Tried to upgrade, something went wrong PLEASE HELP

kmfdmaddict

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
Yesterday I went and ought an Athlon 2500+, Abit NF7-S, 2x256 OCZ PC3200 and a new case. I took a GeForce 4 Ti4200, Maxtor HD, CD-R/W, and a 450PSU from my old case at put it in the new one. When I turned on the computer everything seemed fine until I looked at the monitor and saw it got no signal. I tried putting in my old Voodoo3 and had the same effect. Then I tried a diffrent monitor and still got no signal. I put the GeForce4 back into the old computer and it's running fine.

Anyone know what's going on? My only thought is that both PCI and AGP slots are screwed up on this mobo. The computer seems to boot fine, the CD-R/W flashes as in a normal boot and there are no beeps.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Yeah, sounds like slots are screwed. But you might try to post w/o the vid card and see if it gives the proper beep code. Don't know for sure, but I'm guessing if the slots are bad you w/n get the beep code.

Get the beep codes here if you don't already have 'em. I don't think they're in the manual.

<A HREF="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41852" target="_new">http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41852</A>

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 05/13/04 04:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read the first post in this forum, it sounds like you assembled something wrong.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

kmfdmaddict

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
Uh, what? Did you even read my post? I looked at the first topic (Motherboard FAQ) and it has nothing related to what my problem is.

Coyote: Thanks for the help. I took out the video card and turned it on and still no beep. I'm taking it back tomarrow, unfortunatly it's gunna be awhile until I can rebuild it. I'm going to have them check the CPU and RAM also, incase the faulty mobo did something to them.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KMFDMAddict on 05/14/04 07:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

diabol

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
I had exactly the same problem which was caused by...RAM.
If u haven't taken it back yet try working it with each
of those two DIMMs separately.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I read your post. From what I gather you turned the system on and all you got was a black screen. This can be caused by several things, including not having the square ATX 12v connector attached to the board (old power supplies didn't have that connector), a grounded board, or a drive cable problem. All that stuff was in the post I referred to.

It could also be a RAM problem, a board problem, or a CPU problem. But those are less likely to be the issue that the first things I referred to.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If U had one, I woulda tried a PCI gfx card & seen what happended then...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crash, what great patience and grace you have developed when dealing with unpleasant circumstances. You should be commended.
Good Luck,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)