duane :)

    "HoHum" <paulh@fsmail.net> wrote in message
    >I have a cable modem through a set top box and a NETGEAR wireless
    > access point and USB stick which was sent as a kit by service
    > provider, but this will only allow me to go online with a single
    > PC/Laptop at any one time.
    >
    > I think this has been set purposely by the service provider since the
    > setup involves a SSID and a PassPhrase to generate the WEP.

    If the vendor is using off-the-shelf equipment like Netgear, then it is
    unlikely that they have changed the algorithm to generate WEP keys. It's
    probably based on just the passphrase.

    > Is it normal to have both SSID and passphrase to generate the WEP?

    Setting the SSID to some non-default value is a good idea. Normally this
    has nothing to do with WEP.

    > My laptop has a built in ( non netgear ) wireless device but I can see
    > it transmitting packets but not receiving fro access point. But then,
    > it's setup does not include a passphrase as well as SSID.
    >
    > Does anybody think I should replace the access point device with a new
    > router/access point.

    Yes. If you want to connect multiple computers, then you are creating a
    LAN. To connect your LAN to another network (the ISP's) requires a router.

    > Bottom line is, I want to get more than one PC online at once.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    On 6 Oct 2004 11:01:03 -0700, paulh@fsmail.net (HoHum) wrote:

    >I have a cable modem through a set top box and a NETGEAR wireless
    >access point and USB stick which was sent as a kit by service
    >provider, but this will only allow me to go online with a single
    >PC/Laptop at any one time.

    Who is this cable provider so that I can reserve a place in hell for
    them? Reverse DNS on your posting IP address shows:
    82-46-36-53.stb.ubr01.nail.blueyonder.co.uk
    which is owned by:
    cableinet.net
    with a service called "Blueyonder Broadband" which seems to be
    reselling Telewest Broadband:
    http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/internet.htm
    Is this your ISP? If so, which level of service do you subscribe to?
    There doesn't seem to be anything in the TOS (terms-o-service), AUS
    (acceptable use policy), COP (code of practice) and multiple FAQ's
    that limits the number of computahs that may be attached, or even
    mentions the USB key. What does it do? Authentication?

    >I think this has been set purposely by the service provider since the
    >setup involves a SSID and a PassPhrase to generate the WEP.

    Nope. There is no connection between the SSID or WEP key with user
    authentication which is probably being done by a RADIUS server.
    Authentication is probably a user name such as:
    thyself@blueyonder.co.uk
    and a password. The password may be a hashed or encrypted mess
    created by some crypto algorighm in the USB dongle.

    >Is it normal to have both SSID and passphrase to generate the WEP?

    No.

    >My laptop has a built in ( non netgear ) wireless device but I can see
    >it transmitting packets but not receiving fro access point. But then,
    >it's setup does not include a passphrase as well as SSID.

    Umm... That makes no sense. Let's try it the right way. Does your
    laptop "see" the unspecified Netgear wireless router SSID? If not,
    have you looked in the Netgear router configuration for what it should
    be?

    >Does anybody think I should replace the access point device with a new
    >router/access point.

    Nope. However, I would be interested to know what your ISP is doing
    with the USB dongle.

    Figure out some way to get to the unspecified Netgear wireless router
    configuration. See if DCHP is one, what channel it's running on,
    whether it uses WEP or WPA, whether it uses an external RADIUS server
    for WPA authentication, and whatever the SSID is suppose to be. Then,
    play with the laptop until you see the access point. Maybe turn OFF
    encrytion until you get a decent connection.

    >Bottom line is, I want to get more than one PC online at once.

    Bottome line for me is that it's not possible to advise you on what to
    do next without having a clue as to what the USB dongle does, what
    model Netgear you are using, what wireless contraption is in your
    PC/laptop, and what operating system and revision level your using.
    The more *NUMBERS* and detail you supply, the more specific the
    answers.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    Plug a router into the modem before your computers.

    "HoHum" <paulh@fsmail.net> wrote in message
    > I have a cable modem through a set top box and a NETGEAR wireless
    > access point and USB stick which was sent as a kit by service
    > provider, but this will only allow me to go online with a single
    > PC/Laptop at any one time.
    >
    > I think this has been set purposely by the service provider since the
    > setup involves a SSID and a PassPhrase to generate the WEP.
    >
    > Is it normal to have both SSID and passphrase to generate the WEP?
    >
    > My laptop has a built in ( non netgear ) wireless device but I can see
    > it transmitting packets but not receiving fro access point. But then,
    > it's setup does not include a passphrase as well as SSID.
    >
    > Does anybody think I should replace the access point device with a new
    > router/access point.
    >
    > Bottom line is, I want to get more than one PC online at once.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:31:44 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Jeff
    Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On 6 Oct 2004 11:01:03 -0700, paulh@fsmail.net (HoHum) wrote:
    >
    >>I have a cable modem through a set top box and a NETGEAR wireless
    >>access point and USB stick which was sent as a kit by service
    >>provider, but this will only allow me to go online with a single
    >>PC/Laptop at any one time.

    >with a service called "Blueyonder Broadband" which seems to be
    >reselling Telewest Broadband:

    Yup, telewest is an ISP in the UK, selling a service called "blueyonder".

    However you misunderstand the rest of his post. In common with most UK
    ISPs, the provider sends you a modem-type device which has only one port,
    hence you can't connect more than one PC. Theres nothing to stop you
    attaching a router to the STB or CM, in the normal way.

    >mentions the USB key. What does it do? Authentication?

    I think he means a usb wireless card.

    >>Does anybody think I should replace the access point device with a new
    >>router/access point.
    >
    >Nope.

    Unless Blueyonder have changed dramatically, this is incorrect. You can
    dump the supplied router and use your own if you want to. Or you can
    disable WEP on the router & re-enable it with your own keys.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:14:52 +0100, Mark McIntyre
    <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

    >>mentions the USB key. What does it do? Authentication?
    >I think he means a usb wireless card.

    Oh. I thought the "USB key" was an x.509 certificate storage and
    encryption/authentication USB key. I use one of those to access
    secure networks and for password storage.
    http://www.safenet-inc.com/products/ikey/ikey2000.asp
    Sorry about my bad guesswork in decoding the problem.

    >>>Does anybody think I should replace the access point device with a new
    >>>router/access point.
    >>
    >>Nope.

    >Unless Blueyonder have changed dramatically, this is incorrect. You can
    >dump the supplied router and use your own if you want to. Or you can
    >disable WEP on the router & re-enable it with your own keys.

    Now I understand. Thanks for the clarification and kindly ingore
    everything I previously posted.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Wireless SSID Wireless Networking