AP can be detected - can wireless card user be detected al..

bill

I see (via NetStumbler) all the cool stuff how via GPS an AP can be
detected. In an curious privacy question, is there any software that
allows the other end, the wireless card/laptop user, to be detected?
Via GPS? Etc?

Just curious

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Bill wrote:

> I see (via NetStumbler) all the cool stuff how via GPS an AP can be
> detected. In an curious privacy question, is there any software that
> allows the other end, the wireless card/laptop user, to be detected?
> Via GPS? Etc?
>
> Just curious

Note that GPS isn't involved in detecting the wireless radio. The GPS
interface built into NetStumbler is just a feature that supports logging of
*your* coordinates when the wireless signal was detected.

Roby

On 6 Oct 2004 14:34:18 -0700, 3726414@spamhole.com (Bill) wrote:

>I see (via NetStumbler) all the cool stuff how via GPS an AP can be
>detected.

The GPS has nothing to do with detecting access points. Netstumbler
will work just fine without a GPS. The GPS is nice for generating
maps of access point locations. The catch is that the maps will be of
your location when you heard the access point, and not of the access
point itself.

>In an curious privacy question, is there any software that
>allows the other end, the wireless card/laptop user, to be detected?
>Via GPS? Etc?

Yes. You would have to sniff the traffic with a packet sniffer. Each
user would have a seperate source MAC addresses. Any sniffer that
knows about 802.11 frames (Ethereal, Wild Packets, LinkFerret, etc)
will work.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

hans

Bill wrote:
> I see (via NetStumbler) all the cool stuff how via GPS an AP can be
> detected. In an curious privacy question, is there any software that
> allows the other end, the wireless card/laptop user, to be detected?
> Via GPS? Etc?
>
> Just curious

netstumbler detects ad hoc peers too.
the other end contains a tranmitter also.
hans

TRENDING THREADS