nastiest bosspacks. ever.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

At the bottom of the steps to the Throne in hell was a doll pack, a
gloam pack with fanaticism, and some oks. I actually ran back down the
steps to see if I wasn't mistaken, said yep, thats what it is and
promptly bailed.

Takes all the fun out of trying to do a Baal run.

Sean

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Damn! How'd you make it back up without dieing?

Fun? Yeah but we must look at it as the "fun" is being taken out and
the "funny" is being put in. Except in hardcore of course. Now that
would be tragic.

Orion

Orion Ryder wrote:
> Damn! How'd you make it back up without dieing?

I had a big gang of Death Lord revives and drank two big purples both
trips down. My necro is a little short of 1k life, so his ball went
down quick, but the padding provided by the revives kept me alive.

unklbob wrote:
> At the bottom of the steps to the Throne in hell was a doll pack, a
> gloam pack with fanaticism, and some oks. I actually ran back down the
> steps to see if I wasn't mistaken, said yep, thats what it is and
> promptly bailed.

Holy cow. That's insane.

My Barb was doing a Hell Countess run and met up with a Holy Freeze,
Mana Burn Ghost boss (also PI, a'course), and some archer boss, whose
mods I never saw, at the stairs to lvl 5. Had to TP out about 8 times,
but I got 'em all.

But I think if there was a prize, you'd win. :)

Jill

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Nastiest pack of hellspwaen I've ever run into is a group of Death Lords
Mana Burn Extra Fast and cursed with Amp Damage. Cleaned a whole baal run
game of lvl 90's in about 45 seconds!!

Hehehehe
You think ur invicible until you come upon a group like that.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

In article <1126551526.862892.50500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
unklbob <mcgriswald@aol.com> wrote:
>At the bottom of the steps to the Throne in hell was a doll pack, a
>gloam pack with fanaticism, and some oks. I actually ran back down the
>steps to see if I wasn't mistaken, said yep, thats what it is and
>promptly bailed.
>
>Takes all the fun out of trying to do a Baal run.

Yes, entering the Throne Room is always a tricky moment, and I still dread
the moment I see the screen go black when I go down the stairs, and will
know in a few milliseconds what's waiting for me down those stairs.

However, the fact alone you ARE able to recount what packs, with which
aura's were waiting for you, signifies it couldn't have been _that_ bad.

It has happend to me once or twice (in many baal runs) that I stepped
down, and was dead in only a few rendered frames. Going back in with no
gear was hopeless (dead even sooner), leaving and re-entering the game to
get my body back and retry also proved hopeless: dead in a few tens of
seconds. To further avoid exp-loss, I bailed out. I have no idea what
precise auras were involved, but I could spot some Gloams, some Undead
Dolls, and some of those Death Lord types.

I'm also not sure what's more dangerous; a Gloam pack with Fanaticism, or
Might, or something like Cold Enchanted/Holy Freeze. (I assume a pack
cannot spawn with all three active at the same time...? :))

Bottom line: Be careful out there people, especially when stepping down
the stairs into Baal's Throne Room! :)

Regards,

Patrick.

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:eac36$4326d474$82a1d3bf$6338@news2.tudelft.nl...
> In article <1126551526.862892.50500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> unklbob <mcgriswald@aol.com> wrote:
> I'm also not sure what's more dangerous; a Gloam pack with Fanaticism, or
> Might, or something like Cold Enchanted/Holy Freeze. (I assume a pack
> cannot spawn with all three active at the same time...? :))

Fanat, Mana Burn and Holy Freeze dolls would pretty much be instant death
for almost any character I could think of. Especially if in combination
with OKs.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

In article <nUCVe.317$gK.188@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:eac36$4326d474$82a1d3bf$6338@news2.tudelft.nl...
>> In article <1126551526.862892.50500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>> unklbob <mcgriswald@aol.com> wrote:
>> I'm also not sure what's more dangerous; a Gloam pack with Fanaticism, or
>> Might, or something like Cold Enchanted/Holy Freeze. (I assume a pack
>> cannot spawn with all three active at the same time...? :))
>
>Fanat, Mana Burn and Holy Freeze dolls would pretty much be instant death
>for almost any character I could think of. Especially if in combination
>with OKs.

Dolls are nasty, very nasty, but only when they get near you and you're in
the range of their death explosion. So, yes, I would agree with you if you
appear in the middle of such a pack at the bottom of the Throne Room
stairs.

However, Gloam packs with nasty mods can 'reach out and touch you' from at
least 1.0-1.5 screens away. Also, Gloam lightning streams hurt your merc,
taking him (or her, in the case of an Act I archer) down really quickly.

A merc is, luckily I might add, immune to a dolls death explosion, because
if that was not the case, I would indeed rate those packs more dangerous
than Gloam packs...

As is, I still think Gloam packs are more dangerous still! :)

Regards,

Patrick.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:30:28 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn
<patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

>It has happend to me once or twice (in many baal runs) that I stepped
>down, and was dead in only a few rendered frames. Going back in with no
>gear was hopeless (dead even sooner), leaving and re-entering the game to
>get my body back and retry also proved hopeless: dead in a few tens of
>seconds. To further avoid exp-loss, I bailed out. I have no idea what
>precise auras were involved, but I could spot some Gloams, some Undead
>Dolls, and some of those Death Lord types.
>
>I'm also not sure what's more dangerous; a Gloam pack with Fanaticism, or
>Might, or something like Cold Enchanted/Holy Freeze. (I assume a pack
>cannot spawn with all three active at the same time...? :))

You can get multiple packs with pretty much any combination of aura
and other mod.

>Bottom line: Be careful out there people, especially when stepping down
>the stairs into Baal's Throne Room! :)

As much as this advice is appreciated, it is not altogether useful.
In some cases there is only one way to be careful enough to avoid
death to a stair trap, and that is not to go down the stairs, which
means you can't complete the quest, or the game. The possibility of
instant and unavoidable death in such cases is just another game
design error on Blizzard's part. Clearly, the server should not allow
anything to happen to a char until the player's screen is loaded and
his controls functional. The ridiculous "catch-up" phase where
everything happens (and especially, your char takes damage) at 100x
normal speed is just bad programming.

There is a very simple principle for video game design: if the player
can't see it or hear it, and can't respond to it, it doesn't happen.
The server should simply not put a char into a new level until after
it has received confirmation that the player's screen is loaded and
his controls functional. Going down to the Throne from WSK3 should
feel no different from going to the Cold Plains from the Blood Moor,
and there is no reason why it coundn't.

-- Roy L

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:07:02 GMT, royls@telus.net wrote:

>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:30:28 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn
>> <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
>>
>> >It has happend to me once or twice (in many baal runs) that I stepped
>> >down, and was dead in only a few rendered frames.
>>
>> There is a very simple principle for video game design: if the player
>> can't see it or hear it, and can't respond to it, it doesn't happen.
>> The server should simply not put a char into a new level until after
>> it has received confirmation that the player's screen is loaded and
>> his controls functional. Going down to the Throne from WSK3 should
>> feel no different from going to the Cold Plains from the Blood Moor,
>> and there is no reason why it coundn't.

A simple map change could cure this: the entry point is in an
ante-chamber that is ALWAYS empty.

Was in a baal run last night and a barb put up a tp when he went down
the stairs and typed 1.

I went through and ended up in a pack of fanat death lords right at the
door. And there were some souls in the corner shooting multiple
lightning hoses. I started dumping full rejuvies as I went for alt-ƒ4
and got out of the game with a couple hundred hit points left. (thank
God for BO as I had 2.4k hps on entering)

Came back to the game and told the barb if that was a 1 tp, I'd hate to
see his definition of 2. Someone else said it was more like a 4.
Unfortunately some sorc died going through the same door. Sometimes in
HC, you have to bail, and that was one of those times.

Vladesch wrote:
> Gloams arnt so much of a problem with maxed lightning resist and decent
> health.

Thats funny--I had about 23 LR, so it wouldn't have taken very long to
die.

When I am questing, particularly on the Plains of Despair, I use a
Sigons armor, a res all ammy, and some other items to max LR, but when
mfing, I lose a big chunk of res to equip the mf gear. Typically, in
the WSK, I can hide behind a wall when souls are present. At the
bottom of the stairs, there is no place to hide so discretion was the
better part of valor.

Last ladder season, I lost a lvl 80 HC necro to a similar situation,
but here I had enough revives to handle some of the impact.

Sean

"unklbob" <mcgriswald@aol.com> wrote in message
> At the bottom of the steps to the Throne in hell was a doll pack, a
> gloam pack with fanaticism, and some oks. I actually ran back down the
> steps to see if I wasn't mistaken, said yep, thats what it is and
> promptly bailed.
>
> Takes all the fun out of trying to do a Baal run.
>
> Sean

Death lords with pumped up melee mods are about as bad (extra strong,
spectral hit, fanaticism). About the only thing that can tank them is a
necro revive, and you cant kite them with cold.

<royls@telus.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:30:28 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn
> <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>>It has happend to me once or twice (in many baal runs) that I stepped
>>down, and was dead in only a few rendered frames. Going back in with no
>>gear was hopeless (dead even sooner), leaving and re-entering the game to
>>get my body back and retry also proved hopeless: dead in a few tens of
>>seconds. To further avoid exp-loss, I bailed out. I have no idea what
>>precise auras were involved, but I could spot some Gloams, some Undead
>>Dolls, and some of those Death Lord types.
>>
>>I'm also not sure what's more dangerous; a Gloam pack with Fanaticism, or
>>Might, or something like Cold Enchanted/Holy Freeze. (I assume a pack
>>cannot spawn with all three active at the same time...? :))
>
> You can get multiple packs with pretty much any combination of aura
> and other mod.
>
>>Bottom line: Be careful out there people, especially when stepping down
>>the stairs into Baal's Throne Room! :)
>
> As much as this advice is appreciated, it is not altogether useful.
> In some cases there is only one way to be careful enough to avoid
> death to a stair trap, and that is not to go down the stairs, which
> means you can't complete the quest, or the game. The possibility of
> instant and unavoidable death in such cases is just another game
> design error on Blizzard's part. Clearly, the server should not allow
> anything to happen to a char until the player's screen is loaded and
> his controls functional. The ridiculous "catch-up" phase where
> everything happens (and especially, your char takes damage) at 100x
> normal speed is just bad programming.
>
> There is a very simple principle for video game design: if the player
> can't see it or hear it, and can't respond to it, it doesn't happen.
> The server should simply not put a char into a new level until after
> it has received confirmation that the player's screen is loaded and
> his controls functional. Going down to the Throne from WSK3 should
> feel no different from going to the Cold Plains from the Blood Moor,
> and there is no reason why it coundn't.
>
> -- Roy L

.... or alternatively not spawn them right by the stairs.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

I was in Hell with a frenzy barb some years ago, and met a pack off fanat
dolls. I had over 2k life, but those bastards were taking three quarters of
it in one hit, and it wasn't even the boss that was hitting me! I was in the
swampy pit or some such, and I ended up running around in circles shooting
them with a bow. Been terrified of them ever since.

cheers
Adam

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:8de09$432700bf$82a1d3bf$29860@news1.tudelft.nl...