ASUS WONT HELP! DAMAGED BOARD

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
I was recently building a puter for my son so he could get online and play games, the delima starts here!
I have the ASUS a7n8x deluxe and others, so was used to working on asus boards, I took a quick look in the instruction manual for the ASUS A7V266 and saw the picture on how to clear the bios. When I removed and replaced the jumper, turned power on it fried my Motherboard and CPU!
I wrote them of this problem and got a response from the lead Tech man, below is a copy of the email i received:
Dear Sir;

Here is our Technical support reply for your kind reference.

Regards

Yasir ALka'ar

Operations Manager

ASUSTeK Middle East

UAE- Dubai, P.O.Box: 64133

Tel: +971 4 2831774

Fax: +971 4 2831775

Mob: +971 50 5506044

Yasir_Alkaar@asus.com.tw

MSN: alkaar@hotmail.com

Web: www.Asus.com.tw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Vincent1_Liu@asus.com.tw [mailto:Vincent1_Liu@asus.com.tw]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 9:50 AM
To: Yasir@asustek.ae
Cc: Jim_Chiou@asus.com.tw; Carol_ChienTW@asus.com.tw
Subject: RE: Serious Problem!

Dear Yasir,

In the user manual, you can see the procedure for clearing CMOS listed in page 22. In the third step, it says you have to remove the jumper cap after three seconds, then put the battery back and turn on your computer. If you put the jumper and turn on the system, it will burn. However, the sentence under the jumper may mislead the user to put the jumper cap and turn the system on at the same time. So actually we still have some responsibility for this case. We will remove the sentence and put a correction page on our website. But for the customer, would you please help to explain and take care of this case.

Vincent Liu

Phone: +886-2-28907176, Fax: +886-2-28907698
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Service Backup Group
Ruth Lu + 886-2-2890-7148 / Mice Kuo + 886-2-2890-7167

The email included his actual ID badge an all.
I have made numerous replies to the ASUS tech department but I get no response what so ever, I beleive with the response that they have sent me they should be responsible for something, at least tell me what the hell good it did to do this! This is so frustrating because I have been a loyal user of ASUS products. I would love to hear everyones opinion on what I should do next.
Please help and thank you.
PS: I have been trying to geta response for about 6 months now, any response. I have even called them via phone but am put on hold for too long, can barely afford to pay to build my 9 yr old son this computer let alone pay an outrageous phone bill trying to contact a company who could care less about the customer!
I know that if anyone can help, TomsHardware can!
I am very tempted to make a very large web site out of this as well, showing how much asus does not back their products up.

To err is human, too really screw things up you need a computer!

diabol

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
I can't help you but i want to say that
i mailed asus for a graphic card issue and after
3weeks i've got no answer still!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't see any possible way to fry the CPU by powering on the system with the clear CMOS jumper in the wrong position. You can fry the BIOS chip if you do that, but not the CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Well the CPU was fine until this, but being besides the point can anyone help me get ASUS's attention, surely they should do something about this. Maybe I will run a campaign web site about how there customer service actualy works.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Don't expect anything from Asus. I'm still waiting for a response to an email I sent almost a month ago. I just avoid recommending Asus from now on. After my misadventure with Asus, I bought a DFI board a few weeks back, and they answered two emails I sent within just a few hours. The answers were clear the first time, no follow up needed. Not only the DFI board rocks, the customer service is highly efficient as well. Drop Asus! They're on the downside on quality and customer service.
I know this doesn't help you with your current board, but getting an RMA or a clear answer from Asus is as easy as flying to the moon with two Kleenex tissues as wings.

Aromas

Distinguished
May 15, 2004
We have been using Asus hardware for couple of years now and I don't know what to say. Few months ago, an A7N8X just fried in a brand new case; there's was a flame and smell the hell. They gave us an RMA in 2 days and surprisingly they replace it. Usually, manufacturer don't care about physical damage. Like I said, we use Asus a lot. So I guess they "know" us now.
Today we asked a RMA for a VGA card; 2 hours later we got the number... And the problem was a "noisy fan".
I must admit their support (internet, phone, etc) is crap but the key with Asus seems to be simple:
1-You are definitely sure the mobo (or anyhing else) have a problem.
2-You have original proof of purchase with serial number on it.
3-Ask an RMA BUT don't be too explicit while explaining the problem (if they begin assuming it's your fault, it's over) ex: my VGA card is noisy...doh! it can't be my fault

In your case, you should have said something like you change the cpu and after booting up the system nothing happen. You tried the old cpu and same thing. You tried another board and everything's OK. You brought the board to a tech and blablabla blabla.

One final thing. DO NOT LIE to them but like I said don't say anything that can make them believing it's your fault.
If they give you an RMA, ship the board the board and prey.

Everything I shipped Asus, they replace it (under warranty). I'm assuming they test everything and find that they had no choice except to replace. The problem is to get the RMA but once you have it BINGO.

Hope this will help you approching them (and others) in the futur. LG are also tricky, it took us 2 weeks to know the procedure but since then, the replace their optical drives...

Anyway, goog luck.

Aromas

Past does not guarantee futur. This is rational but not reasonable. What are you?

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Yes but the thing is obiously it is not my fault, the lead tech man even admits their fault in his email. But now what?....they will answer nothing.

Aromas

Distinguished
May 15, 2004
Then, if you didn't give any serial number or other thing alike. Ask those who sold you the board to ask an RMA and let them ship the board under their name. If they don't want, find another store who can give you this kind of service. Where I buy my stuff, they have no problem with that, they have good service. Hope you can find the same near you.

Past does not guarantee futur. This is rational but not reasonable. What are you?